Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Avenger for Windows - port to Mac ?

Avenger for Windows - port to Mac ? (Page 5)
Thread Tools
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 12, 2004, 05:25 PM
 
Originally posted by aquaslave:
*nudge* *nudge*
t'was dangerously close to being pushed out to the second page. cant have that now, can we ?
Nice save. I was staying at my cousins house for the entire weekend so I didn't get anything done, but I'm back to work now! Look for beta 0.2 soon. Hopefully the LAST beta. but I'm not making any promises.
     
Dave-o
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somewhere in your mind.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 12, 2004, 08:55 PM
 
OH and let me tell you it a bute,,, it's sexy, clean and worth every dollar.... lick... ahhh....
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 12, 2004, 11:56 PM
 
Originally posted by Dave-o:
OH and let me tell you it a bute,,, it's sexy, clean and worth every dollar.... lick... ahhh....
What? Did i miss something? Does it taste good dave?

By the way... Beta 0.2 is out, so all you beta testers need to check your e-mail! RIGHT NOW!
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 08:37 PM
 
wow, what an uneventful release... not even a thank you. did everyone get it OK? Has everyone given up on me and this theme already? COME BACK!!! I'M ALMOST DONE!

     
aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2004, 11:05 PM
 
first of all, a big thank you to macman4000 for the effort in this port. it looks beautiful!

now for some comments(just my opinion):
1. the widgets still seem too rough to me. especially the mouseovers make them look kinda unhinged. dont know if i am making sense. the original (windows) widgets look more rounded and "bulbous".
2. The apple bar (taskbar equivalent) widgets also look shaky. The volume icon shows up as black and white.
3. The finder buttons could perhaps be combined into one group? I am referring to the buttons to change the finder view.

I love the menus, the apple button, the theme buttons and most of the other stuff. Looking real good.

Thanks again.
     
crooner
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sin City, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2004, 07:25 PM
 
Man, I can't believe I just now stumbled onto this thread.

This theme looks amazing! Can't wait for the release.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.
     
Dave-o
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somewhere in your mind.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2004, 08:54 PM
 
Originally posted by crooner:
Man, I can't believe I just now stumbled onto this thread.
Where the heck have you been? Down on the strip? You need to get away from the tables and focus more on themes...
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2004, 10:42 PM
 
Originally posted by aquaslave:
first of all, a big thank you to macman4000 for the effort in this port. it looks beautiful!
Your welcome! Thank you!
Originally posted by aquaslave:
1. the widgets still seem too rough to me. especially the mouseovers make them look kinda unhinged. dont know if i am making sense. the original (windows) widgets look more rounded and "bulbous".
yeah, I need to work on that, I will add that to the to-do list
Originally posted by aquaslave:
2. The apple bar (taskbar equivalent) widgets also look shaky. The volume icon shows up as black and white.
If you are talking about the menu extras (airport status, script menu, battery level, etc.) then I am going to work on this soon. It is already on the to-do list, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
Originally posted by aquaslave:
3. The finder buttons could perhaps be combined into one group? I am referring to the buttons to change the finder view.
I am thinking about that too, The current look is kinda goofy looking. Maybe. I will post back if I like the changes.
Originally posted by aquaslave:
I love the menus, the apple button, the theme buttons and most of the other stuff. Looking real good.

Thanks again.
Thank you to all the testers! Your welcome again!
     
crooner
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sin City, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2004, 11:06 PM
 
Originally posted by Dave-o:
Where the heck have you been? Down on the strip? You need to get away from the tables and focus more on themes...

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.
     
Holigen
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: In Your Computer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 19, 2004, 08:49 PM
 
Hey MacMan, I have an Avenger cursor set that I could send over to you. Its formatted for Mighty Mouse and it has all of the Avenger cursors included in the WinXP theme. PM me.

I guess we have one extra done

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 19, 2004, 09:18 PM
 
Originally posted by Holigen:
Hey MacMan, I have an Avenger cursor set that I could send over to you. Its formatted for Mighty Mouse and it has all of the Avenger cursors included in the WinXP theme. PM me.

I guess we have one extra done
Awsome! PM sent!
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 20, 2004, 08:13 PM
 
ok, I HAVE been making progress... slowly. I managed to complete the Beveled buttons and the titlebar is now uglyness-free. Check it out:



That means very little is left on ye olde to-do list

BETA TESTERS: let me know if you see anything that is not mentioned on the to-do list. I probably forgot something. Im very forgetful
     
Holigen
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: In Your Computer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 20, 2004, 09:19 PM
 
Thats lookin great. Awesome job on the port man.

Btw, email has been sent.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 20, 2004, 10:44 PM
 
Very nice looking cursors! I don't have time to link them all, but to see them go to http://www.murphyscamera.com/kevin/I...enger/cursors/
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 21, 2004, 04:10 PM
 
OK, I fixed the titlebar widgets so they aren't so... ugly. At first I just took off the bevel so they wuld fit into Aqua with no modification, but that looked ugly as hell. So I went back an started from scratch (well, kinda) to make these bad boys:



Now they have a nice beveled in look around them, and they are slightly smaller.
     
fireside
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Floreeda
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 21, 2004, 05:51 PM
 
Originally posted by MacMan4000:
what app is that to show all those elements?
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 21, 2004, 05:53 PM
 
Originally posted by fireside:
what app is that to show all those elements?
Its just a homemade thing. I followed a tutorial on ResExcellence.com to make it. They use the same layout I think. I can e-mail it to you if you want it.

<EDIT>Here's the tutorial but I can still e-mail it if you are as lazy as me.
     
Dave-o
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somewhere in your mind.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 21, 2004, 07:02 PM
 
Looking good as always MacMan... You have the possibility of being a top notch designer...
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 21, 2004, 09:35 PM
 
I re-did the finder buttons to make them connected. that separate button idea was kinda goofy. But I think I need to re-re-do them... opinions welcome.



I'm thinking the bevel needs to be removed because the top edge looks too dark/thick black line. what do you think? re-do it or keep it?
     
Solsonic
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Southern California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 21, 2004, 09:50 PM
 
I personally think the buttons look really nice. I'm no pro themer but I know what looks good. I think
     
aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 21, 2004, 10:27 PM
 
the titlebar widgets look really nice now. any chance of looking at a full-size screenie ?

i like the finder buttons too but (IMHO), they look a bit dull. i am not sure what you can do to liven it up a bit ... if something pops into my head, will let you know.

great work!
thanks

<edit> you have seen the ProLCD finder buttons? is it possible to go for that look? the background will be a sunken avenger light grey with the actual buttons popping out of that in darker grey ? not sure if i make sense here.
     
fireside
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Floreeda
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 21, 2004, 11:15 PM
 
Originally posted by MacMan4000:
I re-did the finder buttons to make them connected. that separate button idea was kinda goofy. But I think I need to re-re-do them... opinions welcome.



I'm thinking the bevel needs to be removed because the top edge looks too dark/thick black line. what do you think? re-do it or keep it?
you should scoot up the titlebar buttons up a few pixels.
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 22, 2004, 07:11 AM
 
Originally posted by fireside:
you should scoot up the titlebar buttons up a few pixels.
I would if I could, but I can't.
     
nanovivid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Mar 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 22, 2004, 07:38 AM
 
I didn't see it on the to do list, so I figured I'd ask. Do you have any plans to change the indeterminate progress spinner? I really like it when themes customize it as well... I think it adds a really nice touch.
     
aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 22, 2004, 11:00 AM
 
i have an idea about the indeterminate progress wheel ... how about we try and use the wait cursor (without the central "A") from the avenger set (link is a few posts up) ? i think that would look cool!

<edit> this is what i am talking about:
     
Dave-o
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somewhere in your mind.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 22, 2004, 01:28 PM
 
Now that's groovey!!!!!!
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 22, 2004, 07:23 PM
 
Originally posted by aquaslave:
i have an idea about the indeterminate progress wheel ... how about we try and use the wait cursor (without the central "A") from the avenger set (link is a few posts up) ? i think that would look cool!

<edit> this is what i am talking about:
Awesome Idea! I was dreading coming up with an idea for that. I was stumped. This sounds really cool! I'll try that soon.
     
fireside
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Floreeda
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 22, 2004, 08:01 PM
 
Originally posted by MacMan4000:
I would if I could, but I can't.
why can't you? not all the elements have to be in the exact same place as the aqua ones you know
     
demograph68
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 22, 2004, 08:13 PM
 
Originally posted by fireside:
why can't you?
Because he's lazy! JK
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 22, 2004, 08:49 PM
 
Originally posted by fireside:
why can't you? not all the elements have to be in the exact same place as the aqua ones you know
They are in the exact same position... thats not a mockup, that a screenshot from theme preview. And that second screenshot is from the finder! also not a mockup! That particular resource is exactly 14x14 pixels and the image I am using is also exactly 14x14 pixels... so there is no room for moving it.
     
fireside
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Floreeda
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 22, 2004, 10:26 PM
 
Originally posted by MacMan4000:
They are in the exact same position... thats not a mockup, that a screenshot from theme preview. And that second screenshot is from the finder! also not a mockup! That particular resource is exactly 14x14 pixels and the image I am using is also exactly 14x14 pixels... so there is no room for moving it.
so what make it 16x16 pixels.
     
deej5871
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Metamora, OH
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 22, 2004, 10:36 PM
 
It's my understanding that making the resources for the titlebar buttons bigger than they are supposed to be makes it so that they are spaced differently in Cocoa and Carbon apps.. Hence Mac OS XP having small titlebar buttons.

I don't think he wants that.
     
crooner
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sin City, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 22, 2004, 10:40 PM
 
Originally posted by aquaslave:
i have an idea about the indeterminate progress wheel ... how about we try and use the wait cursor (without the central "A") from the avenger set (link is a few posts up) ? i think that would look cool!

<edit> this is what i am talking about:
Extremely cool!

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 22, 2004, 10:40 PM
 
Originally posted by deej5871:
It's my understanding that making the resources for the titlebar buttons bigger than they are supposed to be makes it so that they are spaced differently in Cocoa and Carbon apps.. Hence Mac OS XP having small titlebar buttons.

I don't think he wants that.
exactly. Beat me too it.
     
aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 26, 2004, 09:10 PM
 
handful of posts away from being relegated to the second page - and he saaaaaaves
     
MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 27, 2004, 02:12 AM
 
good save, can't wait to use this theme.

Dave
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 28, 2004, 10:51 PM
 
Public Beta!

It's Done!! It's Done! Download now! All that is left from making it a Non-beta is App skins! Enjoy!
     
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 28, 2004, 10:57 PM
 
Originally posted by MacMan4000:
Public Beta!

It's Done!! It's Done! Download now! All that is left from making it a Non-beta is App skins! Enjoy!
*downloads*
click one
     
Solsonic
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Southern California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 28, 2004, 10:58 PM
 
Sweet! Thanks sooo much and Great job.
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 28, 2004, 11:12 PM
 
Should I make a new thread? like an Announcement thread?

Edit: I'm going to bed now, I'll check your responses (and maybe post a new thread) in the morning.
     
Makki
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: At Home
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 28, 2004, 11:15 PM
 
Originally posted by MacMan4000:
Should I make a new thread? like an Announcement thread?

Edit: I'm going to bed now, I'll check your responses (and maybe post a new thread) in the morning.
Yes an ANNouncement thread is the best way

Makki
     
philcozz
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 28, 2004, 11:41 PM
 
Thanks for the release, and good work!
     
aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 29, 2004, 10:36 AM
 
Congratulations and thanks !! I will download as soon as I get home.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,