Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone + Skype: Take a Deep Breath

iPhone + Skype: Take a Deep Breath
freudling
Banned
Aug 14, 2007, 11:31 PM

Anyone manage to get skype going on the iPhone?

The messaging works with the below link, which is also advertised on MacNN's homepage. Anyone actually succeed in even making a call to a skype contact on line and getting voice like shape services claims you can do, or calling a landline/mobile?

All this is of course over wifi using the below service.

http://skypeforiphone.com

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 15, 2007, 05:29 PM

Come on, somebody must be testing this as well...

I can't get the calls to go through, either to landlines/mobiles, or to skype contacts online.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2007, 08:43 PM

The service won't make Skype calls. It only sends Skype users your phone number so they can call you, with you using your normal ATT plan.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 16, 2007, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
The service won't make Skype calls. It only sends Skype users your phone number so they can call you, with you using your normal ATT plan.
success. I phoned my parents long distance with the Skype service mentioned above. I used skype on the iPhone, entered my # and the destination #, my cell wrang and connected me to my parents. Since I get unlimited incoming calls, the call was free.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 16, 2007, 03:02 AM

How do you have unlimited incoming calls?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 04:39 AM

They're only free if he wrings the phone until it gives up.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 16, 2007, 04:44 AM

Using Fido SIM card. Check out Turbo SIM method...

With Fido SIM, for 1 dollar per day, I get unlimited incoming calls. Of course, I have to pay for every outgoing call, but for the business, incoming calls work great.

Oh, you thought I was using AT&T... Anyway, the Skype portal works, and well. You can make calls like I have mentioned, or simply talk to your skype contacts via message or voice. It is really neat to see skype on the iPhone. In fact, it almost makes the experience better. However, I do realize this is a webservice, not a full skype app on the iPhone.

dbranham
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2007, 10:19 AM

I've never used skype, and quite honestly don't really understand how it works. But after seeing that skype was coming to the iPhone, I began considering its viability as a way to do much of my calling. In other words, is it a bad idea to get ATT's minimum minute calling plan with plans to use skype unlimited calling to make up for the rest of my calling needs? If I didn't articulate this question clearly enough, tell me and I'll try again.
Old Times There Are Not Forgotten

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 16, 2007, 10:44 AM

The way it's currently implemented, you have to use your voice minutes anyway to receive the call you get, so that wouldn't work very well.

vln2
Aug 16, 2007, 12:37 PM

There are so many cheap long distance options that I can not understand why anyone would want to fight network traffic on Skype. Not to mention that they now have software glitches.
I've been using a company someone told me about and it costs me 3 cents a minute to Europe. All I have to do is use the access number.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 16, 2007, 04:22 PM

vln2:

What company is that?

You also have to understand that for 30 bucks a year, you get unlimited calling to anywhere in the US and Canada, anytime. Your option is good for long distance, but when you make calls locally it will begin to add up in cost. So skype not only is cheap for long distance (about 3 cents), but virtually free for local calls, and dirt cheap for USA/Canada.

The amount of calling I have done, it will end up, after 12 months, of costing a tiny fraction of a fraction of a cent per minute for my phone calls across Canada and the US.

vln2
Aug 16, 2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
vln2:
What company is that?
I really do not like to advertise but everyone's situation is different.
It is WDT out of Chicago. Friend of mine recommended it over year ago and I've been using them to call different countries in Europe. I use it with my cell phone.

I used Vonage at home but with Verizon FIOS they now gave me cheaper deal so I switched. New Verizon FIOS phone package with unlimited long distance to US/CAnada is less then basic phone package I used to have with Verizon. I think this deal is only for FIOS. I am never home so this is not something I will end up using.
( Last edited by vln2; Aug 17, 2007 at 01:42 AM. )

macnmorecom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2007, 06:32 PM

Here is a great explanation on how to use skype and other services on your iphone: International-Orders.com - International-Shopping - Powered by Go-Global - iPhone and Skype unlock and activation

solofx7
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2007, 12:14 PM

how do you get skype to work on the iphone.
i have a full skype account and tried to use skypeforiphone.com and it would not work at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules