Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Avenger for Windows - port to Mac ?

Avenger for Windows - port to Mac ? (Page 2)
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 09:20 PM

If you're exporting a guiKit for ShapeShifter and using the guiKit template in ThemePark, ThemePark's previews won't show correct text colors, but the applied theme using ShapeShifter will use unified text colors everywhere, Carbon or Cocoa
IT WILL?! THATS AWSOME! all ths time I thought it wouldn't work. This site says it wont work for cocoa. It's the official ThemePark site (I think).

aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2004, 10:41 PM

macman4000: any chance we can have the same buttons as in the original avenger skin? i know the mouseover has a cool silvery finish over the black. can this be included as part of the animation ?

you are right about the black text as viewed on laptops. my powerbook barely makes it readable even after intense squinting.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 11:01 PM

Yes, and no.
Yes I can make one of the buttons silver, but which one do you want it to be?! I originally left silver out because it was a roll-over and mac osx dosn't have roll-overs. The buttons I used ARE the originals.

The animation is only a slow fade from "clicked button" (the lighter button below) to "default button" (the dark button with light border below). This is a default OSX animation. I can not change it, I cnan only change the resources it uses.

<snip> images removed
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Jul 19, 2004 at 05:57 PM. )

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 11:06 PM

Just me personally, but I don't like how the "up" state on the Default Push has the inner black box with the lighter ring around it... I'd much prefer it be like the regular Active Push. It just looks weird when that black box suddenly shows up.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 11:34 PM

Just me personally, but I don't like how the "up" state on the Default Push has the inner black box with the lighter ring around it... I'd much prefer it be like the regular Active Push. It just looks weird when that black box suddenly shows up.
Thats what the "default push" looks like in windows. I'm not changing anything, it's all copied from the original.

afphreak01
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2004, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
I like the black text on dark background too, but some people don't like hard to read stuff like that. Mabey it just looks better on my CRT ... it might look terrible at the wrong angle on a flat screen like an iMac or laptop.

How do you guys like these buttons? Too dark? Too light? Perfect?
<snip>
<snip>

(I know it's a choppy animation and the timings wrong, but you get the idea)
yeah, the black text thing must be a CRT thing, i'm on an eMac here...

and those buttons look pretty good from here also...
i'm too lazy to come up with a sig

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2004, 12:09 AM

since there is some confusion about which button should go where I will open it up to you guys. All the buttons I have are shown below. Let me know which one should be "default", "clicked, "active (aka: normal)", and "inactive".

<snip>images removed

FYI: the buttons shown in the previous screen shot with the animated button are as follows:
  • default=2
  • active=6
  • inactive=3
  • clicked=1

The silvery roll-over from windows is number 4
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Jul 19, 2004 at 05:57 PM. )

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2004, 10:55 AM

Keep it true to the original. That silver is boring anyway.

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2004, 02:09 PM

consult the author, not us. lets make it a 100% port and not a port with deviations.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2004, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
consult the author, not us. lets make it a 100% port and not a port with deviations.
ditto.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jun 26, 2004, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
I agree, if you want to modd the theme to your like that's cool, but do it as a variation to the original and package them together.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2004, 06:14 PM

So far I have been keeping it all original, but tthe buttons have lots of options and I thought maybe it could change if no-one liked them. I will keep the buttons I showed you earlier then. Sorry Sage, no silvery roll-over.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2004, 11:50 PM

Heres the latest preview:
<snip>
let me know what you think.
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 10, 2004 at 09:42 PM. )

afphreak01
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2004, 12:00 AM

looks pretty good so far but it looks like the tabs were more rounded in the windows version... other than that, looks like i got a new favorite being made

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 12:25 AM

Like it so far
click one

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 12:25 AM

I wanted to make more rounded tabs too, but they could only be rounded on the end of the end tabs. the part where one tab meats another tab cannot be rounded like that. It is only a 1 pixel wide image between each tab. not enough room to round. If you put a larger image there it wont work because the same image is used for both the right side and the left side. I tried.

3 questions for you guys:
  • should I make the inactive popup button the same faded look as the inactive push button or keep it like it is now?
  • should I make the popup buttons the same height as the push buttons?
  • do you care that the active push button is not the same shade as the active popup button?

EDIT:
< I am going to make the buttons all match. active push and active popup will be the same and inactive popup will be faded out just like inactive push. The height will stay how it is now since that is the original size from the windows version. >
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Jun 27, 2004 at 08:02 PM. )

aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2004, 08:23 PM

just awesome! i am so excited to finally have Avenger on mac too!! thanks to macman4000 and mike bryant.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 07:48 PM

I didn't get much NEW done in the past few days all I've been doing is tweaking the stuff I already did. (I think I'm becoming a perfectionist.) I decided to throw out all those old screenshots aand combine them all into one big one because I was getting too many cluttering up my site. I was up to 10 small screenshots untill now. I'm planing on just keeping all the screenshots on my site from now on.

Click here for the screenshot.

By the way, the tabs are going to change. Aqua is just not ment to have tabs that look like tabs. They normally look like This:

With that original image I had to lower the upper well line (the line across the top of a tab well) and raise the bottom of the tabs. I just recently exported a guikit just to try it out for a while and noticed that this causes a lot of problems with things overlapping the line. I am planning on making the tabs the same shape and size as the default Aqua tabs but they will still be the color they are now.

I also realized how much wider I made the buttons. I no they look like they are almost overlapping in the screenshot, I am working on this right now, it is a quick fix so don't worry about it.
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Jun 30, 2004 at 09:14 AM. )

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 02:28 PM

Is anyone still watching this thread? I need suggestions for the apple menu image. The apple I was using looks out of place and the "metal plate" from the windows start menu has already been ruled out because it�s impossible. Any ideas?

aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 02:34 PM

@macman4000:

i had posted a couple of suggestions in page one of this thread about the apple image. to repeat : can you use the user icon that Mike uses in the original style (right next to the user name in the start panel) ? not sure though .. just a suggestion.

will let you know if i can come up with something else. maybe mike can suggest something too if you ask him ?

thanks for the hard work man.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jul 1, 2004, 02:40 PM

MacMan, i would have a peek under the hood of Chosen, and any other theme that doesn't use the standard apple logo. Just a thought, but why not see how it was done?

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2004, 02:43 PM

Is anyone still watching this thread? I need suggestions for the apple menu image. The apple I was using looks out of place and the "metal plate" from the windows start menu has already been ruled out because it�s impossible. Any ideas?
Check out Shinobi's. Something like that (but with materials that pertain to Avenger) would be nice.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 07:46 PM

MacMan, i would have a peek under the hood of Chosen, and any other theme that doesn't use the standard apple logo. Just a thought, but why not see how it was done?
See how what was done? The wider image is easy, I can do that fine. Im looking for suggestions for what it should look like not how to do it.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 07:50 PM

Check out Shinobi's. Something like that (but with materials that pertain to Avenger) would be nice.
Unfortunatly somthing like that is not possible with "enable more menu customization" turned on, which it is. If i turn off this feature all of the menus will not have end-caps they will all have a horizontally tiled image all the way across.

If I leave this feature on, end caps will appear around the image chosen for the apple logo. To better explaine this I will make a quick example screenshot to be posted in about 10 minutes from this now (now is 7:52 PM eastern time on thursday july 1st).

afphreak01
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2004, 07:52 PM

how about just making the apple with that grey metal look?

edit: post 100

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 08:22 PM

This is a crappy 5 minute job so I know it looks like S*** but its only for educational perpouses not for actual use.

This image:
<snip>
Looks like this when you click it with (with the current end-caps from avenger):
<snip>

Now you learned somthing!

Whatever image I do use in the final version it will need to be short enough to fit in the clicked menu borders, width dosn't matter
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 10, 2004 at 09:43 PM. )

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2004, 08:30 PM

This is a crappy 5 minute job so I know it looks like S*** but its only for educational perpouses not for actual use.

This image:

Looks like this when you click it with (with the current end-caps from avenger):

Now you learned somthing!
cool.... make the oval an apple, and small enough to fit in the end-caps, and you've got it.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 08:39 PM

The apple dosn't fit inside the caps (too tall) and if i shrink it it looks awful.

What about this crazy idea:
<snip>

just an idea... it's never been done before (i dont think)... I like it.
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 10, 2004 at 09:43 PM. )

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jul 1, 2004, 09:00 PM

The apple dosn't fit inside the caps (too tall) and if i shrink it it looks awful.

What about this crazy idea:

just an idea... it's never been done before (i dont think)... I like it.
Okay what if the 'apple' was a graphic and not type? could it be the fill? if so you'll have better control over the look. I believe that's how chosen was done. Otherwise i would use the 'A' from the PC theme that seems to be the Avenger Logo. Just a thought but it would be cool.. And there is 2 examples in the screenshot from the 1st post. A little grey/black one and a large white/grey one. Actually that would be my first choice the more i think about it...

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 09:15 PM

Okay what if the 'apple' was a graphic and not type? could it be the fill? if so you'll have better control over the look. I believe that's how chosen was done. Otherwise i would use the 'A' from the PC theme that seems to be the Avenger Logo. Just a thought but it would be cool.. And there is 2 examples in the screenshot from the 1st post. A little grey/black one and a large white/grey one. Actually that would be my first choice the more i think about it...
I do like the idea of useing that 'A' for the apple logo, but I need to find that font first. The font is called "Airlock Regular". I can't find it so-far. If you can help me find it (for free of course) I will work on making that the apple menu.

<EDIT>
I found it 2 minutes after I posted. Working on it now.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 09:25 PM

How's this:
<snip>

Notice the awsomely fast work on that.
last post: 9:15 This post:9:25
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 10, 2004 at 09:44 PM. )

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 10:33 PM

Mike S.
Senior User
Jul 1, 2004, 10:52 PM

Nice job digitaljames.

Is it just me or do themes without an Apple logo seem incomplete somehow? Every time I see a theme with something other than the Apple logo it bugs me... I guess I'm just used to seeing it there.

afphreak01
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2004, 11:32 PM

i like both the A and the Apple both look really nice...

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 12:02 AM

Nice apple! I like both, the apple and the 'A'. If you send me the apple i think I will include both, one as "graphite" and the other as "blue" so it can be changed in the system prefs without changing the whole theme.

I really wanted the apple at first but it never looked right when I did it, so I gave up and went back to the drawing board for a replacement. But that apple looks great! Awsome job

I am hopeing you saved the apple with a transperent background, if not I will need to remove it from your screenshot which wont look very good.
If you have it saved like that please e-mail it to me.

<EDIT> 50th post! Im finally a member, not just a junior!
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 29, 2004 at 01:45 PM. )

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 12:05 AM

Nice apple! I like both, the apple and the 'A'. If you send me the apple i think I will include both, one as "graphite" and the other as "blue" so it can be changed in the system prefs without changing the whole theme.

I really wanted the apple at first but it never looked right when I did it, so I gave up and went back to the drawing board for a replacement. But that apple looks great! Awsome job

I am hopeing you saved the apple with a transperent background, if not I will need to remove it from your screenshot which wont look very good.
If you have it saved like that please e-mail it to me.
Of course I didn't save it but I can remake it no problem.....

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 12:12 AM

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 12:22 AM

Awsome. Thanks James.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2004, 09:20 AM

This Avenger Mac port is going to kick some @ss! It was my favorite windowblinds theme when I had a PC last year. Keep us updated on the progress.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jul 2, 2004, 09:47 AM

<EDIT> 50th post! Im finally a member, not just a junior!
Congrats and welcome to the club...

Love'n all the work.. and great solutions to the problems that have come up! I'm stoked to play with this one..

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by digitaljames:
Not enough contrast, it blends into the menu bar too much. Looks good though other wise.
click one

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 10:36 PM

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2004, 10:48 PM

phucking A
to quote someone ....

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jul 2, 2004, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by digitaljames:
Now that's smoooooooooth..... and with Style...

Mighty_Mike_T
Jul 2, 2004, 11:23 PM

Awesome. Now hurry up and finish it so I can start using it!

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 03:24 AM

i'm a fan of the apple (that sinks in when clicked) ... i dunno .. i have a bunch of themes... rarely do i use one without a apple at the upper left .. and when i do .. i usually switch back .. wierd .. i think the apple is comforting =)

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 04:03 PM

You all obviously didn't learn anything from my previous lesson so I'm gonna tell you one more time...

THE APPLE IMAGE MUST FIT INSIDE THE SUNK IN CLICKED MENU BECAUSE IT WILL HAVE THAT SUNK IN IMAGE BEHIND IT... INCLUDING THE END CAPS!!!

That image will look like this when you click it!

ok, im done yelling. You are all incompetent.

If anyone wants to make suggestions that are usable feel free to do so.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 05:19 PM

Ah...if someone has a good idea that you like its ok....if you don't then were incompetent....two words. f*ck off....

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 09:27 PM

no, I DO like it but it will not work! I do like the picture you made, but I do not like what it will look like when you click it. I didn't mean to piss anyone off I was just pissed off myself about somthing else (dont ask). Sorry.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 10:27 PM

Then tuck it under if you are goning to use the inset bevel.........

Forum Links
Forum Rules