Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > AT&T "waitlist" before preorder?

AT&T "waitlist" before preorder?
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 02:00 PM

I just called my AT&T store to make sure they would be taking pre-orders tomorrow. They told me "Our waitlist for the pre-order is has already been filled." What the hell is up with that?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2010, 02:03 PM

You had to pre-order a pre-order? how fun.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You had to pre-order a pre-order? how fun.
That's the thing. I wasn't able to "pre-order for the pre-order" because it was already "filled up". I just called Radio Shack and they said they'll be pre-ordering tomorrow so I guess I'll have to go there.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2010, 02:15 PM

Amazingly, AT&T finds new ways to be complete morons every other week. Awesome.

-t

zacharace
Jun 14, 2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
I just called my AT&T store to make sure they would be taking pre-orders tomorrow. They told me "Our waitlist for the pre-order is has already been filled." What the hell is up with that?
Nooo.....what? Makes me feel even better about paying them for (crappy) wireless service every month...

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 02:23 PM

Another option I thought would be good was to order straight from Apple but supposedly they will only ship to the AT&T billing address which is dumb because I'm still on my parent's family plan and they live 3 hours away. Can anyone confirm this dumbassness from the last iPhone pre-order?

-Q-
Jun 14, 2010, 02:29 PM

Another option I thought would be good was to order straight from Apple but supposedly they will only ship to the AT&T billing address which is dumb because I'm still on my parent's family plan and they live 3 hours away. Can anyone confirm this dumbassness from the last iPhone pre-order?
Not related to the last iPhone pre-order, but this is a standard AT&T policy. When we had to get a new phone for our niece, who lives in TN, they would only ship the replacement phone to my address (where we're billed). So we had to get the phone, peel the label off and then just re-ship it to the niece. Annoying, but I do understand that policy. Would be easy to commit fraud if you could have a phone shipped anywhere.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2010, 02:38 PM

How in the world are they taking pre-pre-orders??

I wonder if they opened up pre-pre-orders for employees early, and now they're all sold out of the tiny amount of stock Apple allows them to have on launch day.

Honestly, I'm really trying hard to figure this one out... wth?

Not that I'd order from them anyhow, but still.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 02:44 PM

This whole thing is stressing me out more than it should be. I just want the damn phone in my hands on the 24th.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2010, 03:21 PM

I'm annoyed that it's the afternoon and there are still NO details on how pre-ordering is going to work.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2010, 03:35 PM

MacinTommy, do you have an Apple Store nearby?
Last year, with the 3GS, you could pre-order for in-store pickup and then go collect the iPhone from the Apple store.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
MacinTommy, do you have an Apple Store nearby?
Last year, with the 3GS, you could pre-order for in-store pickup and then go collect the iPhone from the Apple store.
No, I wish. The closest one (or 4) would be Atlanta which is 3 hours from where I live. I might take the day off at work and skip classes to drive up if that's my only guaranteed iPhone-in-hand-on-day-of-launch option.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2010, 03:53 PM

No, I wish. The closest one (or 4) would be Atlanta which is 3 hours from where I live. I might take the day off at work and skip classes to drive up if that's my only guaranteed iPhone-in-hand-on-day-of-launch option.
Or just have it shipped and wait an extra day?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Or just have it shipped and wait an extra day?
Well, I thought about that but there is another twist. My parents are going to be out of town for the next few weeks so nobody will be there to sign for the package.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2010, 04:06 PM

Have you considered seppuku?

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Have you considered seppuku?
This is only the second time I've considered it. The first being when I found out the price for the original iPhone.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 05:47 PM

Why can't he preorder on AT&T's website tomorrow and choose in-store pickup??

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2010, 06:32 PM

Here's a bit of info on pre-ordering:

How to: pre-order the iPhone 4 -- Engadget

Still no word what time exactly Apple will be taking pre-orders online. Best guess: Early.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 14, 2010, 07:38 PM

That "wait list" has got to be store-specific. When I ordered my 3Gs before they were released, I walked into my nearest AT&T store (which is much closer than the nearest Apple store) and asked "how do I preorder the new iPhone?" It was that easy. I'll bet this "wait list" is one store's means of managing what they expect to be a mob of people rushing to be "FIRST!!!!!11!!" in preordering.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2010, 08:12 PM

MacRumors is saying that only black iPhones will be available at launch, with white iPhones available "later this Summer".

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 09:59 PM

I just called AT&T's customer service line and I talked to a woman who said if I ordered the phone I could have it shipped anywhere I want... This is really bothering me now because when I talked to the Apple rep (on that little online store chat thing) she said it had to go to the billing address. So who's right?

Rumor
Jun 14, 2010, 10:24 PM

Pre-orders start tomorrow in store and online. Try again in the morning and see if you get a different answer, you may have spoken to someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

AT&T to Offer iPhone 4 on June 24
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2010, 10:26 PM

Store policy (AT&T and Apple) is to only ship to the billing address. The other lady was likely mistaken.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 10:58 PM

Preordering
Consumers may preorder iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS 8GB at AT&T retail stores or online at iPhone 4 & 3GS, Exclusively from AT&T and Apple - Wireless from AT&T beginning June 15. Business customers can preorder through their AT&T sales representative or by visiting AT&T’s Premier site. For greater convenience and faster delivery, preorders can be shipped directly to a customer’s home or business for delivery as early as June 24. Customers can also have a preorder shipped to their local AT&T store for pick up on or after Friday, June 25.

AT&T stores will operate on a first-come, first-served basis, and will accommodate as many customers as possible.
Ok.. So does this mean I can have this shipped to where I work? This sort of opens up my options because I don't mind waiting until that Friday to have it delivered to my local store.. if need be.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 15, 2010, 07:07 AM

Ok.. So does this mean I can have this shipped to where I work? This sort of opens up my options because I don't mind waiting until that Friday to have it delivered to my local store.. if need be.
I believe the "customer's home or business" means that retail customers can have the phone shipped to their homes (billing address) and business customers can have the phone shipped to their business location (again, billing address). Or you can have it shipped to the local Apple or AT&T store. Lots of choice there...

Seriously though, even if they aren't explicit in that bit you quoted, they have always used billing addresses for shipping phones to. It's a security issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules