Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Major earthquake predicted in California Sept. 2010

Major earthquake predicted in California Sept. 2010
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 04:36 PM

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 05:14 PM

Somebody needs to watch this video. Trust me, you won't regret it!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 15, 2010, 05:17 PM

That was worse than that The Landlord video.

Just kidding, I didn't even watch this video.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 05:19 PM

"Have your everything ready."

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 05:22 PM

Gotta like the caughing bit too... I don't know how this guy could have done all of this with a straight face.

Laminar: if you can watch this and tell me with all seriousness that it didn't bring a smile to your face, I'll.. I don't know what I'll do, just give me one more chance and watch this, okay?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2010, 07:00 PM

I watched about 12 seconds of that. I'll never get those 12 seconds back.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I watched about 12 seconds of that. I'll never get those 12 seconds back.
It's really making the rounds... I'm sure you would have stumbled across it eventually

Surprised you didn't like it... Somebody who reposted it on Facebook had a comment that this is the "funniest video on YouTube".

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2010, 08:17 PM

It's about the least funny video on YouTube.

Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 08:37 PM

What a Debbie Downer

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2010, 09:13 PM

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by CollinG3G4 View Post
Hehe... "Jesus loves you more than Yoga does".

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2010, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Hehe... "Jesus loves you more than Yoga does".
"He didn't suffer just a little bit, my friend. He suffered a lot more than Buddha, and Hindu, and Yoga ever suffered."

I appreciate his passion, but he had a few mistakes in that video (like the quote above). He was probably just nervous though and got a little flustered.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2010, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
"He didn't suffer just a little bit, my friend. He suffered a lot more than Buddha, and Hindu, and Yoga ever suffered."

I appreciate his passion, but he had a few mistakes in that video (like the quote above). He was probably just nervous though and got a little flustered.

You're too kind, I'd just blow him off as a loon

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2010, 03:50 PM

I watched it.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2010, 10:43 PM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Originally Posted by Second article
It is important that we don't assume the Torah Code can be used to make predictions. This is because we simply don't have enough information to ask the right questions. In the past, it has resulted in tables that were wrong, or that never happened. Professor Eliyahu Rips strongly suggests that the Torah Code is not a reliable source to use for predictions.

There are times where the Code actually did make accurate predictions. I believe those were meant to be. They came at a time when they needed to appear for the purpose of saving lives. The information was vital and timely. The recipients of this information were fortunate, yet the way the message is interpreted can often create even more questions than answers.
Somehow it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that you're into this shit.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2010, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Somehow it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that you're into this shit.
Man, such anger from you greg. I wonder where that comes from - fear perhaps? Why do you care what I'm into? Do you even know anything about the subject before declaring it's "shit"? I think it is fear. You have so much invested in your meager material existence that it's paralyzing for you to consider that an all mighty power could exist.

I've lived here all my life, and I know that California is overdue for a major earthquake. About six years overdue in my view. I'm not betting that we'll necessarily see one this year, but I assume one isn't far away. And if it's true that the Torah code pointing to a California earthquake pointed both to 1994 and 2010, well then. . .

I wonder how many apologies I'll get from this crowd if a major earthquake hits between now and September (when the Jewish year 5770/2010 ends).
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 27, 2010 at 06:09 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OreoCookie
Jun 27, 2010, 06:16 AM

There is no Torah Code (or Bible Code): I urge you to read the treatment by Barry Simon (see also here), a mathematical genius and orthodox Jew. His main points are:
Originally Posted by Barry Simon
  • Any text of similar size will have similar clusters of words to those found in the Torah.
  • The probabilities quoted for the word clusters are computed by methods contrary to the accepted laws of probability and used in situations where it is essentially impossible to assign meaningful probabilities.
  • The famous Rabbis experiment has many flaws in both its data and in its method. The largest flaw, one that, by itself, already entirely explains what was found, is the subjective nature of the list of appellations used for the Rabbis.
In addition to criticizing the methodology and elaborating on the mathematical aspects, he also discusses philosophical and linguistic reasons.

The take-home message of the mathematical side of things is: for any text of reasonable complexity (abababab… doesn't cut it, you need to have similar statistical distributions of letters compared to the text you're looking for), you can find a code that gives you the output you're looking for. Simon used a bit of War and Peace, but any other text will do.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Jun 27, 2010 at 06:56 AM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
There is no Torah Code (or Bible Code): I urge you to read the treatment by Barry Simon (see also here), a mathematical genius and orthodox Jew.
Thank you for citing your and Barry's opinion on the subject. But the opinion of one Jewish skeptic - even a religious skeptic with impressive scientific credientials - does not necessarily make fact. Just as the opinion of a Jewish believer in the codes - even a religious believer with impressive scientific credentials - does not necessarily make fact, either. And there are Torah observant mathematicians who do believe in the code. Aside from the researchers who originally published the Famous Rabbis experiment, look for example at the view of Harold Gans. In addition, if one wishes to claim there is absolutely no purposely encoded information in the Torah - such a view is in my opinion untenable given the evidence and a view that I would hope a guy like Barry Simon would have the integrity to reject. (If not, I'd like to see him try to explain that the Torah word ELS patterns embedded in the books of the Torah are there merely by chance.)

I happen to believe there are unique, statistically relevant codes to be found in the Torah that cannot be explained by chance nor duplicated by the results from other texts. Others will obviously disagree. Yet, many obviously have a biased agenda against the possibility of the Torah codes as well as against any credentialed researcher who believes in the validity of the codes. Most secularists are threatened by it and have to try to explain it away as myth. Those from academic circles who publicize their acceptance of the codes are risking their reputations and careers in a secular research world that disapproves of people recognizing anything beyond the physical. It must take a lot of courage and confidence in the Codes for them to take public positions in support of the phenomenon.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 27, 2010 at 10:18 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 27, 2010, 10:00 AM

Man, such anger from you greg. I wonder where that comes from - fear perhaps? Why do you care what I'm into? Do you even know anything about the subject before declaring it's "shit"? I think it is fear. You have so much invested in your meager material existence that it's paralyzing for you to consider that an all mighty power could exist.
An almighty power that hides prophesy in mathematical code for shits and giggles? Yep, that's probably it. Greg cries himself to sleep at night.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2010, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
An almighty power that hides prophesy in mathematical code for shits and giggles? Yep, that's probably it. Greg cries himself to sleep at night.
Do you ever have anything substantive to post in response to me, or is it all glib BS?

Waiting for this thread's relocation to PWL

OreoCookie
Jun 27, 2010, 02:48 PM

Thank you for citing your and Barry's opinion on the subject. But the opinion of one Jewish skeptic - even a religious skeptic with impressive scientific credientials - does not necessarily make fact.
Simon is not a religious skeptic, he's a devout orthodox Jew. (Or do you mean skeptic towards to existence of the Torah code?)

Your rather generic answer makes me wonder whether or not you've actually read the whole analysis. I find it quite readable for the general public.
Just as the opinion of a Jewish believer in the codes - even a religious believer with impressive scientific credentials - does not necessarily make fact, either. And there are Torah observant mathematicians who do believe in the code. Aside from the researchers who originally published the Famous Rabbis experiment, look for example at the view of Harold Gans.
Thanks for the link, I will look into it.
(If not, I'd like to see him try to explain that the Torah word ELS patterns embedded in the books of the Torah are there merely by chance.)
Have you read the text? He's analyzing ELS patterns in detail. And yes, it's purely by chance. The point is to actually compare the Torah to some other piece of text.

If you allow for a search algorithm that is sophisticated enough (or for a text that is long enough), you can also reproduce your grocery list. That doesn't mean your grocery list is somehow divine or foreseen by God, but that you have found a way to extract your grocery list for a random sequence of letters.
The quality of the clusters will be largely determined by the creativity of the searcher rather than by anything intrinsic to the underlying text.
I focus on the mathematical arguments since they are the ones I understand best. But also philosophically: why would God need to hide the truth inside the truth -- and make it pretty hard to find?
I happen to believe there are unique, statistically relevant codes to be found in the Torah that cannot be explained by chance nor duplicated by the results from other texts. Others will obviously disagree. Yet, many obviously have a biased agenda against the possibility of the Torah codes as well as against any credentialed researcher who believes in the validity of the codes. Most secularists are threatened by it and have to try to explain it away as myth. Those from academic circles who publicize their acceptance of the codes are risking their reputations and careers in a secular research world that disapproves of people recognizing anything beyond the physical. It must take a lot of courage and confidence in the Codes for them to take public positions in support of the phenomenon.
That's a strange line of argumentation: you start by your belief and end with the insinuation that this rejection is due to anti-religious bias of secular scientists!?! The way you portray the issue that there are two sides of equal proportion, one is made up of devout Jews and the other of secular scientists. That is not the case.
I have discussed the codes with a large number of the very best Orthodox mathematicians: the spectrum of responses varies. Shlomo Sternberg, an Orthodox mathematician at Harvard and a rav, has written an extremely negative view of the codes in Bible Review.[4] I've focused on the response of Orthodox mathematicians, not because of a different view in the community at large (on the contrary, the mathematical community at large is more negative) but because there is an assumption among frum laymen that I've talked to that it is only "atheistic scientists" who could possibly doubt the codes. Suffice it to say that not only isn't it true that there is general support in the scientific community for the validity of this research - the overwhelming majority of well meaning scientists who have looked at this have the opposite view.
(This quote has been taken from here.)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2010, 07:43 PM

Simon is not a religious skeptic, he's a devout orthodox Jew. (Or do you mean skeptic towards to existence of the Torah code?)
No, I understand that. I meant a "religious" skeptic of the code as opposed to a religious "believer" in the code or a secular skeptic of the code.

Your rather generic answer makes me wonder whether or not you've actually read the whole analysis. I find it quite readable for the general public.
In truth I did not. I skimmed the first section and got the gist of this person's perspective. He's an accomplished mathematician and a Torah observant Jew who rejects Torah codes as completely coincidental and of no value. That's fine, I understand his perspective. It shows me that there are people who fall into that category, which I never denied being the case anyway. I view it as one professional opinion that should be recognized among many on the subject, and it doesn't alter my view. (I also saw that a friend of his who mentions their work together is highly hostile toward Torah code research, from which I infer both may be very biased on the topic, but that's not something I can necessarily prove.)

Thanks for the link, I will look into it.
Thank you for being open to looking into the other side's view. If things were as cut and dry as you claim, there wouldn't be mathematicians and statisticians on the other side attesting to the validity of statistically significant codes. I do, however, recognize that among scholars those who are pro-Torah Codes are very much in the minority.

Have you read the text? He's analyzing ELS patterns in detail. And yes, it's purely by chance. The point is to actually compare the Torah to some other piece of text.
I don't think you even know which specific ELS code I'm referring to. I'm talking about the first ELS ever found, an encoding of a specific, repeating meaningful pattern in each of the five books of the Torah: TORaH (found in short-skip ELS in Genesis) > TORaH (found in short skip ELS in Exodus) YHVH (the Tetragrammaton) (found in short skip ELS in Leviticus) > HaROT (Torah backward) (found in short skip ELS in Numbers) > HaROT (found in short skip ELS in Deutoronomy). See this article for a fuller explanation. That was the first "Torah code" and was found by hand by a rabbi before the age of computers. Now if you can find me a consistent pattern at all similar to that in any other text, I may change my view. I haven't seen a claim made like that for War and Peace, Moby Dick, any other religious text or any other text aside from those. As far as I know the Torah is unique in having a code like that. If we got signals from space with that kind of encoded information in them you can be sure every secular scientist would proclaim ET had been found.

That code has never been rivaled. The famous rabbis code has never been rivaled (and in fact it has become even further validated in recent years through additional testing that has unlocked more details). And whatever you may think about the codes, the Rabin assassination code served as a prediction of a future event. Drosnin, the researcher who found it, tried to warn Rabin ahead of time but was unable to do so. Even though he thus far hasn't had the same success with trying to predict future events through code research, that hit cannot be denied. It can be chocked up to chance, but there's no denying that it served to predict a future event. Individual methods and the codes derived through them have to be assessed critically, but to claim that there's nothing valid in this field of research is, in my view, an untenable position.

If you allow for a search algorithm that is sophisticated enough (or for a text that is long enough), you can also reproduce your grocery list. That doesn't mean your grocery list is somehow divine or foreseen by God, but that you have found a way to extract your grocery list for a random sequence of letters.
There are many ways to improperly do this analysis, certainly, and such improper methods lead to invalid results. If you game the system by altering your search terms to fit instead of sticking with terms chosen a priori, you'll get invalid results. Or, if you don't focus on statistically significant results you'll get codes that may look good but may properly be assigned to random chance. But if you use a priori search terms and constrain your search to narrow matrices, as serious code researchers do, you get (in the view of proponents and by any statistical point of view I can see) statistically significant codes that cannot be said to have occurred at random. Based on my knowledge of the subject, while perhaps a handful of such codes can be found in works of significant length, the Torah yields far more than any other text. And as I said before I've never seen a result from another text that even comes close to the codes I cited above.

I focus on the mathematical arguments since they are the ones I understand best. But also philosophically: why would God need to hide the truth inside the truth -- and make it pretty hard to find?
It may not strike you as sensible philosophically speaking, but Torah codes are actually very compatible with Jewish teachings and beliefs. Throughout the centuries it was taught in various ways by various Jewish authorities that the text of the Torah has a tremendous amount of secrets (the sources say endless secrets I believe) embedded within it, that it can be analyzed in many different ways that are all valid and that while the simple reading of the text is completely valid and the primary meaning, it is just one of many levels of understanding. The concept of Torah codes fits exactly with the ancient teachings that the Torah has a limitless depth of information found within it. And for those of us who take as fact that the Torah's author is the G-d of everything who has perfect knowledge of all things past, present and future, it makes sense that He would embed hidden references in His holy text to facts in the far future. References that would be hidden from humanity for the most part until technological advances would make it possible to uncover them. It also goes along with the teaching that secrets have been sealed in the texts and will be uncovered just prior to the end of this world order, with the impending Messianic Era to follow. It's another piece in the puzzle that makes me confident enough to declare around here that I think that's where we're at, at this point in history.

That's a strange line of argumentation: you start by your belief and end with the insinuation that this rejection is due to anti-religious bias of secular scientists!?! The way you portray the issue that there are two sides of equal proportion, one is made up of devout Jews and the other of secular scientists. That is not the case.
I'm shaking my head here. Half of what you wrote there is correct. Yes, I do strongly believe that some scientists reject the possibility of the Torah codes because of secular bias. I think that many in scientific fields reject out of hand any possibility of the divine because it clashes with their atheistic world view of science and the nature of reality. A professor of a physical anthropology course I once took (and aced) declared to the class on the first day that we were only going to look at facts, not religion. I see that bias as being pervasive. And I also see that those scientific professionals who don't stay behind the dividing line of secularism in science are putting their reputations, careers and relationships with their peers at serious risk because of the anti-religious bias.

But as for your second sentence, you clearly misunderstood me. I don't think that there are two sides of equal proportion, one made of devout Jews and the other of secular scientists. Firstly, I don't think both sides are of equal proportion. Scientific believers in the code are in the minority, I recognize. Secondly, I never said that all devout Jews believe in the phenomenon. I said that there are a variety of opinions with skeptics and believers in the codes of various kinds. If you truly thought I believed otherwise based on what I wrote I apologize for not making my position clear.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 27, 2010 at 11:50 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2010, 11:14 AM

Do you ever have anything substantive to post in response to me, or is it all glib BS?

Waiting for this thread's relocation to PWL
There's no point in responding to your posts with substance, you're not in this to learn or grow, but instead to frame whatever you see to fit what you want to believe.

OreoCookie
Jun 28, 2010, 11:50 AM

In truth I did not. I skimmed the first section and got the gist of this person's perspective. He's an accomplished mathematician and a Torah observant Jew who rejects Torah codes as completely coincidental and of no value.
You cannot get someone else's point of view from reading the conclusions, what's important is how he arrived at them! You often speak of a `lack of evidence' or write `I have never seen …', but if you're presented with examples you don't read them. It's nice that you complement me for trying to read counter arguments, but you should do the same.

Are you afraid you may change your mind on the topic after reading it and thinking about it?
That's fine, I understand his perspective.
You can't unless you read his whole texts.
I don't think you even know which specific ELS code I'm referring to. I'm talking about the first ELS ever found, an encoding of a specific, repeating meaningful pattern in each of the five books of the Torah:
I suppose you are referring to the one known before the 20th century. Note that I'm not an expert on the Torah or its history and I rely on Simon's articles here.
Now if you can find me a consistent pattern at all similar to that in any other text, I may change my view. I haven't seen a claim made like that for War and Peace, Moby Dick, any other religious text or any other text aside from those.
You would have if you had read the articles. (Sorry to repeat myself here.)
It can be chocked up to chance, but there's no denying that it served to predict a future event. Individual methods and the codes derived through them have to be assessed critically, but to claim that there's nothing valid in this field of research is, in my view, an untenable position.
The issue with `predicting the future' is the same as in other famous texts, e. g. Nostradamus infamous predictions: you can only interpret them a posteriori, i. e. find an interpretation that fits the events after they have happened. And then, since you have `found' the correct interpretation, you claim the texts predict the future. They don't, the human mind just finds an interpretation to make it fit reality and history.
But if you use a priori search terms and constrain your search to narrow matrices, as serious code researchers do, you get (in the view of proponents and by any statistical point of view I can see) statistically significant codes that cannot be said to have occurred at random.
That was actually one of the crucial problems of the Rabbi ELS: the appellations were in fact rather arbitrary to the degree that the people who have compiled the list couldn't clearly tell why they've used one spelling than the other in the search. And if you don't remember why you've chosen one over the other, in all likelihood the same researcher will come up with a different list of appellations if (s)he should decide to repeat the same experiment 10 or 20 years later.
He would embed hidden references in His holy text to facts in the far future. References that would be hidden from humanity for the most part until technological advances would make it possible to uncover them. It also goes along with the teaching that secrets have been sealed in the texts and will be uncovered just prior to the end of this world order, with the impending Messianic Era to follow. It's another piece in the puzzle that makes me confident enough to declare around here that I think that's where we're at, at this point in history.
That interpretation doesn't sit well with me. However, this is a matter of philosophy which cannot be settled by arguments. I don't think I'd like to believe in a God who sees it necessary to hide the truth from my eyes: does he want to see me falter even more, just because I misinterpret hidden messages?
A professor of a physical anthropology course I once took (and aced) declared to the class on the first day that we were only going to look at facts, not religion. I see that bias as being pervasive.
Without knowing this professor, but quite likely you have misunderstood what he meant. And it's typically religious people with a poor background in natural sciences who take offense (I'm not necessarily implying you have a poor background in natural sciences), because they feel science is infringing on their beliefs. However, if you know which questions or aspects are a matter of faith and which are a matter of science, you don't negate faith or its value if you ask yourselves questions that can be answered by science. You perceive it as atheistic as there is no god/religion in the analysis. So far so good. But that's because scientists when they are working ask science questions! I wouldn't fault a Rabbi for not answering science questions or insinuate an anti-science bias in his teachings because it is not present in his sermons or writings. I digress.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2010, 12:26 PM

I've lived here all my life, and I know that California is overdue for a major earthquake. About six years overdue in my view.
Is that based on your experience as someone who lives there? You look around and figure "jeez, we should've had an earthquake six years ago"? Or do you listen to the ground or something stereotypically aboriginal like that?

Or did you, you know... get that figure from geologists and/or people who study these things?

I'm not betting that we'll necessarily see one this year, but I assume one isn't far away.
Well gee, you're on a particularly active fault line beteen two tectonic plates that hasn't had an earthquake in a while. You're really going out on a limb here.

And if it's true that the Torah code pointing to a California earthquake pointed both to 1994 and 2010, well then. . .
...and if it's not true?

What happens then? I suppose someone will have been wrong?

I wonder how many apologies I'll get from this crowd if a major earthquake hits between now and September (when the Jewish year 5770/2010 ends).
I'll promise to apologize about being wrong in this particular situation... only if you give your word to call the entire concept of Torah codes a "ridiculous farce" if it doesn't happen.

Deal?

greg

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2010, 12:51 PM

...and if it's not true?

What happens then? I suppose someone will have been wrong?
Right and wrong are irrelevant, apparently.

The sun rose on the morning of October 23 like any other day, and October 22 became the Millerites' Great Disappointment. Hiram Edson recorded that "Our fondest hopes and expectations were blasted, and such a spirit of weeping came over us as I never experienced before... We wept, and wept, till the day dawn."[25] Following the Great Disappointment most Millerites simply gave up their beliefs. Some did not and viewpoints and explanations proliferated.
William Miller (preacher) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2010, 01:59 PM

the G-d of everything

I'd like to solve the puzzle, Pat...... The God of everything!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2010, 02:02 PM

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2010, 01:27 PM

I'll promise to apologize about being wrong in this particular situation... only if you give your word to call the entire concept of Torah codes a "ridiculous farce" if it doesn't happen.

Deal?

greg
whaaaaaaaaaa happen

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2010, 07:46 AM

Getting close, ripped from today's headlines: Moderate 5.4 Quake Rattles Southern California
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jul 8, 2010 at 08:00 AM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2010, 08:22 AM

...but are you going to take me up on my offer?

Geez, a friend of mine in Toronto had a picture fall off her office wall during their earthquake a couple weeks ago. This isn't exactly big news when you live on a fault line is it?

Come on, this is the only way you're going to get an "apology" from me if a big earthquake does hit. Otherwise, it's just some religious nutbar who "predicted" what geologists have been saying for years - "any day now" - and guessed right. Yay.

greg

andi*pandi
Jul 8, 2010, 08:36 AM

Over the weekend we rented 2012. We're all doomed, people. Only John Cusack can save us now.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2010, 09:24 AM

I don't think I'd like to believe in a God who sees it necessary to hide the truth from my eyes: does he want to see me falter even more, just because I misinterpret hidden messages?
God doesn't want to hide messages from you. In fact, God tells you how it is straight out:

"I tell you the truth, if you have faith and don't doubt, you can do things like this and much more. You can even say to this mountain, 'May you be lifted up and thrown into the sea,' and it will happen"
So, if you're looking for text codes and believe 100% that you'll find them, you will. If you doubt you'll find them, you won't. That's how reality works. If you believe that the cat is dead, it's dead. You believe it's alive, it's alive. First observer sets the baseline, almost everyone else follows.

Of course, a bunch of folks who are more concerned with promoting their "intellect" to the world than with God will tell you that there are codes in the torah and that unless you're a fat old man in a posh frock, you won't be able to find them. Not even if you're God, since not even His intellect surpasses that of a rabbi.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
So, if you're looking for text codes and believe 100% that you'll find them, you will. If you doubt you'll find them, you won't. That's how reality works. If you believe that the cat is dead, it's dead. You believe it's alive, it's alive. First observer sets the baseline, almost everyone else follows.
I'm not sure if you realized it, but your quoted text differs in context from your example.

The text says you can do things. Unless your example means that by looking you've created the codes or killed the cat, then your example is merely a matter of perception - not reality.

Unless you meant something different...?

greg

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2010, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Over the weekend we rented 2012. We're all doomed, people. Only John Cusack can save us now.
I always wondered why a prothetic limb could block a giant machinery like that shutting mechanism.

Maybe Petersen always buys his stuff cheap and has no confidence in product quality.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2010, 02:29 AM

Getting close, ripped from today's headlines: Moderate 5.4 Quake Rattles Southern California
Must have slept through it.

Will there be a rerun?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2010, 06:18 AM

I'm not sure if you realized it, but your quoted text differs in context from your example.

The text says you can do things. Unless your example means that by looking you've created the codes or killed the cat, then your example is merely a matter of perception - not reality.
Reality is created by perception. We create it as we go.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2010, 05:50 PM

Didn't know you were into the touchy-feely hippy crap. The Universe, right? Right.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2010, 06:00 PM

Didn't know you were into the touchy-feely hippy crap.
I'm not. Well, not unless said hippy is at least a 34DD and has had a bath today. Then maybe I'd have a touchy-feel (as long as she keeps her stupid hippy mouth shut).

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2010, 06:00 PM

Didn't know you were into the touchy-feely hippy crap. The Universe, right? Right.
I looked at your sig. after I read what you said, and it makes sense now.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I'm not. Well, not unless said hippy is at least a 34DD and has had a bath today. Then maybe I'd have a touchy-feel (as long as she keeps her stupid hippy mouth shut).
Well, in that case, wouldn’t an open mouth be more useful?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Well, in that case, wouldn’t an open mouth be more useful?
Don't be disgusting!
With a hippy? Blegh.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2010, 06:07 PM

You know how people always rail against things they are closeted about? Well, I think that Doofy is probably a closet hippy.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2010, 07:41 PM

He is a veggie...

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2010, 08:04 PM

He might also be a Commie...

Forum Links
Forum Rules