Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone HD ?

iPhone HD ? (Page 2)
torsoboy
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 12:36 PM

I'll bet someone at Apple is toast for this. This is the first time that I know of that a non-released Apple device has been found and posted online. It kind of takes the thunder out of the release announcement (that isn't planned for another couple of months!). I can just imaging Steve Jobs throwing a huge tantrum right now.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 12:42 PM

Might be a prototype but it's definitely made by Apple. If that's the real thing heads are definitely rolling as we speak.

As far as the phone goes... I like it. Has a nice solid look to it.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 12:42 PM

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 12:44 PM

I like the flatness/squareness of it. looks more professional to me. I was never a huge fan of the rounded back in the 3G/3GS

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2010, 12:53 PM

iPhone 3G HD

finboy
Apr 19, 2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by tupsy0 View Post
Thre are millions of people out there that don't see the iPad as just a large iPod touch and are proving it with their hard earned cash. The problem with the iPad is it's a new product.
As somebody who uses the iTouch an hour per day, minimum, to get work done, a bigger one sounds good to me. As long as I can put PDFs on it, I'm golden. People are waiting to see how it holds up, app support, etc. Once we see what the long-term properties of it are, it's going to be tremendous. Nobody really doubts its potential at this point, from what I've seen.

torsoboy
Mac Elite

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Might be a prototype but it's definitely made by Apple. If that's the real thing heads are definitely rolling as we speak.

As far as the phone goes... I like it. Has a nice solid look to it.
According to gizmodo, it has been reported lost by Apple:

Apple-connected John Gruber—from Daring Fireball—says that Apple has indeed lost a prototype iPhone and they want it back:

"So I called around, and I now believe this is an actual unit from Apple — a unit Apple is very interested in getting back."

Obviously someone found it, and here it is.

Brien
Professional Poster

I'd like to see if that mockup in Engadget's comments has any truth, where the hole next to the headphone jack was for a paperclip, and those seams are for a door that swings out to access the battery/etc.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2010, 12:59 PM

The styling seems like a step backwards. The edge reminds me a little of the Slate. Otherwise, whatever.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
I like the flatness/squareness of it. looks more professional to me. I was never a huge fan of the rounded back in the 3G/3GS
Same here. I also noticed that the aluminum frame around it extends the furthest and the back doesn't quite reach to the edges. This is good as it means if you drop it and it lands on the corner the metal gets the impact. I assume all those seams are there so it can be easily opened and replaced by apple rather than replacing the entire phone.

It also means the cracking plastic case at all the thin points on the 3G design is totally solved. I know for sure that this was a huge concern.

Very very slick design apple. It is exactly as I have been dreaming of for years. Can't wait to get it.

-Q-
Apr 19, 2010, 01:10 PM

I think they just want it back so they know who to have killed.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2010, 01:13 PM

I imagine who needs to be killed is pretty obvious already.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2010, 01:14 PM

Looks pretty nice to me.

The only way it could get any better is if they opened it up to more US carriers.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2010, 01:15 PM

I'm hoping that this is indeed close to the final design. I don't like all of the seams, so I'm hoping they make it more unibody or at least tighten up all of the seams. I don't give a rats ass about a removable battery, and I really don't think its high on Apple's priority list either. Especially now that they seem to have made a large leap in battery life with the iPad's battery. And I hope they change those buttons. They seem a bit gaudy to me. But I like the square-is design, closer to the original iPhone design. I'm not a huge fan of the current 3G case design.

-Q-
Apr 19, 2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I imagine who needs to be killed is pretty obvious already.
I'm sure, but I'd imagine SJ wants to beat them to death with the prototype that was lost. Ironic justice, and all that.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Same here. I also noticed that the aluminum frame around it extends the furthest and the back doesn't quite reach to the edges. This is good as it means if you drop it and it lands on the corner the metal gets the impact. I assume all those seams are there so it can be easily opened and replaced by apple rather than replacing the entire phone.

It also means the cracking plastic case at all the thin points on the 3G design is totally solved. I know for sure that this was a huge concern.

Very very slick design apple. It is exactly as I have been dreaming of for years. Can't wait to get it.
Agreed. I think it looks great. Nice new industrial design with supported by a high res display, upgraded camera, and upgraded OS. Sounds like a winner to me!
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2010, 01:16 PM

Yep. This is in fact similar to what I was hoping for, for the original iPhone. I like it. Who knows if that's exactly what it will look like or not, but if this is close to the final design, I'll be very pleased, esp. if some of the seams disappear.

P.S. I have the plastic cracks too in my 3G, but it didn't occur until after my warranty was up.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2010, 01:19 PM

Daring Fireball is claiming Apple considers it stolen, not "lost".

I wonder what that means though. "Stolen" after someone left it there on a table, and it wasn't there anymore after he came back?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2010, 01:24 PM

Well it looks like someone passed the thing on to Gizmodo (for a payday, I imagine) rather than trying to find the rightful owner, so in that sense...

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2010, 01:25 PM

I don't care how or why all I care about is that it looks amazing. Very excited for it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2010, 01:26 PM

The seams don't bother me at all. I also don't care about the front camera either but I love the better back one and flash! BOOYA!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Well it looks like someone passed the thing on to Gizmodo (for a payday, I imagine) rather than trying to find the rightful owner, so in that sense...
I agree, except that ultimately, the person who (hypothetically) left it on that table can only blame him/herself. I'm sure that's who SJ is blaming.

If I had found it, I wouldn't have sold it, but I probably would have taken a bazillion pix and videos and posted them all over the net. Then I would have returned it.

I am a little surprised by the seams though. There were less seams in the iPod mini IIRC.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I agree, except that ultimately, the person who (hypothetically) left it on that table can only blame him/herself. I'm sure that's who SJ is blaming.
I didn't say otherwise.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2010, 01:35 PM

If I had found it, I wouldn't have sold it, but I probably would have taken a bazillion pix and videos and posted them all over the net. Then I would have returned it.

I am a little surprised by the seams though. There were less seams in the iPod mini IIRC.
I see 3 seams on this new iphone. With this design they need at least 2 to get it off so the only questionable one is the one at the top. It's not going to kill me and I am sure it has a reason other than laziness.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2010, 01:37 PM

Gizmodo apparently paid $20,000 for that.

/facepalm

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Gizmodo apparently paid $20,000 for that.

/facepalm
What?!? Link?

PB2K
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 01:45 PM

will this corporate theft harm sales?
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2010, 02:20 PM

Well, that seems like a worthwhile upgrade to the iPhone! I like the features, but I am a little bit confused as to how am I going to take a photo with a front-facing camera (although it makes self-photos very easy) it is impossible to see where one is pointing the thing. At least in any precise manner. How can I choose what to focus on, etc?

Seems odd. But all in all, I like!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2010, 02:37 PM

I read it in passing while surfing about this story. I'll see if I can dig up the link again.

EDIT: Here's one, but without the price from Wired: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...new-4g-iphone/

According to at least one report, Gizmodo purchased this item from someone claiming to have found it. Not unlike that time that someone offered to sell me a TV set for $50 they had just “found.” Gizmodo then tore it apart and posted pictures of the inside - you know, what are called trade secrets. And they did it to boost their traffic.

Oh, and of course, if they paid to have the item shipped from CA to NY? That makes it eligible as a federal crime.

Someone might be in trouble, but it’s not necessarily someone at Apple.
EDIT 2: An interesting article by Andy Ihnatko. It's either fake, and Gizmdo's doing this as linkbait, or it's real and Gizmodo's in serious trouble in a lot of ways. http://ihnatko.com/2010/04/19/the-in...odo-iphone-4g/

EDIT 3: Found it: http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/19/gizmo...hed/3#comments

I'm also VERY afraid of Gizmodo's advertising revenue right now. Forget the maybe $20,000 bucks they spend to get the thing, the 1's and 0's showing up in their paycheck is probably enough.
( Last edited by starman; Apr 19, 2010 at 02:50 PM. )

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2010, 02:41 PM

voodoo, there are two cameras. One in the regular spot on the back (and with what looks like a flash) and then a front-facing camera -- probably for video chats.

pooka
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 03:03 PM

Through all of this, I can't help but notice how firmly Gruber's mouth is attached to Steve Job's teat. What a vagina.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2010, 03:16 PM

Don't bite the tit that feeds you.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2010, 03:19 PM

Ya I was wondering how Giz said they got their hands on it. Sounds like they could be in big crap for buying stolen merchandise they know is full of trade secrets.

pooka
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 03:36 PM

There's a big difference between biting and cranking the knob-slob power up to 11.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
Through all of this, I can't help but notice how firmly Gruber's mouth is attached to Steve Job's teat.
You're only noticing that now?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2010, 03:38 PM

I read it in passing while surfing about this story. I'll see if I can dig up the link again.

EDIT: Here's one, but without the price from Wired: Gizmodo Gets Hands On New 4G iPhone | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

EDIT 2: An interesting article by Andy Ihnatko. It's either fake, and Gizmdo's doing this as linkbait, or it's real and Gizmodo's in serious trouble in a lot of ways. Andy Ihnatko's Celestial Waste of Bandwidth (BETA) » The (Increasingly Plausible) Miraculous Engadget (and Gizmodo) iPhone 4G

EDIT 3: Found it: Gizmodo: Next iPhone captured, photographed, weighed
That 20k comment doesn't sound like a fact, more like a guess. I'd say it's a lowball. If I had that phone, less of a conscience and knew that engadget and gizmodo were the bidders, I would be getting more than 20 for it.

pooka
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 03:45 PM

You're only noticing that now?
Its become painfully awkward as of late. Ravenous even. I sorta feel sad for the dude. But if he's happy lapping it up (and making good money), I'm not here to judge. I just can't handle reading his fanboy tirades any more. Damn shame.

That and baseball if ****ing lame.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2010, 03:46 PM

EDIT 2: An interesting article by Andy Ihnatko. It's either fake, and Gizmdo's doing this as linkbait, or it's real and Gizmodo's in serious trouble in a lot of ways. Andy Ihnatko's Celestial Waste of Bandwidth (BETA) » The (Increasingly Plausible) Miraculous Engadget (and Gizmodo) iPhone 4G
Good read.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2010, 04:05 PM

From Nick Denton's (gawker entrepeneur) twitter feed

"For people who want to know the backstory to Gizmodo's iPhone exclusive, it's coming. And it's a corker."

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2010, 04:14 PM

When is Steve going to release the hounds? It's almost puzzling - but then, maybe this is the way Steve screws with people's minds when they 'find' secrets and fail to return them. He's toying with them, waiting for the right moment. (I hope Gizmodo payed in cash!)

Andy's article makes a good point about ethics - something that will make this whole scene play out like a soap opera in the days to come.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2010, 04:36 PM

Just seen those Gizmodo pictures, I'd only seen the blurrycam pics with it next to the bolted down iPad before. Its either real or the most well done and intricate fake evar! I like it, and I do hope its the real thing. I also hope the seams are because its a pre production unit, and the metal will be one piece in the final phone.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
I also hope the seams are because its a pre production unit, and the metal will be one piece in the final phone.
Don't worry, the final one will have all the debug code removed too.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2010, 04:41 PM

The real question is - will it blend?
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
Its become painfully awkward as of late. Ravenous even. I sorta feel sad for the dude. But if he's happy lapping it up (and making good money), I'm not here to judge. I just can't handle reading his fanboy tirades any more. Damn shame.

That and baseball if ****ing lame.
At least he is making money off it and has real info. That says a lot more than many people here

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2010, 04:53 PM

Don't worry, the final one will have all the debug code removed too.
Aww, but the debug code is the best bit!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2010, 05:10 PM

Stop calling it the 4G. I doesn't have 4G network capabilities.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2010, 05:15 PM

I think Apple deliberately leaked this device in order to gauge people's response to its appearance.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I think Apple deliberately leaked this device in order to gauge people's response to its appearance.
No way. What would Apple gain ?

If they found that people didn't like it, there is no way they could change the complete design until a June 2010 launch. Plus, Apple has never done such a thing.

-t

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Ya, they are known for doing that.

Worst theory ever.

pooka
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 05:36 PM

At least he is making money off it and has real info. That says a lot more than many people here
Uh, ok? I'm happy for him. For the record, I think Giz just provided a metric shit ton more info than he ever has. With pics. And video. Minus his smug bullshit. Now he's throwing a little tantrum about shitty/shady/checkbook journalism. Whatever dude.

Forum Links
Forum Rules