Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The whole "who really cares about cycling" or "does this story really matter?" thread

The whole "who really cares about cycling" or "does this story really matter?" thread
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2013, 12:18 PM

I've seen a lot of posts (reddit, facebook, twitter etc) of people saying, "Is the Lance Armstrong confession really relevant?" or "No one could name another cyclist besides him because cycling is irrelavent in the US"... It's really getting on my nerves because I feel like this story is a bigger deal than what people are making it out to be.

First and foremost, I am glad the man beat cancer. The livestrong foundation is a great thing. Hell, I'm not a "cycling" fan and I wore a livestrong bracelet for a long time. I've had family memebers lose to the battle of cancer so I support any foundation for cancer research etc.

The point I'm trying to drive to people is that Lance built his "story" on an initial truth- beating testicular cancer- followed by MANY lies by blood doping and winning (however) many Tour De France races in a row and becoming a what is now a faux American hero- not only to cycling fans- but to the average joe schmo American like myself. He has profited off of these lies, bullied people over and over and that it just bothers me that people are shrugging it off like "no big deal, cycling is dumb anyways..."

Am I the only one with these thoughts?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2013, 12:22 PM

I haven't been following closely but I've seen some implication that he may have gotten the cancer because of all the doping.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I haven't been following closely but I've seen some implication that he may have gotten the cancer because of all the doping.
This is the clincher.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2013, 01:03 PM

Exactly.

Livestrong did/does great work, it's a real shame that the cause is suffering because of this.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2013, 01:05 PM

Well, if there's one thing to take away from this is this may have turned into a ying-yang situation. Armstrong getting cancer for trying to win the Tour may have lead to millions being donated for cancer research.

mindwaves
Jan 18, 2013, 01:09 PM

I'm in the "I don't care about any sport" category, but still donate to cancer research.

I'm a City of Hope cancer research donor.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2013, 01:20 PM

Is this irony or are the ads pulling from the comments?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2013, 01:22 PM

I doubt that anyone can win the Tour de France without doping. I've driven up some of the hills that they climb in the Alps and for them to average whatever miles per hour takes some serious power. When this stuff started coming out, IIRC, they couldn't find anyone in the top 3 for a few years of the Tour de France to give the winner's medal to instead of Armstrong. They had all been caught taking drugs.

Armstrong had cancer in 96 and won his first Tour in 99. The drugs may have had something to do with his cancer, but it sure as hell didn't stop him doping for his Tour wins.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2013, 01:23 PM

Win is a very odd word choice. If no one was doping someone would have to win unless you think they'd all die trying or something.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2013, 04:32 PM

The doping doesn't bother me, it's him being an asshole covering it up.

Of course much of this is their word against his. As luck would have it we have a track record when it comes to Lance's word.

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2013, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
I've seen a lot of posts (reddit, facebook, twitter etc) of people saying, "Is the Lance Armstrong confession really relevant?" or "No one could name another cyclist besides him because cycling is irrelavent in the US"... It's really getting on my nerves because I feel like this story is a bigger deal than what people are making it out to be.
Where are you reading these posts? That might matter a great deal.

From what I've seen, it's a pretty big deal, at least around here. Not only in the media, but I've heard a lot of students talking about it, too. Of course, I'm in his home state of Texas, and some people are pretty riled up that he has represent them, too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules