Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What do you do for a living and how did you get your 1st job?

What do you do for a living and how did you get your 1st job? (Page 2)
Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2005, 04:07 PM

Graduated with a degree in Computer Engineering from the Univ. of Florida (go gators).

First job out of school (started a few months ago) as a Software Engineer for a major defense contractor.

Very interesting, challenging work, making a difference, etc. They pay me enough to fund my new apple addiction, which is a big plus.
( Last edited by Garage81; Mar 8, 2005 at 11:43 AM. )

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Mar 4, 2005, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
That's actually a line of work that I considered for a very short period of time. My HS psch profile revealed a certain "moral flexibility" that would make me ideal for that type of work.

Right out of HS I went to a comm college and received an AS in computer science. Within 2 years I changed my mind and went back to school, last year I received my PhD in Theology. Currently I'm an associate professor of Theology and Comp Rel at a private university. Also, I'm a published writer and do translation work on the side.
Uhm. I was just kidding. Not much 'moral flexibility' on this side of the keyboard. Well, let's just say, I value the life of others alot.

I graduated with a degree I don't even use, like most I would guess, and now I have my own company... it's the customers that elude me.

PhD in Theology? Ass. Prof.? Cool.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2005, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by budster101:
Uhm. I was just kidding. Not much 'moral flexibility' on this side of the keyboard. Well, let's just say, I value the life of others alot.
It was just a joke. I was making reference to the movie Grosse Point Blank.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Mar 4, 2005, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
It was just a joke. I was making reference to the movie Grosse Point Blank.
Cool. Just saw it along with "Pulp Fiction"

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2005, 09:15 PM

I think this P/T job is considered as my 1st job. I got it after completing my Sumemr Internship program. However, I'm going to quit after I'm done with this quarter since they don't have a F/T position. as you may know, I'm gonna graduate by next week.

kemuri
Mar 7, 2005, 09:40 PM

I'm one of the hated ones - a lawyer. To be precise, these days I dwell in matters pertaining to international law. So that, hopefully, has a redeeming factor to it.
Will you be voting in liars and murderers come May 5th? The US screwed up by voting in their very own little genocidal maniac. Will you? If Labour's own members are in disarray about the Iraq war, what does that tell you?

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2005, 09:54 PM

"what do you do for a living?"

I work at/for my dad's store, and webmaster the company website. (can "webmaster" be used as a verb like that?)

"how did you get your first job?"

See previous question.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 7, 2005, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
(can "webmaster" be used as a verb like that?)
You just did, so I guess it can. However, you must only use this power for good. As Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes) observed, "Verbing weirds language." Go carefully...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

sworthy  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2005, 11:00 PM

Update: I just applied for a 'market intelligence' position at an financial company. I almost hope I don't get the job because I'd have to work "market hours" i.e. 4am to 3pm here on the west coast. Now that would be a tough transition out of college. If I get it though, I might just go for it *shudder*

Sealobo
Mar 8, 2005, 02:21 AM

19 - intern, investment bank based Taiwan, equity capital markets.

(B.A. Economics, University of Toronto)

22 - trainee, trading company based Hong Kong, electronic components.

24 - assistant, private bank based Zurich, credit.

t.b.c.

jnrjr79
Mar 8, 2005, 04:11 AM

Originally posted by kemuri:
I'm one of the hated ones - a lawyer. To be precise, these days I dwell in matters pertaining to international law. So that, hopefully, has a redeeming factor to it.
How did you break into the field? I'm graduating from law school this May with a specialization in international law and I'm wondering about where to go from here. I've had a lot of academic international law experience and am wondering occupationally what to do. I may take the foreign service exam in a year or so. Anyhow, I'd be interested to hear what you do in the field and how you got your start.
iMac G5: 1.8 GHz, 20'', 250 GB, 1280 RAM, APX, BT
iBook G3: 700 MHz, 12'', 30 GB, 640 RAM, AP
iPod 2G 20GB
iPod Shuffle 512 MB

PB2K
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 05:22 AM

i work at a major software publisher, doing callcenter work 40 hours a week for 1645 euro's a month, (when you pay monkeys you give them peanuts, as they say )

i was offered a 1/2 year contract that i will decline. because i also have another contract as a Mac systems-engineer that will start in a few weeks ; less work, far better pay, more holidays and it's closer to where i live. happy me
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2005, 07:29 AM

what do I do for a living: I am a Zoneintegrator for the A380-FAF DMU team (AIRBUS CIMPA GmbH)

how did I get my 1st job: I applied for it (the first "real" job after I finished university)

more info:
I studied civil engineering but only worked as one for about 3 months.
After that I worked for a small software company as a one-man-support-team for about 2 years, followed by the job mentioned above.
In the years of school and university I did lots of different jobs - actually too many to remember and post here! This included dishwasher in a restaurant; Toys 'R us; Siemens; Osram; Tony Stone Images; several constructing companies; a job for a pathologist; SGI ...

Joshua
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 10:16 AM

In high school I worked at an office doing typical lackey jobs (making copies, filing, etc.), and in college I worked as a web designer (freelance and for the college).

Right now I'm a second year law student. I work as a law clerk for an organization that drafts uniform state laws. I got the job the usual way: I heard there was an opening, sent my resume, and interviewed.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 04:53 PM

What I do: I am a QA software Engineer Intern for a software company based in Boston. I am kinda hoping I can start moving into development this summer when I go back to fulltime instead of now where I just work from my dorm room and only go into the office during my term breaks from WPI. I have been here for about 10 months.

How I got it: My brother worked for the company so i heard about the opening. I then interviewed with the VP of engineering and got it. (both don't work here anymore)

Future: Not sure yet, if I get a raise this summer, I would consider staying at my current job. Otherwise, I might have to look at some other possibilities that have seemed to open up recently.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2005, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Am I the only one who finds this hilarious?
Seconded.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2005, 06:19 PM

What do you do for a living
Making money.

and how did you get your 1st job?
Applying for a job

-t

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2005, 07:11 PM

16 - family business (grocery store)
19 - POW/ paid in food and water
20 - Elen Betrix cosmetics, cleaner
22 - various temp jobs
Currently - BS in Multimedia Communications, Project Manager for Museum IT

songoku912
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2005, 02:10 PM

18- Field Sales Rep for Marketsource with the HP contract. This was my first real job. I was on the phone with my gf at the time, and the recruiter called after seeing my resume on monster.com.

21- Graduated college with a BBA in Information Systems. Went on to land an analyst position with Accenture.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 9, 2005, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by zwiebel_:
19 - POW/ paid in food and water
WOW! THAT ONE sounds like something I'd like to hear about! Not always the easiest position go come by, and one of the few it's good to be discharged from.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2005, 05:17 PM

My primary job is network administrator for a large oil company. I've been there eight years, and unfortunately will be getting laid off later this year (offshoring).

My secondary job is editor for a website (see sig), which I enjoy doing.

The first job I ever had was being a sacker at a grocery store. I got it by walking in and talking to the manager. I actually worked there for almost four years, moving up to checker, courtesy booth, and then evening front-end manager.

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2005, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by ghporter:
WOW! THAT ONE sounds like something I'd like to hear about! Not always the easiest position go come by, and one of the few it's good to be discharged from.
... I thought people would just glance over it. Suffice to say, it was not a pretty time being treated like an animal (put mildly). After six months I managed to escape and since live with PTSD. The people responsible have since been put in prison and some were 'MIA' during the war.

kellybelly
Mar 9, 2005, 08:39 PM

I got my first job when I was 15, at the Six Flags theme park nearby. I worked there for one partial summer and three spring-fall seasons. Pretty much everyone who lives in this area ends up working for Six Flags, at least for a bit. It's one of the only places that hires you when you're 15, and nobody can complain about free admission to the park.

When I left that job at 18 I got a job at a pet store. I worked there for a year until I got a part-time job with a cell phone provider. They were recruiting at my school at a job fair. I worked part-time until I was 20 and got my Associates degree in Electrical Engineering. I then went full time, earned my Bachelors degree a year later, and am still working for the company seven years later as a Network Engineer.
kellybelly.net
12" Powerbook G4 Rev. C | 1.33GHz | 768Mb RAM | superdrive
5G 60GB iPod (black) | 3G 40GB iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules