Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Zoom Widget(or lack of)

Zoom Widget(or lack of)
dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2001, 11:43 PM

Am I the only one who's mildly peeved about the behavior of the Green button is OS X(what should be the Zoom widget)? It doesn't really zoom the window anymore(at least in the finder). It just sort of haphazardly resizes it(it sometimes makes it bigger, small, other times it keeps it nearly the same size). This is quite unlike it's function in 9.1 in which it would resize the window as to make all items visible(when possible). Am I missing something or has apple changed this? If so, why? With window resizing being so sluggish it'd be nice to have a usable zoom button. I already sent Apple feedback about this but I'm wondering what everyone else here thinks about it.
Regards,
Dave

Scrod
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2001, 12:04 AM

I don't know about you, but the resize button works exactly the same as it always did, both in the Finder and in other apps that have an OS 9 counterpart.
I abused my signature until she cried.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Aug 3, 2001, 12:57 AM

Scrod, take a closer look in the Finder... put a window in list view, then make the window far too short and far too wide for the list it's containing (it'll probably be like that already). Click the zoom widget. What happens? If it becomes tall and narrow and reveals the entire list (or as much of it as possible given the screen height), I wanna know what version you're using, because on 10.0.0 through 10.0.4 all it does is add a token twenty pixels or so to the bottom of the window. It's not that it NEVER works correctly, it just often does not... another bug I see sometimes is that if you are in icon view, clicking the zoom widget occasionally clips off one too many pixels from the right side of the window, causing icons with long names to get bumped down a row and making the bottom row of icons disappear beneath the bottom edge of the window. Clicking the widget again at that point simply shows the bottom row and takes out the remaining whitespace along the right side where the icons should have been. Highly annoying, well-documented, but I'm sure it would do no harm whatsoever to tell Apple how annoying it is!

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2001, 05:58 AM

The zoom button should toggle between the window's original state and the last user-modified state (i.e. dragging the window with the resize corner). Whether it actually works like that- I can't tell you, as I have a borrowed G4 sans X (my TiBook is at Apple for warranty repairs )

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Aug 3, 2001, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
<STRONG>The zoom button should toggle between the window's original state and the last user-modified state (i.e. dragging the window with the resize corner). Whether it actually works like that- I can't tell you, as I have a borrowed G4 sans X (my TiBook is at Apple for warranty repairs )</STRONG>
Suffice it to say that clicking the zoom widget on a Finder window in standard-issue icon view toggled between four, count 'em, four different window orientations, one of which cut off most of the icons.

kaboom
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2001, 06:14 PM

This has been a problem since 10.0. More often than not, when I click on a FInder window's zoom button it doesn't resize the way it should. It will either clip icons or rearrange icons and then resize to the new arrangement. It's definately not as consistent as OS9's zoom widget.
Unfortunately, things haven't changed in 5f24. But to add to the problem, there is a bug that crashes the Finder when using the zoom widget. If you have a Finder window open in icon view and the icons are larger than the smallest setting, click the zoom widget 4 to 5 times and the Finder crashes. Each click will not only give you a different window size, but it will also rearrange your icons as well.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2001, 06:07 AM

Besides returning to act as in Mac OS 9, the zoom widget should also behave *consistently* when you option-click it: that is, zoom to full screen in *any* "ordinary" window of any application (this behavior isn't even consistent today in Mac OS 9!).

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2001, 12:31 PM

I would like to have the zoom button toggle between the original state and a maximized state- even if it meant option-clicking, but you're right Sven, this doesn't even work consistently in OS 9. Apple seems to be a bit zoom-challenged.

Forum Links
Forum Rules