Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How many People still using Powerbooks?

How many People still using Powerbooks? (Page 2)
kenw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2008, 02:59 PM

I'm still using a Rev. A. 12" Powerbook G4. It's about 4.5 years old. It's not my main computer, but it is great for traveling. I would like to replace it with a 12" MacBook Pro, if they ever come out with one. The Air is impressive in its own way, but the missing ports and security slot rule it out. Since my Powerbook is running at only 867 MHz, with a 40 GB hard drive, it now looks like upgrading the processor, hard drive, and RAM makes more sense than waiting for a replacement from Apple.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2008, 06:07 PM

Still using a second-to-last generation 15" PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz purchased in summer 2005, running 10.4. I have no plans to upgrade to 10.5 -- none of the features interest me enough to risk the performance loss. I haven't gone and maxed the RAM yet (have 1 GB installed presently) but I expect to do that this year. I don't use it for anything too taxing. I get my gaming fix right now from Colin McRae Rally, which it runs quite nicely, so I don't expect to replace it for at least another couple of years.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

HazMacFan
Feb 9, 2008, 06:56 PM

My 9 year old took over the 1.2 GHz 12" iBook G4 while he still shares with his two younger siblings a 20" iMac G5. Both running Leopard fast enough for Safari and very little Garageband, Pages, and maybe the occasional TuxPaint.

I am using a refurb 15" MBPro 2.2 GHz while the main family Mac is a 24" iMac Aluminum 2.8 GHz . I have a subset of the iTunes library on the G5 for them and a subset of the iPhoto library just in case. The Intel Macs are faster with those two applications and slightly with Safari. Not by much and I should be keeping the G4 and G5 until they stop working.
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2008, 10:32 AM

Still using my dear 17" PowerBook G4 1.33 GHz with Leopard!

I wished it could do some of the newer things like BootCamp, and run cooler and longer, but generally it's been peachy. It's really amazing that it remains reliable all these years!

I'm starting uni soon and due for a new laptop, and am holding out as long as possible in the hopes that there will be a Mac tablet - Really don't want to end up with a MS Tablet

mattcass
Feb 10, 2008, 04:42 PM

I'm using my circa 2003 1 GHz Powerbook 15" for everything! If I wasn't looking to do RAW image processing for photography, I'd have no reason to think about upgrading.

I've slowly spent a bit of money on it over the years. First an extra 512 MB of RAM for 768 total, then I found a great deal on some 1 GB sticks so I maxed it out to 2 GB. Picked up an external iSight for $100. Then the 60 GB 4200 rpm HD was replaced with a 7200 rpm 100 GB. All I need to do now is get a new battery. I still have the original and it's shot. I don't think I'll be buying Leopard.

I'm thinking about getting an aluminum iMac because of the sheer processing power, but my Powerbook will always stay with me as my portable until it's completely dead.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2008, 04:50 PM

Powerbook 15" 1.25 (Known as the FW 800 model). Coming up on 4 years old, and it is by far the most stable, reliable Mac I have ever owned. It's no speed demon, but it's respectable. 1 gig of RAM, and once the warranty was up, I put a 100 gb 7200 rpm drive in. It's not my main machine, but I still love it. 80 days uptime, as we speak.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2008, 10:07 PM

12in, 867 G4 Powerbook. Busted HD. Sits under my TV attached to a 250 Firewire drive. Torrents all day long. Plays movies on my TV at night.

Bought it super duper cheap!

ickystay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2008, 11:19 PM

I have a Pismo 400mhz 1GB OSX 10.3.9 with a 160GB HD (the computer only sees 127GB) and a flashed Pioneer DVR-K05 optical drive. It's lovely to rip a bunch of movies and TV shows onto the drive and watch at my leisure.

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2008, 10:20 PM

I'm happily using my 15-inch PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz with 2 GB RAM and an upgraded hard drive.

I will probably jump on the Penryn MacBook Pros (tomorrow?). Each time I'm ready to jump to Intel either (1) my clients outsource the job or (2) I eke just enough of what I need with Virtual PC. The ever-increasing speed plus built-in iSight camera plus my kids needing more and more cycles has me about to jump. If the Penryn machines don't materialize shortly I'll wait until the summer Montevina chip update.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

K-Bat
Feb 12, 2008, 03:43 PM

My PB 1.5 15-inch is almost 4 years old, still running 10.3.9. The screen became noticeably darker, and I see hairline scratches here and there, but this 'book is so reliable, traveled around the world with me, and is very fast. It's got a 7200rpm drive and 2GB of RAM. I've thought about upgrading to the MBP many times, but every time I tried my colleagues' MBPs, I couldn't notice any practical performance gains. MS Office software, which I heavily use daily, runs unacceptably slowly on the MBP. Perhaps the newer Office 2008 solved the speed problem on Intel machines.

draggerman11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2008, 04:55 PM

Yep, still using my last revision Powerbook, 1.67GHz/1GB Ram/128MB. It does its job, but is getting slow with some applications, and I am beginning to dislike its weight.

Also, for whatever reason, battery life is not that great, even after I got a new battery last summer. It barely lasts for 3 hours with the backlight on the lowest level, Wi-Fi off, and marginal use -- only using a notetaking app. That is what is really getting me.

Maui19
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2008, 07:54 PM

I have a Powerbook 15" 1.25. It has been a workhorse for me. It is my main Internet cruiser at home, and allows me to take my office with me on the road. Apple Care replaced the hard drive and display just a couple days before coverage expired. But it is a little sluggish and definitely heavier than I'd like when traveling. I have been waiting for Apple to offer a sub-compact, and bought the MBA a few days ago. The thing is perfect for me. Now I don't really know what to do with my G4 PB. I supposed I'll dump it on eBay, but it has been such a trooper for me, I have mixed feelings about selling it.

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2008, 02:25 AM

I'm running a 12" PB G4 1.5 Ghz with 1.25GB of RAM. Bought it in 2006 after the 12" had just been discontinued, but CompUSA still had it in stock. Love the portability, hate the GPU and massive heat transfer that has to go on for the fan to not be on. I definitely will want a MBP soon, because as great as the form factor is, the 1024 x 768 resolution is dead to me. Also, so a GPU's with less than 128 MB of VRAM
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2008, 05:53 PM

My 1.67 GHz 15" PB is still going strong - the display aside. A connection between the Logic Board and the display went bad about 10 months ago, and since I unfortunately didn't buy AppleCare, it would have cost over $1,000 to get it replaced. So I spent around $400 back then, and got a Samsung 19" LCD display.

Right now I'm using my PB with the display, and external keyboard and mouse, and an external HDD (soon to be two! ). 10.5 definitely made it noticeably faster. Some things are getting a tiny *tiny* bit slow, but it's still going strong!

I will be getting a MB sometime in the next couple of weeks however - I'll be overseas for three months, and will need a laptop which has a working screen while I'm away. But I'll keep my PB around as a psudeo-desktop until it dies.

Only thing I'm a tiny tiny hesitant about is going from a 15" and 19" matte display down to a 13.3" glossy display. Anyone have any thoughts?
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2008, 02:48 PM

I still use my trusty PowerBook G4 HR-SD, but I use my new iMac 24" as my daily computer though.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Atheist
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2008, 03:14 PM

Still use my 17" 1.5Ghz G4 when I travel for work but the display quit on me recently so I'm probably going to get a new 17" MBP sometime in the near future. I like how they have the 1920 x 1200 screens. I'm a pixel junkie! The more the merrier.

jonswan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2008, 08:40 PM

I use my ALU iMac most of the time, but for traveling I take my Powerbook 12 inch G4 1.0 with a recent new battery. Runs like a dream though Leopard is significantly slower than Tiger + the battery doesn't last as long. I would change it immediately if a 12 inch MBP came out next week....

nikku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2008, 05:41 AM

Powerbook G4 Titanium / 400MHz / 1GB Ram / 10GB HD
Running 10.3 – hard drive won't handle anymore... Logic Board went – had it replaced. CD drive went – had it replaced. Screen went – running off a second monitor. Option key fell off so switched with the right hand option key. 'C' key works intermittently. Still running after 7 years... just.

Time to upgrade anyone!?

Glenn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2008, 06:22 AM

I'm using a maxxed out last revision 12" PB. Before this, I used as 12" iBook, 10.5" PB 2400, and 9.5" PB 520. I fortunately have the resources to buy any machine I desire, but have been obviously committed to the small but full function form factor (so not a subnotebook or MBA). I've been patiently awaiting a 12" MB, but it just doesn't look like it's going to happen. I really need to upgrade, so I think I'm going to relent and pull the trigger on a new 13" MB that was released yesterday. It will be sad to buy my first Mac (loyal since 1985) with a built-in regret that I really wanted something else.

tridentinecanon
Feb 27, 2008, 10:45 AM

15" 1.67 GHz w/ 1 1/2 GB RAM.

My wife uses it now since I purchased my 17" MBP towards the end of last year.

tridentinecanon
Feb 27, 2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I fortunately have the resources to buy any machine I desire...
You wouldn't happen to also have the resources to buy me any machine that I desire, would you?

Madrag
Senior User
Feb 27, 2008, 02:31 PM

I still use my powerbook G4 500Mhz everyday
It's still a valid 7 year old machine
I'm getting a MBP, but this will carry on, I'm lending it to my brother...

alpha_male
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2008, 03:46 PM

Until 2 weeks ago, I was using a 1ghz Titanium PowerBook G4 that I purchased new in January 2003. I would have used it for a few more years, but things started to break after 5 years of continuous everyday use. Several months ago, the Superdrive died on me. After that, the LCD started giving me intermittent problems, sometimes going completely black, then popping back on.

This computer, along with my Palm Treo 650, ran my entire life. I used the PowerBook for everything from running my business to fun at home (email, website design, iTunes, Quickbooks, Quicken, MS Office, lectures / presentations with Keynote, Skype, organizing research with Devonthink and Sente, graphics and photos, even watching DVD's and playing a few older games). At home it served as a media center, hooked to a 24" LCD and Bose Companion 5 speaker system in my bedroom and wireless music beamed throughout the house using iTunes and airport express. This was the best computer I have ever owned. I definitely got my money's worth.

When I looked into the price of a new LCD and Superdrive, it didn't make sense. Instead, I recently upgraded to a refurbished 17" MacBook Pro. While the MBP is certainly faster, this is the first time I have bought a computer not because of want, but because of need. I can not go without a machine for one day, due to running a business.

That being said, I plan to keep the Titanium G4 and fix it if I can find some quality used parts for a decent price. I would have continued to use it as my primary machine for several more years. It did everything I required. We still have a Pismo upgraded with a 550mhz G4 used for web surfing and email.

kretara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2008, 03:52 PM

I just sold my 1.25ghz 15" Powerbook. So, I will be making due with a 500mhz iBook until I get so sick of it that I will have to buy an Intel MB(P).

kevin56
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2008, 04:01 PM

I have a pb g4 1.67 17". But im just learning about the stuff i can do with it and i know i know barely anything cause im new to the mac world but so far im lovin it.
If anybody would like to give some hints and some cool things i can do with it i would really appreciate it. Im into games so if somebody could help me how to play some cool 360 games like halo or other cool games that would be great. Send me a private message if someone would like to help me

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2008, 12:24 PM

I still have a Pismo 400.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2008, 08:25 PM

I have 1.5 Ghz 17" and 2.4 Ghz MBP. The MBP is faster but the 17" does stuff the MBP can't. It will share the internet with my iPod touch where as the MBP can't.

Forum Links
Forum Rules