Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > wireless password not stored in keychain

wireless password not stored in keychain
daqman
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2007, 02:37 PM

I had my glink wireless access point configured to use WPA and I'd been using it with my MacBook-pro for about six months or so with no problems. Recently the Mac started to refuse to remember the WPA password in the keychain and would ask for it every time despite me clicking the box to ask for it to remember. I read about various OSX issues with WPA and dropped back to WEP but still have the problem. OSX version 10.4.9, 15" MacBook-pro.
I've tried:

1) Repairing privileges.
2) keychain first aid.
3) delete and recreate the system keychain
4) delete and recreate my login keychain
5) search for any preference or other files containing the name of my wireless network
5) tried a different password
6) tried a different wireless access point
7) cursed a lot

I've done a lot of googling but can't find any solution. Does anyone here have an idea?
It asks for the password every time I wake from sleep, boot, disable then re-enable airport or switch networks despite being asked to remember the password in the keychain.
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 4, 2007, 06:43 PM

One thing you didn't seem to try is deleting your location and creating a new one. This is actually something that's happened "more than rarely," and that's the first step.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

daqman  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2007, 04:39 PM

Thanks ghporter. That fixed it, at least it's been over 24 hours without the problem. I had already tried deleting the location (forgot to list that) but this time I deleted ALL the locations that had wireless enabled and the problem went away. I am starting to wonder if I had my home wireless network in the locations for home,work and my favourite coffee seller and there was some confusion (either mine or the OS) about which location I was using when the problem as happening.

Anyway that's another useful fix stored away in my DEVONThink-pro database.

daqman  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2007, 04:42 PM

I was amused to see myself listed as "Fresh-Faced Recruit" with a join date of September 2000. I suppose that I do more reading than writing.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 6, 2007, 10:00 PM

The ranking is based on a total of (as of today) 13 posts, not join date. You've been around a lot longer than me, but you haven't been quite as active.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules