Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Leopard Mail, delay applying rules

Leopard Mail, delay applying rules
daqman
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2008, 03:58 PM

I upgraded my wife's Mac Mini to Leopard and ever since then she has been having an irritating problem with mail. She has rules set up so that Mail plays a different sound when mail arrives from people she wants to respond to right away. The problem is that sometimes, but not always, the rule is triggered very late. For example the Mac will let out the sound indicating an email coming from me at work even though I've been home for an hour. It isn't that the mail is late coming in because sometimes she's already responded to the mail. I've done some tests and I can send a mail from my laptop, walk over to the Mac Mini and see the email there and then the sound plays much later.

Has anyone got any ideas? I can't see any options for when a rule is applied. I thought they were applied to all new mail as soon as it arrives.
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

Dan N
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2008, 11:27 PM

I'm having the exact same problem lately with mail. However I'm running 10.4.11. FWIW it is a pretty clean install as my drive crashed just a couple of weeks ago.

-Dan

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2008, 11:59 PM

I firmly believe that there is a bug in the Leopard version of mail in recognizing new messages right away. This is actually supposed to be improved with the IDLE IMAP command support supported by most IMAP servers, but it seems buggy. You might want to try turning off IDLE support in your account prefs to see if this helps.

I can't explain the problem with Tiger Mail without more details.

daqman  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2008, 08:46 AM

I looked at the IMAP preferences. The IMAP idle preference is on but gray so I can't turn it off!

The account with the problem is a mac.com account read using IMAP. My wife used to use POP but we changed to IMAP so she could access her archived email from anywhere. I have two IMAP accounts of my own one is dotmac and one is at work. My mac.com works fine with the same settings and running the same version of Leopard. I do see that for the mac.com accounts the IMAP idle preference is gray and un-clickable but with the other IMAP accounts it isn't gray. It looks like Apple is forcing IMAP idle for mac.com users.

daqman  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2008, 08:55 AM

At the risk of really messing things up I had a play with my own account. I deleted the mac.com account from the mail preferences and set it up manually. At the end of the process the IMAP idle preference isn't gray and I can switch it off. I'll carefully do the same for my wife and see what happens.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2008, 10:50 AM

I'm probably not going to be much help then, I can only help with accounts that follow the open IMAP spec and do things the conventional way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules