Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Routers anc conections

Routers anc conections
Jager
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2002, 10:19 PM

remote people can view everyhting correctly, but I can only ping, not ftp or view sites

Also it is aparent that all my DNS settings are correct. and I am behind the router.

The router is a SMC Barricade/SMC Networks 4-Port 10/100 Mbps Brodband Router... SMC7004ABR-CA

I need someone to help me get my other computer to see it. because this is the main problem. I cannot run a mail server because the router doesnt seem to understand what to do or something.... there is another guy working on this that know a lot more than me, but he has me post it...

Jager  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2002, 10:20 PM

the actuall title is AND not ANC... sorry

AriosSw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2002, 10:29 PM

Alright, I am trying to help him get this working, but I don't know a lot about routers.

Basically, he has the router named above with two computers behind it - the server and a G4 tower. The necesary ports are opened on the router, and from here (remote) I can see everything on the server (the websites, ftp, etc.). He, on the tower, can do an nslookup on one of the website domains and get the correct ip address, and he can also ping that address. But, he can not access the sites or ftp from the tower (Connection failed).

Does anyone have any clue why this might be happening? My only idea is that the router is allowing internal connections to the external IP from the port ping uses, but not the other ports (80 and FTP(21?)). The problem is I don't have any experience with his router, so I don't know how to change this.

The mail server right now isn't the main problem - we need to get him to able to see the sites he's hosting.

Thanks for any help
/**********************************/
// Arios SoftWare - Xirux Design
// www.ariossoftware.com
// www.xiruxdesign.com

Camelot
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2002, 02:23 AM

It sounds like the firewall on the router is blocking the connections.

I'd try simplifying things first - turn off the port mapping (that's handing the incoming web and ftp connections) and see if you can get out.

Then check the firewall settings and make sure that outgoing connections aren't being dropped.

Once you've got outgoing connections working, try adding the incoming port maps one by one.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

AriosSw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2002, 05:35 PM

Oops, thats what we forgot to mention. He can see every site on the internet *except* the ones he's hosting. This is what is confusing me.
// Arios SoftWare - Xirux Design
// www.ariossoftware.com
// www.xiruxdesign.com

Jager  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2002, 10:17 PM

prehaps I should kill the fire wall?

Camelot
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2002, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by AriosSw:
Oops, thats what we forgot to mention. He can see every site on the internet *except* the ones he's hosting. This is what is confusing me.
so it's a loopback issue on the router... internal systems can't hit an IP address on the outside interface of the router which points back to a port map to an internal machine?

Sounds like a router configuration issue. Playing with the router settings might help

What do SMC have to say about it?
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Jager  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2002, 06:44 PM

well, they had no comment, so, I will need some sugestions on how to configure the router so it works, that is the general reason of this thread

Forum Links
Forum Rules