Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Koss SB/49 headphone's mic not seen by MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 GHz 10.5.2

Koss SB/49 headphone's mic not seen by MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 GHz 10.5.2
Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2008, 01:20 PM

I'm setting up a new work computer today, and the CEO strolled by and tossed me a pair of Koss SB/49 headphones with built-in boom microphone. So I plug one into audio out, the other into, well, you know.

Audio out works as expected for headphones. Audio in, however, doesn't seem to "see" me plugging or unplugging; System Preferences always shows a line "Line In - Audio line-In port". The input level is always nothing. I've played with the input level slider; no joy.

The audio in plug looks as though it's a stereo plug (even though there's only a single boom mic). Does the MBP expect a mono plug? Is this the problem?

Help, as always, gratefully accepted.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Since EBCDIC  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2008, 05:02 PM

Okay, okay, it seems that the headphone's audio out plug needs to go into a USB dongle.

That isn't intuitively obvious. Grrrrrr.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

jogi
May 10, 2008, 06:48 AM

The mic in plug is not mic in but audio in, i.e. it needs amplified current not provided by a microphone.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2008, 02:39 PM

As you correctly noted in your first post, it's a "line in" port not a "mic in" port. It needs a line level signal, not the signal from a microphone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules