Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Im Gay

Im Gay (Page 2)
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2005, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
American tourists can be painfully ignorant and boorish. It was a pretty common occurance when I was growing up in Europe to run into Americans travelling abroad and be overcome with shame after conversing with them.

But having worked in national parks in the US, I can honestly say that tourists from every country tend to be the worst possible cultural ambassadors.

Quite often the people who can travel are precisely the people who shouldn't. The elitist in me likes to think that some kind of tourists screening process would go a great long way towards promoting world peace by preventing every nation from sending its worst stereotypes abroad.
Bingo... saying Americans are worse then any other country is simply silly, but not a surprise coming from the original poster.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 6, 2005, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Bingo... saying Americans are worse then any other country is simply silly, but not a surprise coming from the original poster.
I suppose the reason American tourists have more of a reputation for being airheads is that there are simply more of them. As far as I know, Americans are the biggest group of tourists in the world - you'd have to compare them to European or Asian tourists, rather than tourists from any particular European or Asian country to get equal numbers.

Joshua
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 04:20 PM

I live right between two of the bigger tourist attractions in Chicago, and I can assure you that the European and Canadian tourists I encounter every day are no less obnoxious, demanding, and ignorant than the Americans you're complaining about.

The only difference I see is that Americans don't sit around whining about your tourists. That's pretty amazing, considering how ignorant and xenophobic we Americans are, right?
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2005, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
They might be worse. I wasn't trying to disprove that notion. I was just pointing out that American's don't have a monopoly on the practice of granting tourist visas to precisely the kind of people that are least likely to engender international brotherhood.

If I had to pick the country that has the worst tourists from my own experience, I'm sad to say it would probably be Israel. I've encountered Israeli tour groups in 3 countries on 2 continents and I am sad to report that they were so blindingly horrific as to stun and shock those who came in contact with them. I've actually seen (on more than one occassion) an Israeli tourist stand up in a restaurant, throw things and scream at the waiter.

I've never travelled to Israel but I find it impossible to believe that the tourists I encountered were indicative of the general population of the country. Just doesn't seem possible to me.

American tourists tend to be loud and boorish which attracts more negative attention than some others. That's probably why they have such a bad reputation.

It seems to be a kind of nationalism. When suddenly isolated in a foreign place, certain people suddenly feel compelled to assert their cultural identity in very negative ways.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 6, 2005, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
American tourists tend to be loud and boorish which attracts more negative attention than some others. That's probably why they have such a bad reputation.
In my experience, they also for some reason tend to wear atrociously loud and colourful clothes, something which does its fair share of attracting attention to them as well.

Perhaps it's because I come from a country where voicing any dissatisfaction is seen as very poor style, and being loud in any way is generally frowned upon (slight exaggeration, but basically true), combined with the fact that, as stated above, Americans are the largest group of tourists in pretty much all the places I've been to, but Americans always seem to be the first ones to complain if something about their trip doesn't live up to their demands/expectations. I'm not saying they're screaming and shouting (some do of course, but not by far all), but they seem to always be the first to go up to their tour guide and make the guide aware that there is something they are dissatisfied with, whether they do this in a civil manner or not.

It seems to be a kind of nationalism. When suddenly isolated in a foreign place, certain people suddenly feel compelled to assert their cultural identity in very negative ways.
Very well put.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 04:40 PM

No beaver you say? F*ck that!

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2005, 05:06 PM

What is that funny show called where that guy goes to the US and tell them things like "Canada just made staplers legal" and the Americans being interviewed say "Congratulations, you'll find them handy" etc.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
What is that funny show called where that guy goes to the US and tell them things like "Canada just made staplers legal" and the Americans being interviewed say "Congratulations, you'll find them handy" etc.
"This hour has 22 minutes"

It is actually targeted at making fun of Canadians %90 of the time.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 6, 2005, 07:25 PM

A "tourist" is a scourge on wherever he travels, as he is the worst of his countrymen. A "visitor" is a nice person to have around because he attempts to do everything that the tourist wants done for him. A visitor at least tries to use some of the local language; a tourist speaks his own language LOUDER. A visitor notes the cultural differences between his home and where he visits; a tourist complains that he can't do/watch/see/eat what he would back home.

I live near SeaWorld of San Antonio. You want to see TOURISTS? Holy Cow! Tourists from everywhere! And boy are they tourists!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

JohnSmithXTREME
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2005, 07:42 PM

Is anyone else here tired of hearing about bloody Canada? Canadians are so lame, mainly because they are part of the Commonwealth so they are keenly aware of their inferiority to the English. Americans, as loud and obnoxious as they may be, at least are confident about their nationality. It looks as though Canadians can only express their nationality using negative comparisons with US. Americans might be dogs compared to Europeans, but Canadians are like the feeble, sickly rats that nibble at the dog's tale while it is asleep. [just kidding, canada, you know I love skiing on your beautiful white piste at whistler]

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by JohnSmithXTREME:
Is anyone else here tired of hearing about bloody Canada? Canadians are so lame, mainly because they are part of the Commonwealth so they are keenly aware of their inferiority to the English. Americans, as loud and obnoxious as they may be, at least are confident about their nationality. It looks as though Canadians can only express their nationality using negative comparisons with US. Americans might be dogs compared to Europeans, but Canadians are like the feeble, sickly rats that nibble at the dog's tale while it is asleep. [just kidding, canada, you know I love skiing on your beautiful white piste at whistler]

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2005, 08:31 PM

As an American who's lived deep in the southwest U.S. for 30 years and then in Detroit just across the river from Canada for the last 5 years, I admit that I know next-to-nothing about Canada or even that there's really anything to know. I am superintelligent and have several college degrees which may have expanded my brain to the point that I assume that Canada is very much like the U.S. but who knows... it could be very different. I would however submit that asking about its differences is a sign of intelligence, not stupidity. Regardless, I can assure you that schools here teach NOTHING about canada or really any other country except what Germany and Japan were like during the early 40's. Do your schools in your countries teach you about the United States or do you just pick up a lot by watching our sitcoms?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 6, 2005, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
As an American who's lived deep in the southwest U.S. for 30 years and then in Detroit just across the river from Canada for the last 5 years, ...
I went in the opposite direction. I grew up south of Detroit. Normal TV included the "big three" broadcast networks and the CBC.

I've lived in Mississippi, Texas, and a couple places in Central America since then, making Central Texas home.

What is it about Canada? Canada is indeed much like the U.S., but different enough that an American often has to do a double-take to actually see what he's looking at. The last time I visited Windsor, Ontario from Michigan, I was taking my then-new wife for her first trip to Canada. She was struck as much by the overall cleanliness of Windsor as she was by her first experience with bilingual signs everywhere. Everything else is very familiar, with just enough of a difference to feel odd. Speed limit signs are different, and not just because they're in kph-that sort of thing.

Yes, there is QUITE A LOT to know about Canada. And I think it's worthwhile.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 6, 2005, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by kemuri:
OYou are riight in that all nations have a certain number of dense folk, but I'm pretty content in thinking that the US holds a higher number than anywhere else.
I am sure you are content. Most people are content to believe what they want regardless of the truth.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 6, 2005, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by analogika:
As in, the prettier, dieting version, yes?
If it's anything like the last time I was there, I would say no.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 6, 2005, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by roberto blanco:

James L
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by JohnSmithXTREME:

Well, your whole post before "just kidding" was a waste of time to read, but I commend you on your excellent taste in ski hills! I just came down off the mountain this weekend actually.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2005, 11:48 PM

Who is this "Im Gay" person?
Why are people from Canada called "Canadians"? Why aren't they "Canadans"?

Actually, I "lived" in Canada for about four months. It's a nice place. [Insert Joe Canada commercial]

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Forum Links
Forum Rules