Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 5 – first impressions

Safari 5 – first impressions
TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2010, 07:45 PM

+ Reader – it remains to be seen whether this will be useful, but the idea is definitely great. Ad companies (like Google) won't like this probably.
+ Fullscreen for HTML5 video
+ Top Sites page looks brighter and History button makes it more obvious how to access the history coverflow.
+ New windows now open without lag
+ 3D transforms finally work under Windows as well.

o Bing Search – not a big deal. Bing is not yet competitive with Google

- No fullscreen – to replace Flash the browser needs a fullscreen API for arbitrary DIVs, not just video elements.
- Same old tabs.
- Still doesn't remember zoom level.
- Still no way to reopen the last closed tab. Why is there a command to reopen the last closed window and all windows from the last session, but not for the last closed tab?
( Last edited by TETENAL; Jun 8, 2010 at 11:13 AM. )

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2010, 07:49 PM

fast?er...? i've had it running for 5 minutes (and it hasn't crashed LOL)..
i keep a lot of sites open, in several windows, and it DEFINITELY is loading fast.
we'll see how well everything else does (and am waiting for glims for S5!)...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2010, 07:55 PM

The old progress bar is back.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2010, 08:02 PM

The sorting algorithm for the address bar has changed again. I haven't figured out what the order is but it's no longer sorted by the most visited.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2010, 08:08 PM

I'm liking the Reader.
Vandelay Industries

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2010, 08:45 PM

How come the loading bar sometimes shows it loading, but then other times does the spinning circle? That's driving me nuts.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2010, 08:56 PM

yeah, the Reader thing is nice... (just saw it)...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2010, 08:57 PM

Wow, the Reader is actually super nice. Kudos to Apple.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2010, 08:58 PM

I no longer have to use Webkit for the cool web developer tools. Secure browser extensions sounds like a great idea to me too, I've been suggesting that Apple do this for years

If secure extensions end up being really solid it's hard to see how Mozilla will be able to compete.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
How come the loading bar sometimes shows it loading, but then other times does the spinning circle? That's driving me nuts.
I've noticed the spinner only on pages that are mostly done loading except for a few elements. I think it's similar to how the Safari 4 indicator went from blue to grey as the page was mostly loaded.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2010, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
The sorting algorithm for the address bar has changed again. I haven't figured out what the order is but it's no longer sorted by the most visited.
It looks like it's sorting by a spotlight search of the web page titles instead of URLs.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
- Same old tabs.
After the backlash from the new tabs in the Safari 4 Beta, I'm sure they're hesitant to mess with them again.
Vandelay Industries

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2010, 09:18 PM

So I'm guessing we'll have to wait for these extensions? I'm surprised Apple didn't go to Facebook, Twitter etc before this release and get some official ones released with 5.0.

willed
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2010, 09:19 PM

Still can't search from the main address bar... I've got so used to that in Chrome that it's now a deal-breaker. Why can't they implement it in Safari?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
+ Reader – it remains to be seen whether this will be useful, but the idea is definitely great. Ad companies (like Google) won't like this probably.
Freaking awesome

Actually, I wish one could set certain websites to automatically go into Reader Mode when opening clicking on a link that takes you to a Reader-able page.

-t

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by willed View Post
Still can't search from the main address bar... I've got so used to that in Chrome that it's now a deal-breaker. Why can't they implement it in Safari?
hit tab once, or move the search bar in place of the URL bar?

Cold Warrior
Jun 7, 2010, 09:24 PM

Install glimmerblocker and it'll let you do searches like that.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2010, 09:26 PM

I, for one, can't stand that feature. If I want to search, I'll type in the search field. I hate when I'm using Chrome or Firefox on another computer and I type "apple" or "facebook", for example, and I'm taken to a Google search page instead of having www.*.com added automatically and taken to those sites.
Vandelay Industries

Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2010, 10:19 PM

I notice no speed difference. I notice to difference at all (other than the reader).
Love the reader though.

Why is it that the live feed from the bp website (yes, watching the oil at http://www.bp.com/genericarticle.do?...tentId=7062605 doesn't come up the same for a mac as it does on the pc? It's a live feed on the pc, but on my mac it look like it's a quicktime movie that has to first load and then hit the play button. Very odd.
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2010, 10:33 PM

I've been using arc90's Readability since it came out but I like that Safari 5's Reader will even work through articles which have a next page link. I like that under Help > Acknowledgments Apple does mention Readability.
You can see multiple pages in Reader on this link

Panic has Coda Notes extension coming out soon which looks like you'll be able to do some pretty cool things with extensions.

All in all, Safari 5 is a great update.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2010, 11:17 PM

Holy smokes, I'm liking Safari 5 a lot so far. Awesome update! And now that 1Password has been updated to work with it already, I'm even happier.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2010, 11:53 PM

Reader is gorgeous, Bing is fun, and I forgot how much I missed the old loading bar. Seems like an awesome update to me.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2010, 12:12 AM

Has anybody come across any developer documentation on how to setup sites to support the Reader feature?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2010, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Holy smokes, I'm liking Safari 5 a lot so far. Awesome update! And now that 1Password has been updated to work with it already, I'm even happier.
Good to know 1Password works.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Meritocracy
Jun 8, 2010, 02:23 AM

Both Glims and Safari AdBlocker appear a little wonky with Safari 5. ClicktoFlash seems to be working perfectly. The two former add-ons will hopefully have an update out shortly.

@TETENAL:
There's a way to reopen the last closed tab. Command-Z (Edit menu). Although, it only goes one step back not multiple like Glims. Also, if you have this option turned on in Glims, the most recently closed tab is opened twice. You also loose the tabs history. Glims is the same way. Chrome and Saft (Safari plug-in) recall the tab history.

Glims will have its uses, as there's still no setting for automatically reloading pages from a prior session. Nor for the downloads window to auto-hide after completing a d/l. No fullscreen/Keyword searching etc.

I found Safari 4 to be rather quick, so I'm not noticing a dramatic speed increase. Perhaps this is due to AdBlocker not behaving as it should.
Shame it doesn't recall zoom settings.
Reader's a great addition.
Smarter Address Bar!
Finally, some more robust tab settings.
Love the reinstatement of the progress bar.
Looking forward to extensions.

Fullscreen for HTML5 video is nice, but unfortunately stretches to fit the screen, thus screwing up the aspect ratio (youtube). It would also be nice to see HTML5 video autostart while loading ala Flash.

Overall, a most welcome update.
( Last edited by Meritocracy; Jun 8, 2010 at 03:37 AM. )
What exactly is rotten in Denmark?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2010, 02:30 AM

Yeah, seems like a pretty great Safari update. The restored progress bar is worth it alone. Glad to see Apple still releasing UBs too.

Reader is pretty cool. Very nice appearance. I wonder how it works - specifically why it works with certain sites and not others.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 8, 2010 at 03:14 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

albyrw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2010, 02:56 AM

To anybody that's running Safari 5 on Leopard or earlier and still wants to use 1Password 2.x, you'll be aware that updated browsers are no longer being supported in version 2 of 1Password. For those of you who can't or won't update to Snow Leopard or 1Password 3 or both, here's how to enable 1Password support in Safari 5 (adapted from instructions here - thanks to Greg Kumparakat at CrunchGear for the original hint).

How to enable 1Password 2.x in Safari 5 for Leopard:

1. Close Safari
2. Go to the /Applications/ folder
3. Right click on 1password.app, hit “Show Package Contents”
4. Navigate to /Contents/Resources/
5. Double click on SupportedBrowsers.plist. If you have Apple’s development tools installed, it’ll open in the Plist editor. If not, it’ll open in Text Editor.
6. If you’re using the Plist editor, expand the “Safari” drop-down (Just click the little arrow beside Safari).
7. Look for the MaxBundleVersion key – change it to 6534.0. Save.
8. Launch Safari 5.

The 1Password contextual menu will now be usable in Safari 5. You will need to add the 1Password button to your toolbar again using View > Customize Toolbar.

As always, probably a good idea to make a backup of SupportedBrowsers.plist before messing with it.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2010, 03:44 AM

Reader is awesome. The best user experience upgrade for a web browser since tabs, imho. The concept seems fully realized right from the get-go and is slick as hell.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2010, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by albyrw View Post
To anybody that's running Safari 5 on Leopard or earlier and still wants to use 1Password 2.x, you'll be aware that updated browsers are no longer being supported in version 2 of 1Password. For those of you who can't or won't update to Snow Leopard or 1Password 3 or both, here's how to enable 1Password support in Safari 5 (adapted from instructions here - thanks to Greg Kumparakat at CrunchGear for the original hint).

How to enable 1Password 2.x in Safari 5 for Leopard:

1. Close Safari
2. Go to the /Applications/ folder
3. Right click on 1password.app, hit “Show Package Contents”
4. Navigate to /Contents/Resources/
5. Double click on SupportedBrowsers.plist. If you have Apple’s development tools installed, it’ll open in the Plist editor. If not, it’ll open in Text Editor.
6. If you’re using the Plist editor, expand the “Safari” drop-down (Just click the little arrow beside Safari).
7. Look for the MaxBundleVersion key – change it to 6534.0. Save.
8. Launch Safari 5.

The 1Password contextual menu will now be usable in Safari 5. You will need to add the 1Password button to your toolbar again using View > Customize Toolbar.

As always, probably a good idea to make a backup of SupportedBrowsers.plist before messing with it.
Any way to get 3.x version of 1Password to work with Safari 5 without having to buy the full version?

albyrw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2010, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Any way to get 3.x version of 1Password to work with Safari 5 without having to buy the full version?
Not sure what you mean by the 'full' version of 1Password. Is there a light version? There's no unpaid version I'm aware of. Agile posted an update to 1Password this morning - update your copy of 1Password from within the application, restart Safari, and it should be running as normal.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to buy this app - one of the most useful and best realised apps out there and a hard-working team. They had Safari support up and running within two hours of Safari 5's release this morning. It's being offered discounted through Daring Fireball at the moment.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2010, 05:12 AM

Not sure what you mean by the 'full' version of 1Password. Is there a light version? There's no unpaid version I'm aware of. Agile posted an update to 1Password this morning - update your copy of 1Password from within the application, restart Safari, and it should be running as normal.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to buy this app - one of the most useful and best realised apps out there and a hard-working team. They had Safari support up and running within two hours of Safari 5's release this morning. It's being offered discounted through Daring Fireball at the moment.
You can use the application for free with less than 20 stored items. I have only 10 items, have not needed anymore as yet.

albyrw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2010, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
You can use the application for free with less than 20 stored items. I have only 10 items, have not needed anymore as yet.
There you go, I didn't know that. Run the software update from inside the 1Password application, then relaunch Safari, should be good as new.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2010, 05:44 AM

There you go, I didn't know that. Run the software update from inside the 1Password application, then relaunch Safari, should be good as new.
Ran the update this morning and nothing happened when it upgraded, ran it again now and "boom" it is working with Safari 5 now.

Many thanks.

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Meritocracy View Post
Fullscreen for HTML5 video is nice, but unfortunately stretches to fit the screen, thus screwing up the aspect ratio (youtube).
For me Youtube disables Safari's video controls, and unfortunately Youtube's fullscreen button only fills the window. Where Safari's video controls are available, fullscreen does retain the correct aspect ratio.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2010, 11:17 AM

The Reader sounds awesome to me, especially since I’m always forgetting which keyboard shortcut to use for my Readability bookmark. The multi-page is especially appealing. I hope Marco from Instapaper can figure out how it’s done, since I still see myself using that for saving things to Read Later on any device/browser.

Also, the smarter URL autocomplete thing sounds handy, but it’s funny: that was the one thing I missed about Internet Explorer 5 for Mac, which had it in, what, 1998?

About to install the Windows version at work, will wait on my MacBook until I think it’ll work with Glims.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2010, 11:19 AM

I am looking forward to extensions. (I'd like AdBlock and FlashBlock.) Reader is pretty cool.

The only thing I miss is the Safari 3 version of Snapback. I used to use Safari much more when It had that. Now it's a "me too" browser. I was really hoping they would restore this feature to what it once was.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2010, 11:45 AM

OH. F*CK. YEAH!!!

That alone is worth the upgrade.

Anyone notice whether the startup lag/stall has finally, at long last, been fixed?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 8, 2010, 11:47 AM

I didn't realize so many were on my side about the removal of that feature in Safari 4.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I didn't realize so many were on my side about the removal of that feature in Safari 4.
The removal of the progress bar was the sole reason I kept using Safari 3 (or Safari 4β? Not sure) for months after Safari 4 had been finally released. It was a deal-breaker for a long time. I’ll be more than grateful to see the back of this ridiculous progress blob-thingy.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2010, 10:22 PM

I agree, and the great thing about the beautiful blue progress bar is it that flies supersonic Safari 5 is way faster than Firefox or Camino (latest versions). Neck and neck with Chrome, with all of the Safari esthetic many of us love!
( Last edited by jmiddel; Jun 8, 2010 at 11:14 PM. )

joleslie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2010, 06:25 AM

Does anyone know if there's an option to make the progress bar grey again?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2010, 10:18 AM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2010, 10:31 AM

Hey Meritocracy, thanks for the update on Glims. I got Safari 5, since I heard somewhere that Glims basically still worked, and I figure most of its functionality will get slowly superseded by extensions.
Originally Posted by Meritocracy View Post
There's a way to reopen the last closed tab. Command-Z (Edit menu). Although, it only goes one step back not multiple like Glims. Also, if you have this option turned on in Glims, the most recently closed tab is opened twice. You also loose the tabs history. Glims is the same way. Chrome and Saft (Safari plug-in) recall the tab history.
I’m not sure what you mean “lose the tabs history”. With the option on in Glims, Cmd-Z once does bring up the last closed tab twice. But subsequent Cmd-Zs will keep restoring other closed tabs from the same window. On the other hand, Glims seems to no-longer auto-reload previous tabs when I launch Safari. Is that what you’re referring to?

Glims will have its uses, as there's still no setting for automatically reloading pages from a prior session. Nor for the downloads window to auto-hide after completing a d/l. No fullscreen/Keyword searching etc.
Unfortunately, like I said, the session auto-reload is gone for me. OTOH, I see that somebody’s already made an extension for that (the tiny gray link at the bottom of that page.) The tumblr that sprouted up to track Safari extensions has been getting lots of updates.

JellyBeen
Senior User
Jun 9, 2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by joleslie View Post
Does anyone know if there's an option to make the progress bar grey again?
I'm using this one.

Snow Matte Safari Progress by ~tomcrichton on deviantART
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Nice! But is it possible to combine those into one extension with options to toggle the two features? For that matter, maybe you and the Facebook ad-blocking guy could put all three into a “make Facebook less annoying” extension.

Rolando_jose
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2010, 01:32 PM

Does anyone has problem with videos, I tried to see som news videos from Yahoo and can't.

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2010, 04:41 PM

I, for one, can't stand that feature. If I want to search, I'll type in the search field. I hate when I'm using Chrome or Firefox on another computer and I type "apple" or "facebook", for example, and I'm taken to a Google search page instead of having www.*.com added automatically and taken to those sites.
Ditto.
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2010, 04:43 PM

Yes!! I was so glad to see its return.
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2010, 05:30 PM

I half agree. I like searching from the address field, but only in the Glims/Saft way of using command-line style keywords (e.g. "g iPod 4" for Google search, "am missing manual" for Amazon). This way I can easily switch between multiple search engines and the browser never thinks I'm searching if I type just one word. I used to only search from the address bar, though the addition of Google Suggest results in the search field has made me tab over there more often.

But I agree it would be super annoying to just type in "amazon" and end up at "http://www.google.com/search?q=amazon"

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2010, 05:49 PM

How about an extension that blocks the Facebook social plugin from sites like CNN? In other words, the only time I want to see anything Facebook loaded is when going to Facebook.com itself. Any other time, if any third party site site even THINKS about linking to Facebook, I'd like to have the option to block it or allow it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules