Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Importing Video On Ibook

Importing Video On Ibook
rezrez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2005, 08:15 PM

Hey Gang,

I have a question. I want to put some of my home videos on my Ibook then burn them to a DVD (external burner). My question is What kind of connection can I find?? My Camcorder has a regular S video and also the Red/Yellow/White cables.

Any Suggestions??

Thanks in advance,

Rez
12" Ibook 1.2Ghz 512MB Ram 30G

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 9, 2005, 10:46 PM

You'll need something to digitize your inherently-analog camcorder's output. Start looking at places like CompUSA and BestBuy. Dazzle makes one product that's not too expensive and is USB-based...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 12:52 AM

An old eye-TV USB will do the trick and it saves in mpeg-1 which you can burn directly. The quality is not so great since USB is a huge bottleneck it comes out at 650mb/hour. You may want to consider a firewire eye-tv because they have much better picture quality but then you will be paying for features you don't use (the tv tuner portion). Anyway, there are options out there, good luck choosing the right one.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 09:54 AM

Good excuse to upgrade to a Mini DV camcorder. I'm sure several manufacturers have an inline analog to digital converter. I have a Canon that is a couple of years old and has this built in. Plug a vcr or 8mm camcorder into the digital camcorder, plug the digital camcorder into the iBook, and viola!

Well, in theory. I've never gotten around to using it!

Also, aren't there stand alone vcr/dvd burner combos available at places like Best Buy? Might be the cheaper and/or faster way to go.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2005, 03:54 PM

A simple solution would be the Belkin VideoBus II. It's usb based, so the quality isn't the best, but it is easy to use and relatively cheap. Except I'm not sure about OS X compatibility. I did find an app on versiontracker with OS X support that cost like $20. But I like the DVD burner/VCR combo idea, sounds like the easiest!

rezrez  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 10:52 AM

I have a home PC that has an analog signal which allows me to import video from my camcorder. Is there a file format that I can save this to which would be recognized in my Ibook??

I could take that format and burn in on a cd...

Is that even feasable??

Thanks Again...

Rez
12" Ibook 1.2Ghz 512MB Ram 30G

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 11, 2005, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by rezrez:
I have a home PC that has an analog signal which allows me to import video from my camcorder. Is there a file format that I can save this to which would be recognized in my Ibook??

Is that even feasable??

Thanks Again...

Rez
It's analog, so it needs to be digitized. That's the same thing as the original poster's problem. Sorry. Hey, I have a VHS-C camcorder and a ton of VHS tapes that I need to digitize before I can archive them, but being Bill Season, I'm going to have to wait a while for the gadgets to do it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thraxes
Jan 12, 2005, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by rezrez:

Is that even feasable??

Thanks Again...

Rez
Easiest and highest quality way would be to directly make it a Quicktime DV movie so you don't need to mess around with AVI -> MOV conversion. A great tool for this is Avid Free DV. It runs on PC and MAC. It is a limited version of the biggest rival to Final Cut Pro. It supports capturing, limited editing and Quicktime export on both platforms.

http://www.avid.com/freedv/index.asp

Download it and first see if Avid will recognize the analog capture device. If not - and this also goes to the original poster - get a new DV camera that can act as a DV bridge (you have to ask specifically, not all can do this).

Another option would be to get a simple FIREWIRE Analog-DV bridge. I wouldn't want to mess around with USB solutions as the ability to edit a DV File vs an MPEG2 file is much greater and does not involve decoding -> editing -> recoding. I prefer to stay lossless (DV) right before I make the DVD. Plus the fact that an Analog - IEEE1394 bridge is completely plattform independent is a big bonus!

A very good, inexpensive bridge is this one:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...144-021&depa=0
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules