Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Games hanging during play - hardware?

Games hanging during play - hardware?
hotani
Senior User
Mar 10, 2006, 12:19 PM

I have been playing Halo on my 17" LCD and it's been fine. Not fast, but certainly playable. Other games played decent as well, with varying degrees of success - UT2004 has not even been able to load for some time now, but 2003 would work.

Now I upgrade my monitor and am pushing 1920x1080 (still can only go to 1280x1024 in UT2003). Gameplay hangs severely. If I'm moving around, everything will stop for about 10 seconds then resume. This happens in ALL games. I even tried an older game, Quake II and it did the same thing. Does this sound like a GPU issue? I'm wondering if it is overheating or something, I only get this during 3D gaming.

Machine: 2x867 G4
GPU: GeForce Ti 128MB
RAM: 1.3GB
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 01:19 PM

Using OS X 10.4.5 I presume?

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Mar 10, 2006, 02:36 PM

yes, 10.4.whatever the latest happens to be from software update.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Mar 11, 2006, 06:11 PM

I have a theory on what the problem might be, if anyone else sees similar problems in 3D games. I suspect the fan on my GPU is dying or dead. So I'll replace it and see what happens. It is a replacement fan for the original which started clicking - then whining - then died, which was accompanied by, you guessed it, lock-ups in video performance. This one clicked quietly for a little while, then got quiet. I think it just slowed down rather than making louder noises.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Mar 13, 2006, 12:38 PM

new fan fixed the problem, but not after some frustration. Turns out when I put in the new heatsink/fan, the fan wasn't working. I had to go in and tinker with it for a while before it would spin up. All is working now, I can get back to my games.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

mr faisal
Baninated
Mar 14, 2006, 04:32 PM

They thanked my brother for the news

Forum Links
Forum Rules