Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Need some help with this possible setup

Need some help with this possible setup
Darkfire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2006, 06:39 PM

OK guys. I need some help figuring out just how I am going to get to my PC/Mac setup to work with the mouse and keyboard I want, or if it will be possible at all.

My setup would be as follows:
PC Desktop
MacBook Pro
Apple Wireless Keyboard
Logitech MX-700 USB Wireless Mouse

I would like to be able to use the Apple Wireless Keyboard and the Logitech MX-700 back and forth between my MacBook and PC.

I will definetly need a USB Bluetooth adapter for my PC desktop to be able to recognize the keyboard. I think I will also need some kind of switch for the USB mouse that is not bluetooth (unless I opt to purchase the MX-900 instead of the MX-700)

I found these pages through a google search that have helped:
http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofivers...p/t285546.html
http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum105/259.htm
http://www.macwindows.com/keytips.html

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Darkfire  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2006, 10:05 AM

Anybody have any input..?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 17, 2006, 10:52 AM

I am speaking only hypothetically, not from experience, but:

I doubt you can use the keyboard how you want. Most likely, it can only be "paired" to one device at a time. That's way too annoying a process to do constantly.

I'd suggest a non-Bluetooth wireless setup, plus a USB KVM that can switch the whole shebang (including the USB receiver) from one machine to the other.

tooki

Darkfire  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2006, 11:39 PM

OK, so what if I use the wired Apple keyboard instead of the wireless one. Both the keyboard and mouse will be USB so I will need a USB KVM Switch right? Do they generally all work with mac's or I have to look for on that specifies being mac compatible.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 19, 2006, 02:57 PM

Yes, a USB KVM as I said above. Get a "dumb" one that does NOT allow you to switch computer from the keyboard. Those do weird things that cause problems. If you get one with a mechanical switch, you can be just about guaranteed it'll work.

Most mice are Mac compatible. Two-button scrolling mice need no special drivers. My main mouse is a basic Logitech optical, which I use without Logitech's drivers.

You don't have to get an Apple-branded keyboard. MS and Logitech both sell keyboards with drivers for Mac and Win, and Logitech even has some models with keys that are marked with the modifier key symbols for Mac and Win.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules