Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Your Religion

View Poll Results: What faith do you profess (I know agnoticsm and atheism are not faiths)
Poll Options:
Athiest 29 votes (25.22%)
Agnostist 21 votes (18.26%)
Christian (any denomination) 37 votes (32.17%)
Muslim 2 votes (1.74%)
Judaist 4 votes (3.48%)
Mormon 3 votes (2.61%)
Bhuddist 4 votes (3.48%)
Hinduist 4 votes (3.48%)
Indigenous 0 votes (0%)
Other 11 votes (9.57%)
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll
Your Religion
undotwa
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 07:02 AM

Here is a little poll asking what religion you are in.
In vino veritas.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2003, 07:32 AM

this topic has Lounge written all over it.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 08:40 AM

Move to the lounge please. I'm interested in the responses! I voted Atheist btw.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2003, 09:59 AM

Muslim

And before anyone asks, here you go: My sig is the bismillah verse that says "In the name of Allah, the Most Merciful, the Most Kind."

This probably means that I'll be red flagged if I ever fly to the States(and the fact that I would ask for halal food)

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2003, 10:11 AM

Today, I'm mostly agnostic.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2003, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Logic:
Muslim

And before anyone asks, here you go: My sig is the bismillah verse that says "In the name of Allah, the Most Merciful, the Most Kind."

This probably means that I'll be red flagged if I ever fly to the States(and the fact that I would ask for halal food)
You probably will, which is sad to say of the US these days. When I was in college I had a part time job at an Arbian food restaurant and I learned a lot about Islam, stuff that doesn't get much attention in the media. like the fact women and children cannot be harmed as part of a jihad.

I have attended services at a mosque, a synagogue and a catholic chuch and its amazing how much the three religions have in common, far more than their differences.

That said, my religion is "I belive in God but everything else is up for grabs". I have prophets from several religions on my list of people I admire, including Buddha and Mohammed.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2003, 11:42 AM

You should have made them checkboxes instead of radio buttons, as they're not all mutually exclusive. For example, it is possible to be Buddhist and still be any of those other things. There is nothing in Buddhism that says you can't also be a Christian, and there is no part of Buddhism that would be in conflict with Christianity. I chose Buddhism, but atheism also applies to me. Of course, this gets into the whole issue of whether or not Buddhism is a religion, which I would say it is not (most forms of it anyway), but then, neither would I say that atheism is a religion (again, most forms of it).

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2003, 11:47 AM

Have you ever heard of the greatest religion ever founded??????
I speak of the Church of the Subgenius.
Praise BoB!!!!!!
Only $30.00 for 'Eternal Salvation' or tripple your money back.
I ask you to find a better return for your money
For TRUE Enlightenment Church of the SubGenius

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2003, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
You probably will, which is sad to say of the US these days. When I was in college I had a part time job at an Arbian food restaurant and I learned a lot about Islam, stuff that doesn't get much attention in the media. like the fact women and children cannot be harmed as part of a jihad.

I have attended services at a mosque, a synagogue and a catholic chuch and its amazing how much the three religions have in common, far more than their differences.

That said, my religion is "I belive in God but everything else is up for grabs". I have prophets from several religions on my list of people I admire, including Buddha and Mohammed.
True, it is sad that I can expect to be on some list of "unwanted" people because I like this and that religion. It reminds me of the story my grandfather told me about when he wasn't allowed to enter the US when he was on the convoys in WWII because his mother(IIRC) was in the communist party on Iceland. That meant he had to wait onboard the ship when in US harbours. That was at the same time my other grandfather was stuck in Russia because of the russian winter

And you are also correct that these three religions have alot in common, but it all depends on what religion you talk to how much the respect the others. That was one of the parts I liked about islam, it is very tolerant of the other religions and in fact say they are important as well. But the basics are the same. The things we most often connect with islam has in fact very little to do with the religion and more to do with old customs. And it is sad that we get this picture of islam we see today in the news, media and other places. Just sad.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 12:15 PM

I replied Agnostic, but I was raised Roman Catholic.

xtal
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:

Along these lines, a great book I just finished is:

Honeymoon in Purdah
Alison Wearing
Review: http://www.januarymagazine.com/nonfi...neymoonin.html

It's a travel memoir of one woman's journey through Iran, and some of the experiences and people she has therein. It's an easy read, but enjoyable. Worth picking up, it makes me want to travel through Iran one day.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 04:38 PM

Just wanted to point out that Mormon is actually "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" and it is a Christian Denomiation. In case anyone was wondering. So its sort of cumbersome to say: Are you a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints?, so you can say Mormon, or Latter-Day-Saint, or LDS (this is the most common within the church)

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 05:44 PM

I wonder what other religion means?

I'm a Christian, born again, member of 4 C's!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Swiss Bob
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2003, 05:51 PM

Christian - Protestant / Pentecostal mix. With a nod to the Buddha.

boardsurfer
May 2, 2003, 05:54 PM

LDS - but you knew that.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
Just wanted to point out that Mormon is actually "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" and it is a Christian Denomiation. In case anyone was wondering. So its sort of cumbersome to say: Are you a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints?, so you can say Mormon, or Latter-Day-Saint, or LDS (this is the most common within the church)
Umm, sort of.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 06:04 PM

Muslim

"In the name of Allah, the Most Merciful, the Most Kind."
See, I just don't get how people can manipulate this stuff into calling for terrorist acts.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
May 2, 2003, 06:06 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 10, 2004 at 11:24 AM. )

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 06:09 PM

LDS are the only denomination that I know of that thinks they're a denomination, the rest of us just point out that they're a cult

malvolio
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
I wonder what other religion means?
Various flavors of Paganism, Raelian (and other "flying saucer" religions), Sikhism, etc., etc.
George Carlin: "Timothy Leary's brother, Really Leary, has started a new religion which teaches that when you die, your soul goes to a garage in Buffalo."
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
LDS are the only denomination that I know of that thinks they're a denomination, the rest of us just point out that they're a cult
Smile when you say that. That "cult" could buy just about any other denomination on Earth and pay in cash.

Seriously, though. Once you've got millions of members in hundreds of countries, you're officially beyond "cult" status.

Oh yeah, they just might have more Senators than you too.

Be nice to the Mormons. At the rate they're going, they could be running the place before you know it.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 06:19 PM

My God is still in print... infact He's the best selling author of all time.

malvolio
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
Seriously, though. Once you've got millions of members in hundreds of countries, you're officially beyond "cult" status.
Anybody remember the episode of Fernwood Tonight where this couple wanted their son deprogrammed because he wanted to join the Catholic priesthood?
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
Anybody remember the episode of Fernwood Tonight where this couple wanted their son deprogrammed because he wanted to join the Catholic priesthood?
LOL, very funny.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

ObiWan Flanders
Forum Regular
May 2, 2003, 06:33 PM

Shakespeare?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 06:39 PM

No the bible I believe is the best selling book of all time isn't it?

And cult is not limited to the size of your group, although technically according to my sister they would not be a cult but rather a sect. Either way no Christian denom to my knowlege would ever call LDS a christian sect, they've got far to many differences.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 06:44 PM

Sect:

1) A group of people forming a distinct unit within a larger group by virtue of certain refinements or distinctions of belief or practice.

2) A religious body, especially one that has separated from a larger denomination.

3) A faction united by common interests or beliefs.

All denominations are sects.

madsenj37
May 2, 2003, 06:55 PM

Agnostic all the way. Anyone who can prove that (a) God either exists or doesnt should win some kind of prize. There is too much contradictory evidence for me to even pretend I know the answer.
- Joel

Anomalous
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 07:14 PM

"Judaist"? I thought the word was "Jew"... Anyway, yep, that's me.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2003, 07:19 PM

Ooh, another Buddhist, who is it?

Was Buddhist misspelled like that before?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 07:32 PM

How about none or N/A?

willed
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 08:43 PM

I think today I'm agnostic, although I'm often Catholic. i made the mistake of studying theology at Oxford. There's way more to it than they teach you at Sunday school superchicken, trust me. I wish I could have a faith as simple as yours.

undotwa  (op)
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by madsenj37:
Agnostic all the way. Anyone who can prove that (a) God either exists or doesnt should win some kind of prize. There is too much contradictory evidence for me to even pretend I know the answer.
I think thats a good position to take.
In vino veritas.

undotwa  (op)
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by willed:
I think today I'm agnostic, although I'm often Catholic. i made the mistake of studying theology at Oxford. There's way more to it than they teach you at Sunday school superchicken, trust me. I wish I could have a faith as simple as yours.
I think an advantage of the Catholic faith is that they really leave you to speculate the nature of God, how he intervenes with humanity etc.

All you have to believe in this creed
In vino veritas.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by ObiWan Flanders:
Shakespeare?
The last I heard he wasn't considered a god!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 10:06 PM

The Bible was not written by "God."

boardsurfer
May 2, 2003, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by wallinbl:
Umm, sort of.
what do you mean by that? his reply was pretty good to me.

edit: you were referring to his comment about being christians huh?

Il Duce
Forum Regular
May 2, 2003, 11:45 PM

You forgot Jedi
The Duke

coolmacdude
Senior User
May 3, 2003, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
The Bible was not written by "God."
True, it was transcribed by ordinary peolpe, but it was inspired by God. Basically God revealed to the writers what to write.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 02:05 AM

Umm, sort of.
So if you define Christian as an apostate break off of Catholic, I guess you can believe whatever you want -- but if you define Christian as someone who believes that Jesus Christ is the literal Son of God, Savior of the World, without Whom we are all eternally damned, and through his grace we can be saved, then yes, Mormons are Christian.

I guess its a semantics problem.

Also its not a cult any more than Catholic or Protestant churches are a cult. 11 million members around the world, thats a decent sized organization. I know its not even close to the number of Catholics, etc, but I think its a respectable size. (of course we know that size doesn't matter)

http://www.adherents.com/adh_branches.html#Christianity

Couldn't find anything about the LDS church being a cult here. Hmm. I'll have to keep looking.
( Last edited by DeathMan; May 3, 2003 at 02:11 AM. )

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2003, 02:19 AM

wheres the "i like to sleep in on sundays and dont care" option?

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

deekay1
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 02:47 AM

okay...

a) it's judaism and not judaist, agnosticism not agnostist, hinduism not hinduist!
b) atheism and agnosticism, by definition, are NOT religions!
c) the religion is spelled: buddhism

and most importantly you forgot

d) hedonism, the "religion" (more of a philosophy) of my choice.

(oh, and you also forgot satanism, but who cares?! )

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

dillerX
Professional Poster
May 3, 2003, 06:39 AM

Is ass kicking a religion?
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

undotwa  (op)
Professional Poster
May 3, 2003, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
wheres the "i like to sleep in on sundays and dont care" option?
That goes under Agnostic I think
In vino veritas.

undotwa  (op)
Professional Poster
May 3, 2003, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by deekay1:
okay...

a) it's judaism and not judaist, agnosticism not agnostist, hinduism not hinduist!
b) atheism and agnosticism, by definition, are NOT religions!
c) the religion is spelled: buddhism

and most importantly you forgot

d) hedonism, the "religion" (more of a philosophy) of my choice.

(oh, and you also forgot satanism, but who cares?! )
You could see there is a general trend in the polling questions to use the adjective. You're right however, I should of used nouns.
In vino veritas.

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2003, 07:26 AM

Muslim here

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2003, 07:58 AM

See, I just don't get how people can manipulate this stuff into calling for terrorist acts.
Me neither. But it isn't an all muslim thing to twist the words so it suits our views, all religions have done it and are still doing it.

But I have yet to see how OBL can twist the Quran in the way he has

Cipher13
May 3, 2003, 08:05 AM

Me neither. But it isn't an all muslim thing to twist the words so it suits our views, all religions have done it and are still doing it.

But I have yet to see how OBL can twist the Quran in the way he has
Most of his supporters probably can't read the damn thing, and thus, cannot validify any claims he makes... that, and they're probably all about as intelligent as my shoe.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2003, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Most of his supporters probably can't read the damn thing, and thus, cannot validify any claims he makes... that, and they're probably all about as intelligent as my shoe.

mchladek
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
You should have made them checkboxes instead of radio buttons, as they're not all mutually exclusive. For example, it is possible to be Buddhist and still be any of those other things. There is nothing in Buddhism that says you can't also be a Christian, and there is no part of Buddhism that would be in conflict with Christianity. I chose Buddhism, but atheism also applies to me. Of course, this gets into the whole issue of whether or not Buddhism is a religion, which I would say it is not (most forms of it anyway), but then, neither would I say that atheism is a religion (again, most forms of it).
I was raised Lutheran but have been studying a practicing Buddhism for about two years now and that's what I consider myself as well. I have debated the same thing you have, nonhuman, about whether or not Buddhism is a religion. I think it depends on how you practice it. If you just practice meditation and study the sutta then I woud say you're not really taking it as your religion. But certain aspects of the practice such as taking refuge and taking the precepts would make it a religion. Plus the fact that there is a certain degree of faith associated in Buddhism. You have to have faith that your practice will improve the way you live your life.

Forum Links
Forum Rules