Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Anyone managed to get scratches on the iPhone screen yet?

Anyone managed to get scratches on the iPhone screen yet?
Moonray
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2007, 12:57 AM

Anyone managed to get scratches on the iPhone screen yet?

I'm just curious if you really don't need to care about screen damage.
And how thick is the screen glass, and what happens to the display if you bend the iPhone?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2007, 02:11 AM

No scratches on mine. So far so good. (**knocks on wood**) I've been carrying my iPhone in my pocket without a case or screen protector. Sometimes my iPhone shares a pocket with my keys or loose change. That glass is pretty scratch resistant.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2007, 02:00 PM

wow...ballsy
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

CIA
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2007, 04:03 PM

Same here, no case, bouncing around my pockets with keys, change, lighters, etc. The front is still clean and scratch free, altho the silver part of the back is starting to show a few scuffs. I need to get a case for it. I noticed the multi-touch will still work with plastic over the screen, so I should probably buy a thin case or screen protector just in case.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 10, 2007, 11:37 PM

The Ars Technica review is up, with their patented stress test. They scraped the screen with keys and a pocket knife, put it in a bag with rocks and random junk and shook it up, and got no scratches. Then they skidded it along the sidewalk a couple of times, and still only managed to get one microscopic scratch. They dropped it on a concrete sidewalk three times and finally got some more noticeable damage (small crack in the screen and minor scratching) although the phone still worked fine. Then they had a guy step on it, with it face-down on the sidewalk. The screen got some major cracks (I imagine that there was a small pebble or something that the man's weight pressed into the screen) but it still worked fine. Then they threw it off a third-story balcony. This finally broke the touch screen functionality, although it still displayed things fine. The iPhone finally died after being sent to an ignominious death in a toilet.

In short, it's damn sturdy.

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2007, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
The Ars Technica review is up, with their patented stress test. The iPhone finally died after being sent to an ignominious death in a toilet.
Oh the horror of it all.

Just hearing this recounting kind of turned my stomach. I remember when they did the same thing with first nano (which didn't do nearly as well on the scratch resistance). I wonder if they had any pangs of guilt...

Review or no review...I don't think I could have brought myself to stomp and flush my iPhone...even if you told me you'd buy me another.

It could have been a contender!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 07:10 AM

I keep mine in an incase rubber case, and I just ordered the Invisible Shield for it. So far no scratches, and this thread is making me regret buying the shield.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2007, 08:25 AM

I had the belken acrilic case for it but it was too bulky for me and it fit slightly loose so I took it off and it rides in my pocket raw now. I think I might just get a belt pouch for it but Im gonna keep it nude.
( Last edited by MacinTommy; Jul 12, 2007 at 08:36 AM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
I had the belken acrilic case for it but it was too bulky for me and it fit slightly loose so I took it off and it rides in my pocket raw now. I think I might just get a belt pouch for it but Im gonna keep it nude.
Apparently that belkin acrylic case is loose enough that it's scratching up iPhones - dust and small rocks are getting under the case and being rubbed into the phone.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2007, 09:28 AM

yeah i forgot to mention that..... you have to look extremely close but on the mirrored metal part of my iphone you can see a few little marks.. usually Im very OCD about these things but the marks are small enough that Im not worried... but i did notice

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2007, 09:47 AM

Mine is in one of my pockets but it is alone. I keep keys and my wallet in other pockets.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
yeah i forgot to mention that..... you have to look extremely close but on the mirrored metal part of my iphone you can see a few little marks.. usually Im very OCD about these things but the marks are small enough that Im not worried... but i did notice
I have the same marks on the same area on my iPhone. And I'm also very anal about keeping it looking as perfect as possible. But like you, I notice it, but it doesn't bug me. The screen is still pristine, and the back still looks perfect as well.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 12, 2007, 12:19 PM

I got some microscopic scratches on the chrome bezel around the screen when I dropped it on my desk yesterday. They're really only noticeable if you're looking for them closely. But the chrome might be where we're going to see the first signs of wear and tear.

krove
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2007, 07:11 PM

No scratches on mine. I've been carrying it naked in my pocket, no case or screen protector, solo without keys or other stuff.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 12, 2007, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by dpicardi View Post
Oh the horror of it all.

Just hearing this recounting kind of turned my stomach. I remember when they did the same thing with first nano (which didn't do nearly as well on the scratch resistance). I wonder if they had any pangs of guilt...

Review or no review...I don't think I could have brought myself to stomp and flush my iPhone...even if you told me you'd buy me another.

It could have been a contender!
If that turned your stomach, DO NOT WATCH THIS!!!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 12, 2007, 08:10 PM

I know, that video is surreal. I can't believe that it just turns into black dust at the end. That's some blender.

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2007, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
Funny that you pointed to this. I was surfing YouTube late last night on the AppleTV and ran into this guy.

I liked the light sticks!

But I draw the line at an iPhone. How absurd.

Some people have way too much money and time on their hands. I know it is supposed to be cool and funny but when I think of how unbelievably wasteful that is...ok ok the tag line "will it blend?" IS pretty damn funny.

Even if he is a dork.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2007, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by dpicardi View Post
Funny that you pointed to this. I was surfing YouTube late last night on the AppleTV and ran into this guy.

I liked the light sticks!

But I draw the line at an iPhone. How absurd.

Some people have way too much money and time on their hands. I know it is supposed to be cool and funny but when I think of how unbelievably wasteful that is...ok ok the tag line "will it blend?" IS pretty damn funny.

Even if he is a dork.
I bet he can write that iPhone off on his taxes. And I bet he was getting all sorts of requests to do it. I would've done it too if I was him.

kinagoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2007, 09:35 PM

I have the Incase rubber body its great, I dropped it the other day it bounced a couple times but did no dammage + it doesn't affect the iphones pretty face and the grip is great...

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 12, 2007, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I bet he can write that iPhone off on his taxes. And I bet he was getting all sorts of requests to do it. I would've done it too if I was him.
The discussions I've seen point to the series of "Will it blend?" videos are a form of advertising for the blender; and $500 (let's assume he did the 4 GB iPhone) plus a little studio time is a pretty cheap ad, and how many times has it been viewed?

I don't think he paid for it in the first place.

To add to the topic of discussion; I dropped mine from a shirt pocket, glass-down on the asphalt, and zero scratches. All I got was a couple small nicks on the silver bezel and a couple more on two corners, but that was it.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2007, 11:29 PM

Update.

It appears that I have few small scratches on the chrome bezel. There's a few more on the Apple logo as well. You really have to be looking for the scratches to even notice them. The screen is still in perfect condition after 2 weeks sharing my pockets with keys, coins, and ear buds. I can't believe how scratch resistant the screen is. As for fingerprints, well that's another story.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

MacTheKnife
Jul 13, 2007, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Update.

It appears that I have few small scratches on the chrome bezel. There's a few more on the Apple logo as well. You really have to be looking for the scratches to even notice them. The screen is still in perfect condition after 2 weeks sharing my pockets with keys, coins, and ear buds. I can't believe how scratch resistant the screen is. As for fingerprints, well that's another story.
I just exchanged my iPhone, because my battery was losing recharging ability, and I noticed a lot of tiny scratches all over the chrome bezel. I don't know where those come from because I treat my iPhone gingerly and I carry it in its Griffin Holster case. It appears that holsters, like the white transparent cases, can cause micro-scratches too!

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2007, 02:15 PM

Amazingly, my wife managed it!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2007, 08:53 PM

I've gotten some tiny scratches on the chrome bezel, although I'm not sure how. It seems to be the most vulnerable part of the case. The screen is in perfect shape, which is what really matters. Thank you, Apple, for not settling on a plastic screen.

Bounce_Tigger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2007, 10:29 PM

A colleague of mine demonstrated the scratch test right in front of me - pulled out his bare iPhone, scratched a key across the screen (hard enough to make me cringe), buffed it up with screen cleaner and it was flawless

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2007, 01:09 PM

I took a key to my screen yesterday.
Some friends were over and were all over the iPhone. One made a comment about the screen and having to be careful with it, or else it will quickly be covered in scratches. I took my keys and ran them across the screen a few times. Everyone thought I was mad, but was very impressed when it was perfectly scratch free afterwards.

manfredfunco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2007, 03:13 PM

My iPhone screen was pristine until last night when I decided to wipe off the smudges with the cloth that came with it. I apparently applied too much pressure and there must have been something on the cloth (or phone). After cleaning I now have a nice new vertical scratch in the middle of the screen. If i would have cleaned with a key, it'd probably be fine When the phone is on, you can't see the scratch however.

Be careful not to apply too pressure when cleaning. Or, don't get too picky about light smudges on the screen. It happens. In many cases, when the phone is on, you don't even notice the smudges.

NoBadBreaks9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2007, 05:41 AM

my gf dropped hers on the treadmill at the gym, full clip. scratched the screen

vln2
Jul 21, 2007, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by manfredfunco View Post
My iPhone screen was pristine until last night when I decided to wipe off the smudges with the cloth that came with it. I apparently applied too much pressure and there must have been something on the cloth (or phone). After cleaning I now have a nice new vertical scratch in the middle of the screen. If i would have cleaned with a key, it'd probably be fine
I think that cloth is great. You probably had some dirt on top of the screen which could have scratched it when applying pressure on the cloth.
I use first couple drops of water and spread it evenly on the screen trying to dissolve any dirt then gently rub that against soft cotton material like a shirt to take most of the dirt off. Only then I use the enclosed cloth for final cleaning and it comes out perfectly. If you use that cloth for every day cleaning it will collect massive amounts of dirt and surely will scratch the screen.

dawho9
Senior User
Jul 21, 2007, 09:15 AM

And this is why I have a crystal screen cover on mine.

Other than that its completely naked. I have one small scratch on the chrome but the screen is perfect.

dw9
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2007, 03:48 PM

I'm sorry to point this out but no matter what you do, shy of never removing it from the box, yr iPhone won't be perfect forever. It just won't.

There there, now doesn't that feel better?

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2007, 04:00 PM

I took some diamonds and tried to scratch the screen. it scratched it up pretty bad. what a piece of junk.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2007, 11:17 AM

I find it amusing how with every new product Apple develops, the "scratches or cracks" thread soon appears. Why not just make a "discuss the scratches and/or cracks" sticky every time a new product is introduced? That would save a lot of time and trouble.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
I took some diamonds and tried to scratch the screen. it scratched it up pretty bad. what a piece of junk.
Yeah. Goddamn diamonds.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2007, 03:50 PM

That's why I only buy my girlfriend cubic zirconia. Last thing I want is for her ring to scratch my iPhone while her hands are in my pockets.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2007, 04:44 PM

iSmoke!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2007, 12:23 AM

The discussions I've seen point to the series of "Will it blend?" videos are a form of advertising for the blender; and $500 (let's assume he did the 4 GB iPhone) plus a little studio time is a pretty cheap ad, and how many times has it been viewed?

I don't think he paid for it in the first place.

To add to the topic of discussion; I dropped mine from a shirt pocket, glass-down on the asphalt, and zero scratches. All I got was a couple small nicks on the silver bezel and a couple more on two corners, but that was it.
on top of that, I remember they ebayed the blender and blended ipod when they blended it and it went for $700 I think.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules