Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Compressor output worse than QT Pro output?

Compressor output worse than QT Pro output?
patniemeyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2007, 01:01 PM

I am converting some old DV video and I was surprised to find that when I threw them into Compressor 3.0 at the Apple default 1500Mb/s setting they looked much worse than the QT Pro default export at 1372Mb/s. They are noticeably jaggier and blockier. I have RTFM'd and experimented with every setting I can find (there is no rescaling / timing going on) and even tried lowering the bitrate to be identical. But they still look worse.

I suspect that Compressor is trying to preserve more detail and it's being counterproductive.

Has anyone else observed this?

I tried messing with the anti-aliasing and detail settings, but again, since no rescaling is going on I don't think they have any effect... and I don't see any improvement.

thanks,
Pat
Pat

Forum Links
Forum Rules