Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My 12" powerbook has suddenly started dying on me.

My 12" powerbook has suddenly started dying on me.
aquaslave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2004, 09:47 PM

Hi All

I bought my 12" powerbook last month and it has been running fine. Since yesterday, I have had it totally die on me twice. Both times was when I closed the lid and expected to see the throbbing white light to indicate sleep. It did not happen ... when i opened the lid again, the powerbook was dead. Nothing I did worked. I finally had to remove the battery and snap it back.

Today instead of pulling out the battery, I connected the powercord and the 'book came back to life on pressing the power button.

Anyone have any idea how/why ? The only thing that happened just prior to this is :

1. Installed the security update
2. Installed iLife '04

Thanks in advance

ibook_steve
Jan 29, 2004, 10:02 PM

Is your battery charged? When you plug back in, how charged is your battery? Perhaps you have bad contact between the battery and its connector. Or perhaps you have a bad battery that can't hold a charge. Or your power brick is not actually charging your battery. Check the battery icon in your menubar for all this information.

Steve

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2004, 10:22 PM

If your PB is only a month old phone up the Applecare people and see what they say....if theres a simple solution then they may no it otherwise they can sort out getting it fixed.

May be a pain not having you're PB but if it fixes the problem!! cos it definitely shouldn't do that! If ure in the States (im not so no apple stores for me ) pop along to a store and see if you can try a new battery and see if thats causing it.

Hope you sort the problem... good luck!

aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2004, 11:09 PM

thanks for the replies. my first thought was also about the battery but i know that it holds a full charge and when these incidents occurred, it was more than 90% charged.

it could be that the connector is not seated properly or something ... i am going to give it one more chance and if it happens again, it is time to call Applecare.

dodo_nutter: thanks for the suggestion on the apple store. luckily i am in the US of A so I can pop over to a store and see if that helps.

Thanks

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2004, 06:41 AM

No problem, get back to us on how it goes.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2004, 09:06 AM

I've seen this once on my 12" Rev A since the security update, as well.

aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2004, 02:10 PM

i assume it has happened only once so far for you ? please let us know if it recurs or if you find out something about it.

thanks

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2004, 03:22 PM

Only once, yes.

unplugged my USB audio interface, unplugged power supply, carried the laptop to my bedroom, where I put it to sleep by closing it.

five minutes later, I returned, to find the sleep light off. The battery check button on the underside showed a hastily flashing single LED when I pressed it.

I reset the PMU and restarted.

-s*

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2004, 12:13 PM

This "sleep coma" is a common problem with many different Macs. I suggest you reset the PMU as has been suggested here.

Also, if you have a USB device attached, try removing it before going to sleep, waiting about 5 seconds, and then activating sleep. USB devices have a tendency to wake up/prevent Macs from going to sleep.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2004, 05:42 PM

this should finally show me up as a switcher !! what is a pmu and how do i reset it?

i do not have any usb devices attached to the powerbook.

thanks for your help guys. apple rocks.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2004, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by aquaslave:
!! what is a pmu and how do i reset it?
PMU = power management unit

this page is your friend: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

(This must be one of the most requested KB pages on this forum, maybe I should put it in my sig...)

aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2004, 01:16 PM

Simon : thanks for the link. will keep that bookmarked from now on :-)
do you have any other useful links like that one for newbie switchers ? would love to keep all these handy so i can browse them before i come to the forum with doubts.

thanks again.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2004, 06:32 AM

do you have any other useful links like that one for newbie switchers ? would love to keep all these handy so i can browse them before i come to the forum with doubts.
Glad I could help.

I don't really have a collection of links myself. Actually, I just search the KB when I need something.

If you go to this page http://www.info.apple.com/ you can find a search field. Enter any term and select "Search Articles". Normally that leads right to some interesting info.

For instance, when I went there yesterday after your question, I typed "reset PMU" and the first hit was what I was looking for.

P.S. If you're new to the Mac, I suggest getting familiar with key combos here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459.

P.S.S. Another good thing for people new to the Mac is to take a look at the Mac Help in the Finder. It has some stuff for you to poke around: Finder > Help > Mac Help > New to Mac OS X

Have fun!

aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2004, 12:02 PM

Simon :

Thanks again for the links. Hopefully I will be able to pass on something in a year or so to other newbies :-)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2004, 04:31 AM

Simon :

Thanks again for the links. Hopefully I will be able to pass on something in a year or so to other newbies :-)
No problem.

And yeah, help newbies! Every happy switcher can generate new switchers and get Apple closer to a "MS-safe" market share.

Forum Links
Forum Rules