Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > help with ipod nano working with emac usb1.1????

help with ipod nano working with emac usb1.1????
confuddled girl......
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2005, 10:36 AM

i have just bought a nano and i have an emac which only has usb 1.1 now i understand that apple recommend using usb 2 however i cant afford a new computer!! i think i have read that it will still work with a usb 1.1 but how?????
i plug in my nano and it shows that a device has been plugged in however i tunes doesnt open and when i do open i tunes the ipod is not recognised..i know i may be being dumb but i really wanted to get some music on theis thing and start using it

thankyou em x

blackmacx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2005, 01:00 PM

Hey,

You're question's not dumb; I have the same setup and it works perfectly. Have you done the following:

1. charged the nano for atleast 8h before trying to use it with iTunes?
2. make sure it's not locked
3. unplug the iPod from your Mac, launch iTunes and plug in the nano (is the nano connected directly into your eMac or via a USB repeater/extender; make sure to have it directly connected into the eMac)?
4. as you've not likely put anything on to the nano, get the latest iPod Updater software (make sure your nano is plugged into your eMac) and see if that makes a difference?
5. open Disk Utility and check the nano for both correct permission settings and if the disk is properly verified and working correctly.
6. you might have a dud nano.

Good luck and let me know what happens.

Cheers,

BlackMacX
20" iMac (Intel)/2.1Ghz/1GB/250GB

confuddled girl......  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2005, 04:30 AM

ok.....i tried everything you said. i went onto disk utility and it said something about the permission settings not being enabled?? it said i could read and write..oh god i'm really not good with computers argh!! i did try it on my friends comp and it said that the device had malfunctioned so i have a sneaky suspicion it may be broke my next port of call may be the apple shop on the wkd...

thanks for your help anyway x

Mistur_Kevin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2005, 12:33 PM

I had the same problem with using USB 1.1 with my iPods

1st it doesn't charge the ipod
2nd it doesn't detect my ipod that quick approx. 10 minutes to detect I have a ipod connected to the computer

So what I did, was just went out and bought an 2.0 USB internal & everything worked all fine and great without any errors much faster + can charge

btw* it was an PC not an Mac, but maybe it's the same problem

blackmacx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2005, 04:58 PM

Hi Confuddled girl,

How goes it with your iPod?

Mistur Kevin,

Sadly the eMac that both Confuddled girl and I have, can't use (unless there's a hardware hack) internal USB cards (though I would love to be able too. ). The suggestion though is great and very appreciated.

That though makes me think, CG, if you have an external drive with a USB connection, try connecting the nano to it, if it mounts, great. If not and you've also got a Firewire based iPod, connect it up (if possible) and see if the Firewire will charge it.

That said, if by this point you've not had it working, take it back. You'd be fully warranted in doing so. At best, the staff should be able to help figure it out, at worst, you get a new nano.

Good luck and let me know.

BlackMacX
20" iMac (Intel)/2.1Ghz/1GB/250GB

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2005, 06:37 PM

Her iPod is beside the point! The real matter at had is that she stole my word confuddled!!!!

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2005, 02:06 PM

I'm using a Nano on my USB 1.1 equipped 17" iMac and it works fine. The only issue is that there are a few songs in my collection that will freeze up the computer when I try and load them on the iPod (I had the same issue with my shuffle and found that reripping them fixed it but I guess I didn't catch them all).
Regards,
Dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules