Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Is there any way to snatch a Flash video?

Is there any way to snatch a Flash video?
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 14, 2010, 04:03 AM

Looking for an application comparable to TubeSock/MacTubes that can snatch a Flash video from web pages? Any such app?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

P
Jul 14, 2010, 06:43 AM

Lots, but they're usually browser plugins. Which browser?

For Safari, you can simply find the filename in the Activity window and download that one.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

-Q-
Jul 14, 2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
For Safari, you can simply find the filename in the Activity window and download that one.
That's been the most reliable method for me.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2010, 10:48 AM

Doesn't work for streaming flash though.

P
Jul 14, 2010, 11:52 AM

If you find the location of that file (using Activity monitor), you can open it in VLC. VLC can then save the stream.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Cold Warrior
Jul 14, 2010, 03:16 PM

Or alt-double click to download the file.

But in general I use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...53003/?src=api

Firefox + this addon is an easy and consistent way to download videos. Works a lot better IMHO than many other youtube or flash downloaders.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2010, 03:49 PM

I haven't tried it in a while, but VideoBox worked well for me in the past.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2010, 04:02 PM

I'm wondering why isn't this a standard feature like "save image as".. it's always a pain to download flash video and I end up not saving them

P
Jul 14, 2010, 05:48 PM

It's a selling point for Flash to some people that the video file is "protected", the same way that the Flash autostarting is a selling point to advertisers.

Never forget TANSTAAFL. Adobe makes no money off of you downloading their app. They make money selling publishing and authoring tools. They only ever did any serious work on the Flash plugin when they got some real challenge from HTML5 and Apple's stance. They'd rather do nothing and just improve the tools, because that's what they make money on. If they made two cents taking away some other of your rights, they'd do it.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2010, 10:10 AM

Maybe Adobe doesn't want us to download flash files easily, but browser-makers could include a function in their browser, as it is semi-easy to save them already...

P
Jul 15, 2010, 10:57 AM

I'd much rather they included a feature block autorunning flash. There is a defaults setting for that in Safari 5, but it doesn't do anything.

Curiosity
Senior User
Jul 16, 2010, 01:07 AM

To stop plugins from loading automatically, there is Safari Stand for Safari. To prevent Flash from loading automatically, there is Flashblock for Firefox.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2010, 01:25 AM

Yeah, the stuff I'm trying to capture is streaming. And Firefox, for whatever reason, seems to be refusing to load the page so I'm unable to even take a stab at it with the 'Download Flash and Video' add-on.

Rubbish.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

P
Jul 16, 2010, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
To stop plugins from loading automatically, there is Safari Stand for Safari. To prevent Flash from loading automatically, there is Flashblock for Firefox.
And Click2Flash for Safari. Yes, I know - my point is just to show how Adobe doesn't care about you, and the browser makers aren't standing up for you.

P
Jul 16, 2010, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Yeah, the stuff I'm trying to capture is streaming. And Firefox, for whatever reason, seems to be refusing to load the page so I'm unable to even take a stab at it with the 'Download Flash and Video' add-on.

Rubbish.
What happens if you try the way I suggested (find location of file in the activity window and paste it into "Open URL..." in VLC)?

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2010, 08:09 AM

Well, I'm not sure if any of this content will load outside of Australia, but here is the page I'm trying to capture from.

Looking at the Activity window, I'm not able to discern what the stream itself is.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

-Q-
Jul 16, 2010, 10:34 AM

Blocked here in the states.

P
Jul 16, 2010, 12:46 PM

Blocked in Europe as well. Sorry.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2010, 05:47 AM

Yeah, figured. Thanks anyways guys. :-)
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2010, 06:06 AM

I'm sure we could find a bunch of Flash video material that's not only not blocked in the U.S., but also quite illegal.

BTW, for some reason I keep reading the title "Is there any way to flash a snatch video?", which is probably completely inappropriate.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2010, 09:02 PM

I use CosmoPod, works excellent, one of the few apps worth buying. Converts to mp4 too.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2010, 09:26 PM

Not available outside the US?

Forum Links
Forum Rules