Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The longest distance you have ever run

The longest distance you have ever run
Sealobo
Jun 14, 2010, 07:56 PM

It's just slightly over 10km for me.

What about you?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2010, 08:02 PM

About 400m.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 08:09 PM

in one go? probably no more than 3 miles.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 08:21 PM

Ran a half marathon last summer, little over 13 miles. Why are you asking? Why am I answering?

Cold Warrior
Jun 14, 2010, 08:31 PM

12 miles in Army boots, not fast though (a jog) and carrying a pack.

Otherwise just 10 km.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2010, 08:57 PM

About 20 feet - from the couch to the fridge.

Does that count ?

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 14, 2010, 09:37 PM

"Run" run, or "participated in a run?" I've gone slightly over 1.5 miles (in combat boots) on a timed run, but I've participated in numerous 5K runs-wherein I frequently slowed to a fast walk. For a short time, my wing had a special category for walkers, and I finished the 5K walking - and over 40 - well before a very large number of "under 20s" who were "running."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 10:10 PM

About 12 miles. when I was in college, training for a marathon. I pulled something and had to shut it down and I've never run as far since (14 years).

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2010, 10:12 PM

I average around 3-4 miles a day - and my longest run has been 12 miles. Doing a half marathon (13.1) on 10/10/2010, so that will break my personal record - assuming I finish.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2010, 10:33 PM

26.2 miles... 6 different times. Which I still find pretty funny as I swore off long distance racing after my last cross country meet in High School.

I draw the line at a marathon. I don't foresee any ultra's in my future. Right now I'm focusing on "shorter" races like 5Ks while I still have my youth (and speed).

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2010, 10:54 PM

A half marathon is my longest run.
I normally run around 30 kilometers a week which is normally two 15 kilometer runs.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2010, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
I average around 3-4 miles a day - and my longest run has been 12 miles. Doing a half marathon (13.1) on 10/10/2010, so that will break my personal record - assuming I finish.

Which half are you doing? I thought you lived in the Chicago area, and I didn't know there was a half that day (it's the same day as the Chicago Marathon though...)

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2010, 10:58 PM

5k. 24:47. I don't like running, don't run that often, and don't want to do it again. I did get a glimpse of that runners high thing, which was interesting.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2010, 11:52 PM

I ran cross country in high school. We did a 15 mile run a few times a year. I was a pack a day smoker at the time. I'd like to try some triathlon sprints sometime down the road, if I can get unlazy enough to start training.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777 View Post
Which half are you doing? I thought you lived in the Chicago area, and I didn't know there was a half that day (it's the same day as the Chicago Marathon though...)
Ha, I moved from Chicago back to Kansas City (where I'm from originally) in September of 2009. I'll be running in the Prairie Fire Marathon in Wichita, KS that day....

Prairie Fire Wichita Marathon

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 12:26 AM

Well, I was going to offer to pace you... but that's a little more out of my way than I expected!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 15, 2010, 07:03 AM

There was one day at cross country practice where the coach dropped us off about 8 miles outside of town and told us to run home. I finally broke into the 18s in the 5K and subsequently broke my leg, ending my career. I've run recreationally a few times since but I find it incredibly boring. My dad is in his late 50s and still tries to do at least one marathon per season.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2010, 09:30 AM

Twice around the world. Or about 7 km if you’re going to be all boring an honest about it.

-Q-
Jun 15, 2010, 10:16 AM

I've run the Peachtree Road Race twice (10K). I wish I found running more engaging but it just bores me to tears. Trying the bike to see if it's a more interesting form of exercise.

andi*pandi
Jun 15, 2010, 10:37 AM

6 miles. I once ran the entire esplanade and back to the dorms. I can't say I broke any speed records though.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2010, 10:41 AM

I've walked 500 miles, and I'd walk 500 more, to be the man that walked 1000 miles to fall down at Mordor.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I've walked 500 miles, and I'd walk 500 more, to be the man that walked 1000 miles to fall down at Mordor.
Oh yeah? Well, you know I’d walk a thousand miles if I could just see you tonight.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 11:04 AM

You peeps sound like you're just about to start necking deep fried Mars bars.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2010, 11:06 AM

I'm... not familiar with that saying.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
You peeps sound like you're just about to start necking deep fried Mars bars.
Och, ye callin’ me Scottish, laddie?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Och, ye callin’ me Scottish, laddie?
Not exactly the coolest peeps to be extracting lyrics from, are they?
YouTube - the proclaimers/500 miles

Now I don't expect anything better from those without nice t-shirt collections, but that's not you. C'mon, standards man, standards!
( Last edited by Doofy; Jun 15, 2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Speeling)

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2010, 11:49 AM

^ Yes, but mine were American, not Scottish.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 12:05 PM

I think about 10 miles in High School. I was never a fan of distance running, but had to do it a few times a year for track.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 02:29 PM

Is anyone using Nike+ for their running?

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 03:10 PM

I've done the SF Bay to Breakers 5K a few times.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
in one go? probably no more than 3 miles.
Same here. Back in high school when I was on the wrestling team. I wish I had the time and determination to get into shape and run again.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Thorzdad
Jun 15, 2010, 04:51 PM

I used to do regular 4-mile runs on my lunch hour. Our studio was out in the country and a group of us would run the empty roads out there. But that was ages ago. Since then, and until my recent back surgery put damn near all physical activity on-hold, I was doing semi-regular 3-mile runs on treadmills at my local Y.

I really, really, really miss running. I had just gotten new shoes, too.

Sealobo  (op)
Jun 15, 2010, 05:17 PM

Running is therapeutical.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 15, 2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I bought one for my sister for Christmas a few years back but I don't think she uses it.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2010, 05:57 PM

Harumph. I’ve been having plans about using the summer here to get a bit back into shape and start running again, now that my tendonitis is back down to controlled levels.

And then I go and sprain my ankle tonight, which of course means that won’t be happening any time soon.

*grmbl*

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2010, 05:58 PM

Probably only three or four miles. Any more than that, and my shins will threaten to murder me in my sleep.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2010, 06:02 PM

Running is so unbelievably boring to me unless I'm doing something else. I could run up and down a basketball court playing for 3 hours no problem but I have so little motivation to run around a track or just run. Listening to music doesn't help that much.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Probably only three or four miles. Any more than that, and my shins will threaten to murder me in my sleep.
I used to always get shin splints. I've been running with Vibram Five Fingers and don't get them anymore. There are a lot of barefoot running skeptics, but it does work. Just make sure you slowly build up your distance so you don't damage any tendons.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
Running is so unbelievably boring to me unless I'm doing something else. I could run up and down a basketball court playing for 3 hours no problem but I have so little motivation to run around a track or just run. Listening to music doesn't help that much.
Totally agree.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2010, 06:37 PM

Where do you guys run? Do you look at the ground in front of you or do you look out and around?
I like running near the beach, on trails, in nature areas, or any kind of interesting areas. I'm not a big fan of running through flat neighborhoods with track housing. You could try pushing yourself harder or running intervals.

Some people just don't like running. I feel the same way about basketball as he does about running. In the end, if you're getting any kind of aerobic exercise out of soccer, football, basketball, hockey, running, kitesurfing or whatever, you're better off than sitting around all day.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2010, 06:41 PM

^ I usually run down by the beach as well. I tend to look mostly at where I’m going, ’cause otherwise my breathing and steps get out of sync and I wear myself out too quickly. Can’t listen to music while running, either, completely messes up my rhythm.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 08:14 PM

@iLikeBeer, Central Park in NYC has a 10k road that goes around there. I run that road. I don't enjoy running around a 400 meter track or anything where the scenery doesn't change -- like a treadmill -- I find myself getting bored.

@Oisín, Nike+ got me into distance running and I could not run without music but recently my Apple earphones broke so I've been running without any music and I really enjoy it. I would always find that when I ran long distances (20k+) I'd take out my earphones towards the end because the music was bothering me.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer View Post
I used to always get shin splints. I've been running with Vibram Five Fingers and don't get them anymore. There are a lot of barefoot running skeptics, but it does work. Just make sure you slowly build up your distance so you don't damage any tendons.
There's a guy in my apartment building that always goes running around the neighborhood completely barefoot. One of the things that I've always marveled at is how different your gait is when barefoot vs in trainers, and he absolutely swears by it.

I recently got a pair of Nike Free 5.0s, and they've been helping a lot over my old shoes. I'm not sure if I'm ready to go fully barefoot (or Five Fingers) yet though.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Yes, religiously.

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2010, 12:32 AM

Ran a half marathon a few years ago, and accidentally ran a half marathon during training about a month ago (didn't realize how long I'd run until afterwards when I plotted it on Gmaps-Pedometer).

He's dead Jim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2010, 12:45 PM

But back in my youth, the cops had me running for at least 3 hours one night. I'd say least 4 miles.

I mean come on. Just a quick test drive of a unoccupied police car with the door open and engine running. Hell all the signs I saw was <"Test Drive">.

I didn't steal there damn doughnuts, just a quick test drive of the police car.
(damn thing stunk)

But they didn't agree. So after a short test drive. The foot chase began. Through alley's, over fences, through peoples yards...etc. Anyway I got away. Whew. So being chased was the best way to motivate me into running.

Thats my running story.
( Last edited by He's dead Jim; Jun 16, 2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: spelling)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 16, 2010, 12:46 PM

k...

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 12:52 PM

If you ran only 4 miles in 3 hours, it was taking you 45 minutes to run a mile. It takes most people around 20 minutes or so to walk a mile. Hmmm...

He's dead Jim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2010, 01:07 PM

It wasn't a continuous run. It was run a bit. Hide under a overturned john boat. Run some more, hide in the bed of a pickup truck.

Run really really fast, because the neighborhood dogs joined in on the chase and were barking and ratting out my location (Rottweilers love chasing and biting people).

Trust me, my breathing and heart rate was high enough.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
There's a guy in my apartment building that always goes running around the neighborhood completely barefoot. One of the things that I've always marveled at is how different your gait is when barefoot vs in trainers, and he absolutely swears by it.

I recently got a pair of Nike Free 5.0s, and they've been helping a lot over my old shoes. I'm not sure if I'm ready to go fully barefoot (or Five Fingers) yet though.
There's tons of articles about it online, but if you search "pose running" you'll come across all kinds of info. Basically, squishy heel running shoes have messed up how humans are naturally supposed to run. When you lose the fancy asics, you go from heel stomping to landing on your forefoot like god intended.

Forum Links
Forum Rules