Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car Bomb in Times Square

View Poll Results: Who will be found responsible for the crude Times Square bomb?
Poll Options:
Islamofascists 11 votes (37.93%)
Anti-government militia types 2 votes (6.90%)
Anarchists 2 votes (6.90%)
Random crazy guy with no discernible political agenda 10 votes (34.48%)
Other (specify) 4 votes (13.79%)
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll
Car Bomb in Times Square
Mithras
Professional Poster
May 2, 2010, 10:40 AM

A crude car bomb of propane, gasoline and fireworks was discovered in a smoking Nissan Pathfinder in the heart of Times Square on Saturday evening, prompting the evacuation of thousands of tourists and theatergoers on a warm and busy night. Although the device had apparently started to detonate, there was no explosion, and early on Sunday the authorities were still seeking a suspect and motive.

“We are very lucky,” Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said at a 2:15 a.m. press conference. “We avoided what could have been a very deadly event.”
Fortunately it failed to detonate, apparently because whoever made it didn't even pass bombmaking 101.

Any guesses on who will be found responsible?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2010, 10:58 AM

Pretty scary stuff; I work just around the corner from there.

pooka
Mac Elite
May 2, 2010, 11:04 AM

The must never watch Mythbusters. Worst IED ever. A faulty water heater is more dangerous than this "bomb".

My vote - dumbass teabagger or punk prank.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2010, 11:17 AM

This poll is flawed: There's no option for "government entities, in order to raise the scare level and make some forthcoming legislation more palatable to the sheeple".
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 2, 2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
This poll is flawed: There's no option for "government entities, in order to raise the scare level and make some forthcoming legislation more palatable to the sheeple".
Pretty sure there are times for that kind of comment... and they were all between 2001 and 2009.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Pretty sure there are times for that kind of comment... and they were all between 2001 and 2009.
You wish.

ghporter
Administrator
May 2, 2010, 11:45 AM

It was someone who had bigger plans than to have their bomb go down in history as a massive dud. Sounds to me like someone who thought he could scare a bunch of people (true) and maybe get his name in the paper (maybe). Not a good way to achieve notoriety, I think.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

downinflames68
Baninated
May 2, 2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by doofy View Post
this poll is flawed: There's no option for "government entities, in order to raise the scare level and make some forthcoming legislation more palatable to the sheeple".
qft.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2010, 12:28 PM

No, that's because the government used their back door to the MacNN administration to remove that option.

THEY'RE ALL PULLING THE WOOL OVER YOUR EYES!

Tinfoil hats are under your seat, to the right of the nitrous oxide. Your choice.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
May 2, 2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
qft.
...because the effect of the Bush administration's insider 9/11 attack has dissipated from the citizen's minds to such a level that the Obama administration decided to ramp things up again by...planting a crappy Nissan Pathfinder.

qft?

wtfe.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2010, 12:51 PM

Exactly.

The only thing they could conceivably twist this into is anti-militia laws, if it's shown that this guy was part of the right-wing anti-government/pro-gun/kill-the-n*****s (distinct ideas, I realize, but at the lunatic fringe, they blend) terrorist "militia" camp.

The problem is that even the dumbest illiterate can work out in ten seconds that this isn't "organized terrorism".

There is no way to protect a nation against a single lunatic with two tanks of propane and a couple firecrackers.

I propose you outlaw lunatics. Or firecrackers.

No wait - outlaw SUVs! No more Pathfinders blowing up on NYC streets!

Problem solved.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2010, 12:57 PM

I'm not prepared to take a guess, but whoever made that 'bomb' sounds very inept and stupid.

There exist inept and stupid people in all of the available categories.

Islamofascists have their underwear bombers.

Anti-government militia has their Hutari morons posting their plans on the interwebs.

Anarchists are inept by definition.

Random Crazy Guys ... well youtube is full to the brim with videos of inept random crazy guys.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 2, 2010, 01:17 PM

I blame George Bush and Dick Cheney. Afterall, everyone knows those two singlehandedly planted all the exploseives, without being seen of course, in both World Trade Center towers. Without any explosives or demolition experience at all. But it's common knowledge that they both did it, so I think it was the two of them acting in tandem to finish the job.

pooka
Mac Elite
May 2, 2010, 01:17 PM

Did anyone stop to think this might be a portable BBQ/smoking vehicle? Fireworks could be for the grand opening. I've seen stranger restaurants in Austin.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 2, 2010, 01:26 PM

Sure there is: “Other (specify)”.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
No, that's because the government used their back door to the MacNN administration to remove that option.

THEY'RE ALL PULLING THE WOOL OVER YOUR EYES!

Tinfoil hats are under your seat, to the right of the nitrous oxide. Your choice.
No, no tinfoil hats here. Just years of experience and a fondness for Sherlock Holmes.

- Any moron can make a bomb which works.
- This bomb didn't go off. It did just enough to say "I'm a bomb" without hurting anyone.

Which group of people want to scare people without actually hurting anyone? Uh huh. Policymakers.

In other news, the recent Toyota safety scare has the US government legislating that all new cars be sold with "black boxes". I wonder how long before those little black boxes encounter a little "mission creep"?

Cause/effect. Action/reaction. Problem/solution.
If there's no handy problem to apply your solution to, then you make one. That's how governments work.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Sure there is: “Other (specify)”.

Shhh!!!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2010, 01:44 PM

The poll results so far are unexpected IMO - 0 votes on islamofascists. Most votes on a random crazy guy.. without political motive.

Come on, even the random crazy guys have a political motive. The Unabomber had a political motive. Loony, but it's very rare bombers don't have a political motive...

Shooters that go postal, perhaps.. but bombers are commonly more politically inclined.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
The poll results so far are unexpected IMO - 0 votes on islamofascists. Most votes on a random crazy guy.. without political motive.

Come on, even the random crazy guys have a political motive. The Unabomber had a political motive. Loony, but it's very rare bombers don't have a political motive...

Shooters that go postal, perhaps.. but bombers are commonly more politically inclined.
No one wants to take the risk that the responsible persons will end up sharing their politics in some way.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2010, 03:21 PM

Random crazy guy WITH political motivation.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2010, 04:39 PM

andi*pandi
May 2, 2010, 04:58 PM

Comedy Central promoting a new TV show.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
So Barry wants to expand operations into Pakistan, does he?
Interesting.

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 2, 2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
My vote - dumbass teabagger or punk prank.
I don't think they can afford the SUV to blow up.

Everyone (the media, not here) is all about praising the NYPD etc., when in reality a bystander noticed the vehicle. Obviously the police standing at every corner, and our millions of dollars of increased security did nothing to prevent this from (almost) happening.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

PB2K
Mac Elite
May 2, 2010, 05:56 PM

seeing this poll I'm happy people are smarter than I thought, we had a few failed attacks in the Netherlands too and the news also said Al Quaida claimed it as theirs, probably because it's so easy.

Al Quaida doesn't claim failed attacks.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
seeing this poll I'm happy people are smarter than I thought, we had a few failed attacks in the Netherlands too and the news also said Al Quaida claimed it as theirs, probably because it's so easy.

Al Quaida doesn't claim failed attacks.
Islamofascists cover more than just AQ. So far there is nothing that indicates that it *wasn't* islamofascists.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was. But I'm rather pleased to see that people don't jump on that bandwagon immediately. When the evidence is in, we'll see.

Mithras  (op)
Professional Poster
May 2, 2010, 07:52 PM

I stand by my anarchist vote. White guy wearing a red shirt? Anarcho-communist dipshit, I'm guessing. On May 1st (well, early on the 2nd) no less.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2010, 10:50 PM

I didn't vote, but I would certainly go for "crazy," because if it was militia crazies, or Islam crazies, or anarchist crazies, or even Doofy's ridiculous "policymakers who want to spread fear without killing anyone," they're all crazy.

The truth is: crazy is the ultimate cause of most of the world's problems. Not ideology, not religion, not even racism. But add crazy to any of those three and you'll get stupid events like this.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2010, 10:51 PM

So Barry wants to expand operations into Pakistan, does he? Interesting.
There are already military operations being carried out in Pakistan. For years now.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
or even Doofy's ridiculous "policymakers who want to spread fear without killing anyone," they're all crazy.
Ridiculous? I don't think so.

Here's today's Times:
Car bomb found in the heart of New York - Times Online
The fear of terrorism returned to the streets of New York yesterday after an attempt was made to detonate a car bomb in Times Square.

The authorities said that the device, which had started to detonate, could have killed many people. It was made of three propane bottles, consumer-grade fireworks, two five-gallon cans of petrol and a large box of an unidentified material that could be fertiliser.

This was the real deal — to hurt people,” Sal Cassano, the Fire Commissioner, said, adding that the bomb could have taken down the front of a building.

Police said they believed that the intention was to create a fireball in one the city’s busiest areas, which was teeming with thousands of tourists and theatregoers on Saturday night.
I know how these policymakers think. I've had lunch with some of them. This smacks of their little chess games.

There are already military operations being carried out in Pakistan. For years now.
I know. But what's Barry got planned which is new? Those 30,000 extra troops getting a little bored, are they?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2010, 11:15 PM

Ahh, there ya go:

Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) News - The New York Times
The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act was enacted in 1978, passed in response to revelations by the Church Committee showing widespread abuse of government wiretaps, and to growing concerns on the part of the Supreme Court over eavesdropping practices. The law governs the surveillance of people in the United States for the purpose of collecting intelligence related to foreign powers. A special, secret court, known as the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance, or FISA, court was created to hear requests for such warrants. Safeguards were put in place to ensure that investigators pursuing criminal matters did not obtain warrants under FISA that they could not get from an ordinary judge.

After the Sept. 11th attacks, members of the Bush administration were highly critical of the FISA restrictions. Portions of the Patriot Act expanded the law's reach to cover terrorism suspects as well as agents of foreign countries. But when President Bush ordered an expanded program of surveillance by the National Security Agency, he decided to bypass the FISA process entirely. When news of these warrantless wiretaps was revealed by The New York Times in 2005, administration officials argued that working within FISA would have been too cumbersome.

The 2005 disclosure of the existence of the program set off a national debate over the limits of executive power and the balance between national security and civil liberties. The arguments continued over the next three years, as Congress sought to forge a new legal framework for domestic surveillance.

In the midst of the presidential campaign in 2008, Congress overhauled the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act to bring federal statutes into closer alignment with what the Bush administration had been secretly doing. The legislation essentially legalized certain aspects of the program. As a senator then, Barack Obama voted in favor of the new law, despite objections from many of his supporters. President Obama's administration now relies heavily on such surveillance in its fight against Al Qaeda.

On March 31, 2010, a federal judge ruled that the National Security Agency's program of surveillance without warrants was illegal, rejecting the Obama administration's effort to keep shrouded in secrecy one of the most disputed counterterrorism policies of former President George W. Bush.
Tenner says it's something to do with convincing the public that the NSA needs to be able to continue with warrant-less surveillance.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2010, 11:45 PM

I know how these policymakers think.
You seem to think you know more than you really do. Having just responded to your post about "knowing" God exists in the other thread, and this, I think you need to add a dose of scepticism to your own assumptions.
I know. But what's Barry got planned which is new? Those 30,000 extra troops getting a little bored, are they?
There's an enormous operation going on in southern Afghanistan right now. Operation Mushtarak will care on throughout the summer.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2010, 12:01 AM

You seem to think you know more than you really do.
You seem to think that nobody can know more than you know, since anyone suggesting anything which you don't agree with is met with this kind of response from you.

There's an enormous operation going on in southern Afghanistan right now. Operation Mushtarak will care on throughout the summer.
Really? Ooo, thanks for telling me, I didn't know.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 3, 2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Comedy Central promoting a new TV show.
Ha!

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2010, 03:12 PM

The Nissan Pathfinder that carried a bomb into New York's Times Square was sold to an "Arabic or Latino looking" man in his 20s or 30s last month in Connecticut, authorities say the vehicle's previous owners told them.
Times Square Car Bomber: Police Release Video of Possible Suspect - ABC News
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2010, 04:07 PM

Man, a couple news channels were just begging for this to be a tea partier. Not looking that way now.

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2010, 12:31 PM

Updated May 04, 2010
Man Arrested in Karachi in Connection With Times Square Bombing Attempt

FOXNews.com

A man has been arrested in Karachi in connection with the investigation of the Times Square bombing attempt, Pakistani intelligence sources told Fox News.

The capture comes after the arrest of a Pakistani-born U.S. citizen, who was minutes away from fleeing the U.S. when his Dubai-bound flight was returned to its gate at New York's Kennedy Airport and U.S. officials escorted him from the plane, along with two other men.

The suspect, Faisal Shahzad, will appear in court Tuesday to face charges that he tried to set off a massive fireball and kill Americans after parking his car on a street lined with restaurants and Broadway theaters, federal authorities said.
FOXNews.com - Up to 8 Reportedly in Custody in Pakistan in Connection With Times Square Bombing Attempt

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 4, 2010, 12:46 PM

I'm glad to see that the Pakistani government is arresting people as well! In other forums, people are bad-mouthing the US-Pakistan relationship as being one-sided, but this seems to indicate that it is at least somewhat of a partnership.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2010, 01:07 PM

Faisal Shahzad

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2010, 05:27 PM

Times Square bomb suspect charged with terrorism
By TOM HAYS and COLLEEN LONG, Associated Press Writers Tom Hays And Colleen Long, Associated Press Writers 16 mins ago

NEW YORK – A Pakistani-born U.S. citizen was charged Tuesday with terrorism and attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction in the botched Times Square bombing. The government said he confessed to receiving explosives training in Pakistan.

Faisal Shahzad was arrested Monday night, pulled off a plane that was about to fly to the Middle East.

According to the complaint, Shahzad confessed to buying an SUV, rigging it with a homemade bomb and driving it Saturday night into Times Square, where he tried to detonate it.

In Pakistan, intelligence officials said several people had been detained in connection with the Times Square case.

Shahzad admitted to receiving bomb-making training in Waziristan, the lawless tribal region where the Pakistani Taliban operates with near impunity, but there is no mention of al-Qaida in the complaint filed in Manhattan federal court.

"Based on what we know so far, it is clear that this was a terrorist plot aimed at murdering Americans in one of the busiest places in our country," Attorney General Eric Holder said in Washington.

Shahzad was on board a Dubai-bound flight that was taxiing away from the gate at Kennedy Airport late Monday when the plane was turned around and federal authorities took him into custody, law enforcement officials said. Federal officials had placed him on a "no-fly" list hours before his arrest.

Holder said Shahzad was talking to investigators, providing them with valuable information, The FBI read Shahzad his constitutional rights after he provided the information, and he continued to cooperate, FBI Deputy Director John Pistole said.

Shahzad's court appearance Tuesday was delayed, in part because he was cooperating with authorities.
Print Story: Times Square bomb suspect charged with terrorism - Yahoo! News

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2010, 07:34 PM

Surprising that "Random crazy guy with no discernible political agenda" is the most popular option. It doesn't happen that much compared to religious radicals.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2010, 08:49 PM

Surprising that "Random crazy guy with no discernible political agenda" is the most popular option. It doesn't happen that much compared to religious radicals.
I agree.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2010, 09:01 PM

Oh purlease! The religion of peace™ wouldn't hurt you! It's all about love and bunnies and cake and stuff.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2010, 09:09 PM

Oh purlease! The religion of peace™ wouldn't hurt you! It's all about love and bunnies and cake and stuff.
…and killing policemen and then committing a massacre at the funeral. What would the Prince of Peace do?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2010, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
What would the Prince of Peace do?
Not visit Northern Ireland because they're all a bunch of mentals who wouldn't recognise him?

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2010, 09:30 PM

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2010, 09:44 PM

MSNBC's Contessa Brewer appeared on the Stephanie Miller radio show, a small syndicated left-wing talker, and during her appearance she expressed her "frustration" that the Times Square bomber was a Pakistani terrorist instead of a white person. Apparently Brewer had hoped that a new Tim McVeigh perhaps coming from the Tea Party movement would turn out to be responsible for the attempted bombing in New York instead of just another boring ol' radical Islamist terrorist.

Brewer told the lefty radio host, "there was part of me that was hoping this was not going to be anybody with ties to any kind of Islamic country," and intimated that the fact that since it was an Islamic terrorist evil white America would just use that as another excuse to be racists. "I mean they use it as justification for really outdated bigotry," Brewer said.

So according to Brewer, I guess we should excuse all acts of terror because, after all, it's those evil, racist, white bigots in America that force them to blow people up?
MSNBC's Contessa Brewer Wishes That Times Square Bomber Was a Tea Partier

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2010, 09:47 PM

So, is this thread in the wrong forum yet?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2010, 02:30 PM

The bomb attempt already has a sizable Wikipedia entry!

2010 Times Square car bomb attempt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 7, 2010, 09:40 PM

Call me crazy, but I don't think a poll is the best way to come up with an accurate answer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules