Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Spike TV's Video Game awards

Spike TV's Video Game awards
CIA
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 10:29 PM

Seemed ok... Untill "Enter the Matrix" won best game based on a movie. Are you kidding???

PJW
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 10:45 PM

How about True Crime getting the best action game of the year? It just seemed like a big, steaming pile of crap to me.

Edit: Well, I guess it can't be all that bad. They gave KOTOR best fantasy game. Still...what's up with all of the rock bands, rappers, and skaters? What the hell does any of that stuff have to do with video games?
( Last edited by PJW; Dec 4, 2003 at 11:06 PM. )
Your services as a citizen, we regret to inform you, are no longer required.

CIA  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 11:22 PM

WWE Smackdown, Best fighting game? Like there aren't enough wrestling games out there for it's own division? What about Soul Calibur II? Can you say sponsor driven?
If they ran it like a normal award show, or made it viewers choice it would be a lot better.
Bummer.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 02:16 AM

Those awards may be a sign I'm getting old. Don't get me wrong, I like boobies & butt as much as the next guy, but all the T&A was more annoying than titilating. Add in all the yelling from the DJ and that little putz David Spade... I turned it off after about 20 minutes.

The VGAs don't have to be as stodgy as the Academy Awards, but maybe they should realize a lot of adults are spending millions on games, too.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2003, 04:55 AM

That was the worst excuse for a show I've ever seen.

We got about 5 minutes of video game footage, and the rest was filled with scenes of head banging, bra-stripping, fo-shizzle talking idiots.

Man, that show was way too commercialized, all sponsor based. This is not what video games were about!

Now if they had somebody playing tetris live like that one guy in japan, or the someone who beats mario in 11 minutes. And what happened to the *real* influential games, the real golden oldies? Like smb3, ninja gaiden, contra, tempest, starfox, shadowrun.. man.

Kids these days don't appreciate their roots.

And wow, I feel like an old geezer. I would much rather have seen a good asteroids session over that inane bra and panties match.
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2003, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by PJW:
Still...what's up with all of the rock bands, rappers, and skaters? What the hell does any of that stuff have to do with video games?
I'll agree it was a complete disaster, but are you seriously asking what Tony Hawk has to do with Video Games?

Anyone see the pre-show, it was actually mildly tolerable. Got a kick out of the earlier videogame retrospectives.

memento
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 10:50 AM

I'm just PO'd because I was looking forward to another hilarious thursday evening of MXC! I really needed a good laugh this week.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2003, 01:49 AM

wtf madden nfl 2004 game of the year? my ass. not with Wind Waker around.

Lando Griffin
Dec 7, 2003, 04:36 AM

CIA posted the following stuff:
Seemed ok... Untill "Enter the Matrix" won best game based on a movie. Are you kidding???
Except for the music, Enter the Matrix was actually a really fun game, especially after beating the tedious sewer level. I really thought it was awful, but then after getting into it it just got more fun.

Anyone remember fighting Trinity as Ghost? Sweeet...
"And in other news, Lando Griffin, a popular student at a local high school, was killed last night when his motorcycle careened off Dead Man's Curve. Police were baffled when no body was found at the scene, but they decided it was best not to ask questions and just let everyone get on with their lives."

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2003, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Lando Griffin:
Enter the Matrix was actually a really fun game...
Never played it, but I heard people complain more about bugs and lack of polish. More disappointing than bad (except for the sewer level).

I didn't play this either, but everyone says The Return of the King kicks some serious hobbit ass.

So the fix is in, obviously, but how exactly does it operate? Why couldn't EA fix it their way?

Forum Links
Forum Rules