Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > My First Belkin Wireless Network

My First Belkin Wireless Network
selowitch
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 10:34 PM

My goal is to create a network like this:

DSL Modem --> Belkin Router
wired connection --> PC tower
wired connection--> Macintosh tower

wirelessly linked to

Belkin Wireless Access Point
--> Print Server
--> Xbox

The first section works great as of now. The trouble began with configuring the wireless access point. On talking to Belkin Tech Support, they claimed I couldn't do this without a Wi-Fi enable laptop or PC to complete the configuration, that this couldn't be accomplished by temporarily connecting a wired PC to the WAP.

Are they right?

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2004, 11:55 PM

Please delete this thread. All was worked out.

drg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2005, 07:21 PM

The first section works great as of now. The trouble began with configuring the wireless access point. On talking to Belkin Tech Support, they claimed I couldn't do this without a Wi-Fi enable laptop or PC to complete the configuration, that this couldn't be accomplished by temporarily connecting a wired PC to the WAP.

Are they right?[/QUOTE]
I got one today, it worked fine as an ethernet hub but also could not get it to connect to either of two powerbooks by wireless. Called Belkin Tech Support, sat on hold for slightly over thirty minutes listening to a recording lecturing me about connecting things like they are supposed to and how to access everything else that would substitute for talking to a person. Finally got a real person who could not quite speak English. Had me to a series of stupid things that did not work. After three frustating hours, took the damn thing back. I guess I learned a bit about what it is like being a windoz user.
eschew obfuscation

Forum Links
Forum Rules