Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which to buy iPod Mini or 4G iPod?

Which to buy iPod Mini or 4G iPod?
dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2004, 06:41 PM

Hey everyone,
I think I'm finally going to cave and buy an iPod I think. I'm not sure though whether I want the mini or the 4G iPod. My music collection is 8gb or so but I can honestly say that there's a lot of stuff in there I can easily go months without feeling the need to hear. I'm thinking the mini may be the way to go for me since it's smaller and I like the case design and form factor better (not to mention the silver colored one). Other than the size aspect (the mini being smaller and with a smaller drive) can anyone think of any reasons why I should opt for the larger 4G iPod? I doubt I'd use it much as a Firewire HD (already have a Superdrive for backing up files) and like i said, I'm not sure I'd really feel like i had to have my entire music collection with me at once. The mini would be handier to use at the gym or just on the go in general. I've already got an MP3 CD player in my car so I wouldn't feel the need to use it in my current car either. Most of my tunes are ripped at 192 or so, so I figure i could still fit 600+ songs on the Mini. So, anyone want to take a crack at this one? Mini or 4G?
Regards,
Dave

daxdagr8t
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2004, 06:48 PM

im on the same boat with u.i want the mino so bad but then i need a voice recorder for school and there is no mic that plugs into the mini so i might just have to buy the 4gipod which isnt that bad.

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2004, 07:08 PM

Definately go for the 4G its not that much bigger and it has 4x's the storage...I was gonna buy the mini a couple weeks ago but went with the 4G when it was announced and couldnt be happier.

You get allot more features.

12 hour battery life
16GB more storage
Bootable HD
Firewire disk drive
Multiple on the go playlist
Can delete on the go playlist
Photo Import
Voice Notes
Compatible with all of the 3G accessories

I think thats worth the extra $50
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 07:13 PM

you could also look into 3G ipods or refurbished ipods at apple. they are going for pretty cheap right now. i'd like a new ipod, my 1G ipod 5gb is going down the shitter lately. leaning toward a green mini.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
you could also look into 3G ipods or refurbished ipods at apple. they are going for pretty cheap right now. i'd like a new ipod, my 1G ipod 5gb is going down the shitter lately. leaning toward a green mini.
Of course, the bes thing is that you can get the 3rd or 4th gen now!

Forum Links
Forum Rules