Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do I remove Safari from one account but not any others?

How do I remove Safari from one account but not any others?
MarioM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2010, 06:04 PM

I'm not new to Macs, but I am new to multiple accounts on one computer, so forgive me if this question is too elementary, but I can't find an answer for it.

I'm running OS 10.4.11 on a Mac Mini. I have two accounts, call them A and B. When I try to trash Safari on account B, it takes it away from account A as well. How do I trash it on account B, but keep it on account A?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2010, 06:46 PM

Remove Safari from the Applications folder. Create a new Applications folder in your home directory and install Safari there.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2010, 07:29 PM

No need to reinstall it, just move it.
Vandelay Industries

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2010, 08:22 PM

Why would you want to do that, though?

You could also change the privileges (in File -> Get Info) to only allow your user access.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MarioM  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2010, 12:20 AM

rjenkinson and Art Vandelay: It worked. Thanks. I moved Safari to another folder and was able to trash it in the account where I didn't want it.

Big Mac: The reason I wanted Safari gone was that I wanted an account that just had my word processor so I could write without any distractions like email, internet, etc. It's a mind game, what can I say...

-Q-
Oct 28, 2010, 10:28 AM

A bit OT, but I've found Omm Writer a good tool for minimizing distractions while writing. It provides a nice minimalistic interface that takes over your whole screen so you can focus on writing.

MarioM  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2010, 01:37 PM

Thanks -Q-. Looks interesting. I currently use Nisus Writer Express, which has a feature that allows you to fill up the entire screen. I love it.

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2010, 10:37 PM

Note that moving the built-in apps is a very bad idea, and there is a good chance of things going horribly wrong when you update the system.

A much better solution would be to enable parental controls on the second user, and then set the settings to use simple finder and control the apps available to that user. Very easy and very slick.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 24, 2010, 04:33 PM

I second larkost's suggestion. I was actually going to suggest it but he/she beat me to it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules