Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Band Width Stats, Page Hit Stats, POP3 Mail, and Form Mail

Band Width Stats, Page Hit Stats, POP3 Mail, and Form Mail
Jager
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2002, 08:40 PM

I would like to know where I can aquire either for free, or for a cost Band Width Stat pages, for my clients. also one for hit stats.

I've also been having a problem with the POP3/IMAP Email, i would like to know how to set it up with a .com/.net name? well actually several.

Also, I would like some information on setting up form mail. I have it installed and configured, it just isnt working, it sayes that it works. but I never get the email

Computer information:

X.2 Server(I know I need to Update to X.2.1 Server..)
eMac is the current one that this is being set up on, before the X Servers get it
Unlimited Client Version.

Thanks For any help

Camelot
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2002, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by Jager:
I would like to know where I can aquire either for free, or for a cost Band Width Stat pages, for my clients. also one for hit stats.
THE most popular bandwidth graphing program is MRTG. It uses SNMP to connect network statistics of any server or router and generates great graphs showing usage.

I've never installed in on Mac OS X, but it's all perl-based so I wouldn't anticipate any trouble.

However, it is only able to graph statistics based on the machine, so if you're running multiple virtual domains on one machine it can not determine the relative bandwidth used by each virtual host. How you'd achieve that depends on what type of service(s) you're running on the machine. If only web you can parse the web logs easy enough, but if also running email and ftp, it gets harder.

I've also been having a problem with the POP3/IMAP Email, i would like to know how to set it up with a .com/.net name? well actually several.
I assume you mean Apple's Mail server? It does not support users in multiple domains. Setting the mail server up to receive email for your domain is a matter of making sure the MX records in your DNS are set correctly.

Also, I would like some information on setting up form mail. I have it installed and configured, it just isnt working, it sayes that it works. but I never get the email
Need WAY more information on this one. Which form mail script are you running? what do the web logs say? what does the mail log say? can you send any mail from this machine?
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Jager  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2002, 09:53 PM

Ok, I cant send any mail form mail. I've installed Webmin and am working through that one.

For the domains, I guess I will be going with a Mail Server application? if so, then i need a good one

Jager  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2002, 10:11 PM

Drop formmail from that list, it is now running...

Camelot
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2002, 04:21 AM

Originally posted by Jager:
Ok, I cant send any mail form mail. I've installed Webmin and am working through that one.

For the domains, I guess I will be going with a Mail Server application? if so, then i need a good one
Webmin is designed to configure sendmail, not Apple's Mail server, so you need to work out what mail server you're actually running right now.

As far as alternate mail servers are concerned, there's the venerable sendmail which is free, as well as several other free mail servers, each of which has varying degrees of cryptic configuration and setup.

Commercial mail servers tend to have easier setup and maintenance options, but cost $$'s.

Commercial packages worth looking at include Stalker's CommuniGate, Tenon's Post.Office and the upcoming WebSTAR Mail from 4D.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules