Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Odd OS X Crash

Odd OS X Crash
dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2001, 04:03 PM

Hi,
I've had X crash completely on me about 2 or three times. One of them was last night. Here's what happened.
I was running like 3 apps(Limewire, Fire, and IE I think) and I went to launch iTunes. itunes took a really long time to launch and it never launched completely(it just kept bouncing in the dock). I brought up the force quit window but it didn't appear in it yet since it hadn't launched. So I decided to quit all my apps and try to relaunch the finder. When I tried to realunch the finder, the finder did the same thing that iTunes did(just kept bouncing in the dock) and never launched. I had to hit the reset button (wow it's been a while since I've had to do that). There was no kernel panic or anything accompanying this. I've had this occur before but it's quite disconcerting when it does. Any ideas?

------------------
Regards,
Dave
Regards,
Dave

pmoc
Forum Regular
May 26, 2001, 05:51 PM

Same thing here, and last night too. I had to reset the computer as well. But now, the access privileges do not work anymore. I had to unlock the OS X drive and I am now working with full privileges to every one. Strange isn't it?

The problem is I do know how to set the privileges back to work the admin group has disappeared from the Info window.

Very annoying indeed for a commercial release.

Cheers.
Philippe

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2001, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by dfbennett:
Hi,
I've had X crash completely on me about 2 or three times. One of them was last night. Here's what happened.
I was running like 3 apps(Limewire, Fire, and IE I think) and I went to launch iTunes. itunes took a really long time to launch and it never launched completely(it just kept bouncing in the dock). I brought up the force quit window but it didn't appear in it yet since it hadn't launched. So I decided to quit all my apps and try to relaunch the finder. When I tried to realunch the finder, the finder did the same thing that iTunes did(just kept bouncing in the dock) and never launched. I had to hit the reset button (wow it's been a while since I've had to do that). There was no kernel panic or anything accompanying this. I've had this occur before but it's quite disconcerting when it does. Any ideas?
I've had the same thing and had to restart - however - I have noticed that give the finder time and it will eventually restart
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

Dalgo
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2001, 06:10 PM

Yea, the same thing happens to me. I often open and close lots of programs and sometimes after doing something nothing else will open --- EVER. This means that i need to restart. I have no idea what causes apps to get stuck infinitely bouncing in the dock and the force quit window to never come up but I hope that APple fixes it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules