Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > McDonald's to Offer Wireless Internet

McDonald's to Offer Wireless Internet
Dougmc
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2003, 12:26 PM

"McDonald's to Offer Wireless Internet
By JIM KRANE

NEW YORK (AP) - Would you like super-sized Internet access with that burger and fries? In a further sign of the spread of wireless Internet technology, McDonald's restaurants in three U.S. cities will offer one hour of free high-speed access to anyone who buys a combination meal. Ten McDonald's in Manhattan will begin offering wireless WiFi, or 802.11b, Internet access on Wednesday, McDonald's spokeswoman Lisa Howard said."

Read more here:
http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news...0030305CXAF101

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2003, 12:46 PM

With better food, I'd actually consider going there. I'd also stop calling them McChoke-n-Puke too. Too bad it ain't gonna happen.

By the way, I wonder how they're gonna control security. WEP passwords changing on a daily basis? "Rentable" PCMCIA wireless cards with all other MAC addresses excluded? Are they gonna offer tech support? Who are they gonna train to run the system? High school burger flippers are not always the best people to administer networks.

SoBeLiZZard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2003, 08:02 PM

All of my veggie opinions aside (haven't been to a mcDick's in years), i don't get this one...

OK. .i'm imagining it.... I head over to the Arches, i sit down at the table.. I pull out my gorgeous new 12" powerbook... and then i whip out a nice greasy big mac, and a side of greasy fries....
Anyone seeing the problems here? All security problems aside, Grease + keyboard doesnt work for me... i don't see this one taking off

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2003, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by SoBeLiZZard:
All of my veggie opinions aside (haven't been to a mcDick's in years), i don't get this one...

OK. .i'm imagining it.... I head over to the Arches, i sit down at the table.. I pull out my gorgeous new 12" powerbook... and then i whip out a nice greasy big mac, and a side of greasy fries....
Anyone seeing the problems here? All security problems aside, Grease + keyboard doesnt work for me... i don't see this one taking off
wipe off your hands...
solved

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 12, 2003, 01:36 AM

Wrap the PB's keyboard and trackpad in the thinnest plastic wrap you can find. (The foodservice grade from the local wholesale warehouse is ideal.) You'll still be able to type and use the trackpad, and then just trash the plastic when you're done.

No joke. I do this (I wrap the screen as well) if I am eating anything that splashes while reading stuff online.

tooki

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Wrap the PB's keyboard and trackpad in the thinnest plastic wrap you can find. (The foodservice grade from the local wholesale warehouse is ideal.) You'll still be able to type and use the trackpad, and then just trash the plastic when you're done.

No joke. I do this (I wrap the screen as well) if I am eating anything that splashes while reading stuff online.
"the Kooky admin" is right.

I agree with Eug on the tech support issue. Computers, while they work nicely at one point, when left alone they will begin to... not work. It's the law of entropy.

While the wireless network may function for some amount of time, it's only a matter of weeks, or days, before stuff starts going wrong. This'll be interesting.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Pilotkev
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2003, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by SoBeLiZZard:

You obviously don't have a three year old. Here's the plan for me, if I ever see a McDonalds with wifi. Take my 3 year old in and choke down a lunch with her, then let her play in the playland, while I sit outside and surf the net for an hour. Sounds great to me! Sure beats reading the local paper.

Kevin

Forum Links
Forum Rules