Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Video + photo transfer accessory

iPod Video + photo transfer accessory
Stingrey
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2005, 10:08 PM

One of the "features" or "reasons" to buy this thing per Apple's own description involves something along the line of "leave your memory cards at home, but the adapter and copy all your photos to this instead"... If ANYONE gets one of these in and can test out the transfer speed (I hear it is terrible on the old iPods) to let us know if it is faster, I would appreciate it. It would help justify my purchase if it was indeed faster somehow!!! Not saying it implies it, just that the way it is advertised you'd think there was a possibility of some type of improvement or why advertise it when it wasn't really broadcast as a feature on the last round of iPods, it was more like a "capability" on the last ones... Know what I mean? Anyhow point is if someone finds out whether it is faster or not, I'd personally appreciate the info.

Rey :)

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2005, 03:00 PM

The camera transfer speeds would depend on your camera's interface (1.1 or 2.0). The iPod is 2.0, but many cameras are not. Therein lies your bottleneck, methinks. There are a lot of reviews on the Camera connector. While I don't own it, it seems decent for around $20. If not decent, at least it's not expensive.

I'll be ordering one for my new iPod.

Stingrey  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2005, 05:38 PM

not sure if anyone else has insight here, but I've ONLY heard from people saying it is super slow to sync pics from a camera to an iPod in the past... I know my cam uses USB 2.0 and only learned that after buying a 2.0 card for my 17" Powerbook to accomodate my new "free" Shuffle, so the point is that if it really is that simple then I will have a faster sync than most people whose cams maybe don't use USB 2.0... BUT to be certain, does anyone else agree that the connector that Apple has for the iPod is faster when connected to USB 2.0 cameras?

Reason I ask the same question again is because from what I was told by a friend who took his iPod to Paris was that sync'ing pics from his memory card (1g card I think) took something like 1/2 hour or so and almost completely drained the charge from full to near empty to sync that one card worth of data I believe. That being said it is almost more reasonable for me to buy a couple of 1g cards vs. go throught he pain of charging the iPod overnight to sync the pics and then somehow charging my cam again before going out for the day when I go on vacation by coincidence to Paris also... Either that or buy two voltage adapters and some other junk. Or IF the new iPod syncs faster... THEN buy the adapter and the new Video iPod and be happier!!!

Rey :)

P.S. I love the Shuffle. VERY convenient when a regular iPod sometimes just isn't. Well worth signing up for a credit card or bank account or even the $100 or $129 they cost.

badtz
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2005, 10:44 PM

can the camera connector import the videos from your digital camera?

iMacfan
Senior User
Oct 15, 2005, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by badtz
can the camera connector import the videos from your digital camera?
Yes, but of course you can't view them on the iPod itself.

badtz
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2005, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by iMacfan
Yes, but of course you can't view them on the iPod itself.

That's awesome! @ least it can import.

Do you happen to know if you import it into your iPod [the movies] that the transferring process will reset the timestamp on the movie?

Currently, if you import your video clips into iPhoto, the timestamp for the video clip will change to the date and time that you did the import. BUT if you import into your computer via Image Capture, the timestamp stays the same as when you originally shot the video.

Will going the iPod route mess with the timestamp?

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Oct 16, 2005, 07:10 AM

I use a card reader to transfer my pictures from my Canon 300D rather than direct from the camera, it is much faster

Here are some test results:

I took 9 RAW images with my Canon 300D (Digital Rebel) on my 512MB Crucial compactflash card.

Importing from my 300D took 5 mins 38 sec

Importing from my USB 2 card reader took 1 min 32 sec

Importing from my USB 2 card reader to my PowerBook 1.5 took 12 sec!

Same photos, same card fresh import.

So the card reader to iPod is quicker than reading from the 300D, but not as fast as direct to the PowerBook.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2005, 11:30 AM

littlegreenspud: do you mean that you plug your USB reader into the camera connector and then that into the iPod?

Hadn't thought of doing that - would be pleased if that worked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules