Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Aperture 3

Aperture 3 (Page 2)
richwig83
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2010, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
before the filename? that's tacked onto the end of photos when you create a second version. can you show us an example?

Like that.... as you can see its a PITA when trying to locate files!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

OreoCookie
Feb 18, 2010, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I have 4 GB and it's not enough... Even after the update, when I go to import photos, RAM usage goes all the way up and it starts paging out like crazy. Really frustrating. I'm thinking of asking for my money back since I can't use this.
That blows. I'll be upgrading my machine soon and I thought getting 4 GB would make a difference

Although after finishing the conversion of my library, Aperture 3 seems snappier than Aperture 2 I won't have time until the weekend to really take Aperture for a spin, though.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2010, 06:00 AM

It seems to take lest time to load the FULL res version of images in Ap3... even with 21mp raw files!

Demonhood
Administrator
Feb 18, 2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post

Like that.... as you can see its a PITA when trying to locate files!
is that on every single photo? does removing it in the metadata change it in that bottom browser?

richwig83
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
is that on every single photo? does removing it in the metadata change it in that bottom browser?
Yes... every single photo... both pre upgrade and since upgrading!

There is nothing in the Metadata to remove... the file names are as they should be... IMG_5221 for example... the Version name is being added by the software!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 19, 2010, 07:07 PM

Coworker has a 57GB Aperture library, and about 64GB free space on his drive. Ever since he installed 3, Aperture loads up, starts scanning faces, and basically cripples his machine. (Interestingly, Activity Monitor doesn't show the CPU maxed, and there is free RAM.)

If he lets it go (he let it go 9 hours last time) it slowly fills up his hard drive, to the point that Aperture tells him there is no more disk space.

Anyone else seen this or have any suggestions?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
That blows. I'll be upgrading my machine soon and I thought getting 4 GB would make a difference

Although after finishing the conversion of my library, Aperture 3 seems snappier than Aperture 2 I won't have time until the weekend to really take Aperture for a spin, though.
Yes, for me it's snappier than Aperture 2 until I import a batch of photos.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
Yes... every single photo... both pre upgrade and since upgrading!

There is nothing in the Metadata to remove... the file names are as they should be... IMG_5221 for example... the Version name is being added by the software!
Any ideas PLEASE..... someone must know how to remove the prefix!

Edit... figure it out.. you can all stop looking now!! ;-)

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 22, 2010, 04:55 PM

^ So what was it then? Some setting somewhere?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2010, 03:42 PM

Soooooo... is it just my computer, or does Aperture 3 really have some serious system requirements?

I'm on the lower end of the "Recommended Specs" – a 2.2 GHz C2D Macbook Pro, 120 gig HDD, 128 meg GeForce 8600M GT, etc. etc. – but I do have 4 gigs of RAM. It's... almost unusable. I've got a project with 485 pics and even switching between pictures (Pressing the arrow key) causes the computer to freeze for a couple seconds until the next picture pops up.

Retouching is literally "Place circle –> Press mouse –> Wait 10 seconds as entire computer freezes during processing and mouse pointer becomes impossibly jerky –> Find out if you got desired effect."

Is this par for the course with Aperture 3? I mean, I didn't expect it to be super smooth, but at this rate it would take me 3-4 minutes just to make a couple minor touchups (contrast, sat, rotate, crop, retouch) to each picture. This is just painful.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2010, 06:38 PM

Nothing eh?

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 30, 2010, 07:01 PM

my setup isn't anything like yours, so i can't so whether or not your experience is typical. sorry.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 30, 2010, 07:32 PM

It’s a bit sluggish sometimes on my laptop, but not nearly as much as what you describe there.

(13” MacBook Pro, too lazy to look up the specs … I think 2.0 GHz C2D, 100 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, but 256 MB GeForce 9400M … I think.)

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2010, 12:28 PM

Hmmmm... I can't imagine it would be so heavily GPU dependant huh?

I notice I have the greatest problem when switching between adjustments – for example if I use the Contrast tool, then switch to the Saturation tool, then switch to the Highlights tool. It always ends up freezing up when I first start using the slider - the picture gets blurry as it awaits processing and everything slows down. After this initial period, then I can usually drag the slider far more freely and with more instantaneous results.

Kinda disappointing, for me.

OreoCookie
Apr 1, 2010, 05:37 AM

After using Aperture 3 for a bit, it really, really, really makes me long for new RAM. (I won't upgrade my current machine, I'm waiting for new ProBooks.)

Places and Faces can be kinda slow. The interface of Faces annoys me a bit, but other than that, I think it's ok. Places is actually a very good idea. I tried to emulate this by entering data into the various metadata fields, but it is a lot easier if you use Places.

I'll reserve my judgement until I get my new machine. So far, my impression is that (1) Places and Faces looks as if it is bolted on as if they'd asked the guys from the iPhoto team to lend them a helping hand.
(2) Many areas such as Books seem as if they haven't been touched at all.
(3) Apart from Places and Faces, Aperture 3 feels faster.
(4) Localized edits are good, but I'd like to see some improvements. Perhaps I need a Wacom Bamboo?
(5) Aperture is still missing competent noise reduction, Adobe is making a lot of progress here with Lightroom 3. This could be ameliorated if Apple allowed plugins to be integrated into the standard hud and we could use things like Noise Ninja just as if it were supplied by Apple. (Apple could just buy the companies behind Noise Ninja and Viveeza, the spare change under the sofa should suffice. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Art743
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
It took 2 hours to upgrade my 92gb Library and it's busy doing face detection on all of the photos right now.

All in all I am really impressed with this upgrade. I haven't gotten to play with it all that much since I've been busy working but what I have seen is impressive.
About a month later, I am about where you are in your post above (but not coming from iPhoto, just files). I am so far very impressed with the faces feature, but am concerned about slowness. A lot of topics are in this thread, but I would like some info on the speed concerns involving faces.

Background is that i converted to digital photography in 1999, and have scanned many print photos, some dating all the way back to 1945 (I was 1 year old, and the photos were of my birthday!). But to make a long story short, I never settled on a filing system, so I now have a hopelessly confused mess of about 30,000 photos, probably 20% are important because of who is in them. Faces has initially done a super job of sorting these files, and seem to get better as it "learns", and I am happy enough with it to buy Aperture 3 if that was all it did. I have found many photos of people I did not know I still had.

Now the question. This seems like hard work, and despite the fact that I am using an adequate machine, a slightly older Mac Pro with 8GB and a 3870 video card, I do get the beach ball a lot, and my CPU shows 100% commitment for some time. This actually is not a problem for me right now, because it is grinding its way through a huge mess.

So here is the question. After a few days/weeks, when all this initial stuff is done, does it run faster? Are there things you can do, like with preference settings, and with "smart folders" of some kind, to make it easier.

Can this be done?

Though I am not new to digital photography, or computers, I have never been willing to work on a "Library-based" program long enough to understand how it works. So with regard to programs like this I am a real novice.

1) will it run fast enough, and
2) can things be done to make it faster in the future, after the basic existing library had been cataloged?

I thank you, and appreciate the help.

Arthur in Baton Rouge

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2010, 02:55 PM

Once Aperture has finished going through all of your photos to do face detection and all of the other initial tasks it is a lot faster.

I have a 15" MacBook Pro 2.53ghz with 4Gb of memory and once in a while I get beach-balling while working in Aperture, but it is a lot less than when I first installed Aperture. Also we're on Aperture 3.0.2 (somewhere around there) and it is a lot faster than 3.0.

Even though we have Places, I have a geographical library setup.
I have folders for countries, subfolders for cities, and then individual projects for actual projects. Projects are created based on a day's worth of shooting. If I'm going to take photos in the park, that becomes a project.
Some city subfolders have further subfolders since my home city subfolder has a lot of projects. I shoot a lot of baseball and softball games, so I have a subfolder specifically for baseball.

This type of structure has helped me keep 30,000 photos nicely organized and has reduced the time it takes me to find a specific photo.

Art743
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2010, 11:42 PM

Thanks, and I am discovering that as well. The other thing is that, once the large globel issues are resolved, I am working in smaller file groups, and the speed is acceptable, even normal.
So we'll see.

Forum Links
Forum Rules