Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > IOGear MiniView ADC KVM Switch problem

IOGear MiniView ADC KVM Switch problem
Dougmc
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2004, 02:26 PM

I've got two Macs sharing an Apple 21" Cinema display via the IOGear MiniView ADC KVM switch.

The problem that I'm having is when there's a power outage (which seems more frequent during this stormy time of year) the two machines restart themselves as they should, however, whichever machine isn't currently connected to the monitor via the KVM switch won't see the monitor when I switch to that machine�all I get is a blank screen.

If I restart that machine, it will show up. Ideally I won't have to restart this machine in order to make this work.

Any ideas?
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2004, 02:57 PM

I'm guessing that when both machines start back up, they are trying to get a signal from the monitor, but only one of them will be successful, and thus why you have to restart one of your machines.

I highly recommend getting an uninterrupted power suppy (UPS) so that they don't go offline at all. The computer can take being knocked off now and then, but your chances of having hardware failure or data loss will come sooner than later. If you keep an eye out you can find them on sale for as low as $10-20. They keep ONE computer up for 10-15 mins, but you can easily tailor the software so that you tell both computers to shut down ASAP.

An alternative may be to try disabling one of the machines fromrestarting automatically after power failure (in the energy saver menu)and have it manually boot it up after the first system is done starting up. Maybe this will clear up the computer not detecting a display.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2004, 09:22 AM

APC 500VA Backup for $30

http://slickdeals.net/#p4950
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

Forum Links
Forum Rules