Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Canon sucks

Canon sucks
TampaDeveloper
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2004, 11:41 PM

I've been very careful over the last year or so to make sure I only buy things that are Mac compatible because I knew I'd be making the switch eventually. Well, a big one slipped through unnoticed; my $400 Canon MultiPASS F60 printer. It never even occurred to me that a printer might not support the Mac, so I never even bothered to look. I hate wasting money. Hate it.

TampaDeveloper  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2004, 11:42 PM

Oh yeah, and Canon sucks. SUCKS!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 21, 2004, 01:26 AM

Alas -- and this is extremely well-documented -- multifunction units (I won't call them printers, because that's not what they are) are extremely badly supported on the Mac. No manufacturer makes one that functions on the Mac as well as it should, and usually the software doesn't survive operating system upgrades (I don't know why the manufacturers can't write good drivers, but they don't).

I never recommend multifunction units, and this is one reason. (Another is that I strongly dislike keeping all my eggs in one basket. The other is that you never get the best quality -- you do better by buying a separate scanner and printer.)

Canon's printers (that is, devices that only print) are delightful, and very well supported on the Mac. I own one and would recommend the brand without hesitation.

In any case, all hope may not be lost. It's extremely unlikely that the scanner can be coerced into working on the Mac. But the printer half is probably easy to get working using the Gimp-Print drivers included with OS X 10.3.

tooki

TampaDeveloper  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2004, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the tip! Most of the time I've got my HP connected to the mac, so its no big deal. But if I ever go to replace my wife's PC with a mac, the canon will get ebayed.

mbryda
Senior User
Apr 21, 2004, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Canon's printers (that is, devices that only print) are delightful, and very well supported on the Mac. I own one and would recommend the brand without hesitation.
Which I never understood - they make printers and scanners that are Mac compatible, so you would think that it would be easy to make a MFD deriver.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 21, 2004, 07:15 PM

My hunch is that it has something to do with having multiple devices (inside the multi-function device) on one single USB port. Maybe it's difficult to write USB drivers for such a setup, so they only invest the effort on Windows.

tooki

mbryda
Senior User
Apr 21, 2004, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
My hunch is that it has something to do with having multiple devices (inside the multi-function device) on one single USB port. Maybe it's difficult to write USB drivers for such a setup, so they only invest the effort on Windows.

tooki
That could very well be. But, if done correctly (I don't program), I wouldn't think it would be that hard. I know that my old Epson Stylus 875DC had a card reader and was a printer. It instaled as a USB Hub with 2 devices, the printer as 1 and the card reader as the other. I would think it would be easy to write or modify drivers for that sort of setup. But, I know nothing of programming.

Oh Well, I'll just stick to their excellent printers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules