Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [Preview] Vette

[Preview] Vette (Page 2)
Ubbe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2004, 10:38 AM

bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2004, 11:27 PM

I'm just pushin this thread back to the top so the author knows How Much I WANT I WANT I WANT
This.

{ehem}
sorry, had to get that out of my system

J

bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2004, 11:32 PM

...also realized that the first color, that Black/Blue is super nice...I hope you don't loose that in updating all the other variants (though I want I want I want them All)

crooner  (op)
Senior User
Oct 1, 2004, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by bentoon:
...also realized that the first color, that Black/Blue is super nice...I hope you don't loose that in updating all the other variants (though I want I want I want them All)
The "charcoal" or darkest color is the going to be the first release, but have no fear, several other color variations will soon follow. NetworkShadow is churning out the design elements and I'm in "root menu cap and fill hell".

You won't be disappointed... the charcoal looks awesome.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

crooner  (op)
Senior User
Oct 1, 2004, 01:16 AM

Holy !

That last post made me a senior member.

Doesn�t quite feel as cool as I thought it would.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2004, 01:17 AM

Damn work is keeping me away from the theme tomorrow... I'll get too it though once free time comes along.
click one

aquaslave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2004, 04:41 PM

this is one sexy theme ... i think it (when it comes out) will slowly replace Avenger on my mac

thanks for all the good work you guys ... all i can do is use your themes

crooner  (op)
Senior User
Oct 1, 2004, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by aquaslave:
this is one sexy theme ... I think it (when it comes out) will slowly replace Avenger on my Mac

Thanks for all the good work you guys ... All i can do is use your themes
Wow... I'll say thanks even though I'm just the "mechanic" on this one. NS is the real wizard.

I gotta say, though, that MacMan4000's job on Avenger is nothing short of incredible. Getting that to jive in ThemePark must have been a serious mother !

Progress is good right now and will probably get a boost this weekend. The menubar and menus are starting to look very cool. If NS gives the okay, I'll post a teaser.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Oct 1, 2004, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by aquaslave:
this is one sexy theme ... i think it (when it comes out) will slowly replace Avenger on my mac

thanks for all the good work you guys ... all i can do is use your themes
You are such an Indian Giver (no disrespect)... You pumped Mac Man for almost 5 months and then you say this will replace Avenger.. If he doesn't beat you with a wet noodle, I'm going to... 'Hem fight'n words...

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2004, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
You are such an Indian Giver (no disrespect)... You pumped Mac Man for almost 5 months and then you say this will replace Avenger.. If he doesn't beat you with a wet noodle, I'm going to... 'Hem fight'n words...
LOL! I had been watching this post for a while, and was thinking something like that, but I wasn't going to say it.

No hard feelings, I wont beat you senseless.

Dave-o, he's all yours for beating with wet noodles
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Oct 1, 2004 at 10:47 PM. )

aquaslave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2004, 10:38 PM

jeeeez .. the fact that i said "slowly replace" has no value now ?

i did pump up macman4000 and lookit Avenger now - not that i claim to have anything to do with how beautiful it turned out. every good theme deserves a pump and i think vette is one of those

bring on those wet noodles .. you have no idea what turns me on do ya ?

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2004, 12:28 AM

it wont get done

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by orangep0ny:
it wont get done
Mike, you're one to talk... GUI stain may have died, but we are making progress on this theme. Too early to say when it'll be done, but I'll do my best to deliver.
click one

crooner  (op)
Senior User
Oct 2, 2004, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Mike, you're one to talk... GUI stain may have died, but we are making progress on this theme. Too early to say when it'll be done, but I'll do my best to deliver.
Yeah, damn it!

We'll get this thing out the door one way or another. Don't be fooled if it "looks" just like Aqua in every way. Naturally, we've had to "stray" a bit from early mockups, but regardless of how startling the similarity is (on a pixel by pixel basis) to Aqua, believe you me, bub, we are working our asses off!

(sound of beer can opening)

Damn straight!

bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2004, 01:52 AM

and there's something else at play here
...This is a very well designed theme. It looks both unique and classic. When a design like this starts to come to life the universe removes obsticals, there is peace and prosperity throughout the land, and everyone with it on their desktop wins the lottery.
Thanks for your work you guys,
J

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2004, 12:17 PM

I'll vote for Red and Blue.

Dave

bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2004, 09:25 AM

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2004, 10:30 AM

I haven't read this entire thread, but having worked in Las Vegas right next door to where they built the Shelby, so to me this theme looks more like the Shelby than a Corvette!

Maybe a name change is in order?
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

gautch
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2004, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by MacDog:
I haven't read this entire thread, but having worked in Las Vegas right next door to where they built the Shelby, so to me this theme looks more like the Shelby than a Corvette!

* Snip *

Maybe a name change is in order?
I agree it looks alot more like the AC Cobra than a Vette.

crooner  (op)
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by gautch:
I agree it looks alot more like the AC Cobra than a Vette.
I can see what you're saying, but Vette's white accents are more rounded like the accents on the sides of late 50's Corvettes.
Most importantly,however, is that the word "Vette" sounds better for the theme than "Cobra."
I mean... Cobra makes you think of snakes wrapped around half naked, oiled up, hard rock chicks; not a clean, respectable GUI for your Mac. Dontcha think?

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2004, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by crooner:
Cobra makes you think of snakes wrapped around half naked, oiled up, hard rock chicks; not a clean, respectable GUI for your Mac. Dontcha think?
I hope you washed your hands after you typed that... you filthy-minded b@stard!
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 02:39 PM

Little update on the progress of the design.

I'm still working on designing all the elements.
click one

gautch
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by crooner:
I can see what you're saying, but Vette's white accents are more rounded like the accents on the sides of late 50's Corvettes.
Most importantly,however, is that the word "Vette" sounds better for the theme than "Cobra."
I mean... Cobra makes you think of snakes wrapped around half naked, oiled up, hard rock chicks; not a clean, respectable GUI for your Mac. Dontcha think?
No to me, the words Cobra brings to mind are, Smooth, Fast, Classic, and most inportantly Original.

Besides when the cobra was first designed, then raced against your Vette... is smoked it. Thats why it became
so popular. It was a from a lesser known car designer, with a great eye for design and implimation...
... everything this theme is.

The Vette theme is Smooth, Fast, Classic, and Original. But most inportantly (in my eye) its going to smoke
every theme that is now the norm.... Hence, me agreeing that it should have a name that is more of a fit.

.. i think that was a rant. Sorry guys, and no offence..!

demograph68
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 02:46 PM

http://androidworkshop.com/linkoffse...e/vette_03.jpg

crooner  (op)
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Demo, you likey?

Dave-o�
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 03:54 PM

I bet it's from the fact that he has so many Siro icons to do...

I think NS is doing an awesome job on this one.. soft yet hard lines/style.. and the color contrast is dead on..

philcozz
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2004, 04:01 PM

That is a very cool theme. I look forward to its release!

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 08:01 PM

That really is looking great! The sophistication of the buttons and tabs is starting to make the titlebar look a little crude by comparison though. You're going to have to beef it up a little more now!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
That really is looking great! The sophistication of the buttons and tabs is starting to make the titlebar look a little crude by comparison though. You're going to have to beef it up a little more now!
Maybe... I was thinking about that myself. I'll test the shine look on the title white of the bar also. The scroll buttons and bar will need it too then.

Glad everyone likes the look so far. Though I'm not sure if " " is good or not... I'll be putting more work into it soon, hopefully we'll have it realized into a theme by the end of the year at the latest... no promises yet though.

So the name is an issue? I'm open to ideas... Please continue to post car pictures too.
click one

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2004, 08:52 PM

I liked the original mockup better ... sorry. The new one is still great, but I dig the old tabs more.
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by olorin15:
I liked the original mockup better ... sorry. The new one is still great, but I dig the old tabs more.
The old tabs/buttons would look lame at smaller sizes, also it's hard to make buttons with borders like that and have them text friendly at the same time. That's why I changed them.
click one

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 08:59 PM

I don't care what it's named... but Cobras are definitely cooler...
I chased this one down to get a crummy camera-phone picture or three

(click for bigger)

crooner  (op)
Senior User
Oct 14, 2004, 12:38 AM

No question... the Cobra is a cool car. But just when I think I prefer it, I take a look at a 1958 Corvette and, well... the car is so damn sexy. It really does remind me of the theme and vise-versa.

Take a look-see:

Click for larger

Me? I'd rather ride in the 'Vette. More classic lines and curves.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2004, 02:44 AM

Actually, I've driven (i.e. tested, not like owned !) both a 1958 Vette and a Cobra 427 replica, over here these originals are extremely expensive.
Of course it's all a matter of taste, but to me there is NOTHING like a Cobra : no snake, no hard rock chicks, no mac theme, no vette. The Cobra is one of few ultimate driver's cars IMHO.

MacDog, thanks for your lovely picture. It made my heart jump - correct : explode - well, you've made my day to say the least

Back to vette theming now.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 06:44 AM

Yeah Cobras are the ultimate Fords, and maybe musclecar overall, but this theme has that Vette look, that's for sure! I'm starting to look forward to the Yellow version myself!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2004, 06:54 AM

Not sure if it would impact readability any, but for the text versions, if they had a bit of skew, or motion-related effect, that would give it more separation from other themes as well contribute to the "speed factor". Just my $.02, though it's surely improving from an already good start.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2004, 10:17 AM

Amazing work so far!! It's so NICE!

crooner  (op)
Senior User
Oct 15, 2004, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Not sure if it would impact readability any, but for the text versions, if they had a bit of skew, or motion-related effect, that would give it more separation from other themes as well contribute to the "speed factor". Just my $.02, though it's surely improving from an already good start.
I'm not sure what you mean by "text versions." Could you be more specific?

esXXI
Senior User
Oct 15, 2004, 03:17 AM

I like how the buttons seem to be shiny on the edges, but matte in the middle.. Good work. =)

Acrimonium
Oct 28, 2004, 02:27 PM

: : B U M P : :

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by Acrimonium:
: : B U M P : :

No worries, I don't intend on letting this one die out. Right now school has taken top priority in my life... I'm putting my all into my last semester, so I'll be finishing this Dec with an AAS in graphic design around my birthday. So the plan is to take it easy for the last half of Dec and work on the theme and other personal projects before I go job hunting. So I still have every intention of finishing this theme.
click one

Acrimonium
Oct 28, 2004, 04:07 PM

School should never be a priority

crooner  (op)
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Acrimonium:
School should never be a priority
Wasn�t it Mark Twain that said "Never let your schooling get in the way of your education"?
Well, if he didn't say it, than I guess I did.

Seriously, however, NS has been kicking ass becoming the next great Photoshop monster, so the wait will be worth it.
( Last edited by crooner; Oct 28, 2004 at 05:30 PM. )

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2004, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
NS you might want to get in touch with the gentleman that modded IZA's Plaster (Sorry i forgot your name)... He's in to �ber clean themes, and i think he would do Zion it's justice. Hang... His name is: Gerrit Vanoppen... it bothered me not having it in the post
Oops, missed this a month ago, sorry guys. Nevertheless, I'm flattered.
Unfortunately, I'm overwhelmed with work right now. It didn't keep me from dreaming though - we could take on Zion, but on the other hand I'm thinking Mondriaan, Rietveld as my inspiration for an abstract theme.

aManDrinksMilk
Oct 29, 2004, 08:05 AM

Oooooh... cool
"If believe that you are a man then you should be drinking milk."
-Me

FB Eye
Senior User
Oct 29, 2004, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by Gerrit Vanoppen:
Unfortunately, I'm overwhelmed with work right now. It didn't keep me from dreaming though - we could take on Zion, but on the other hand I'm thinking Mondriaan, Rietveld as my inspiration for an abstract theme.
Maybe I've been living under a rock for too long, but what's that Zion thing we're talking about?

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2004, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by FB Eye:
Maybe I've been living under a rock for too long, but what's that Zion thing we're talking about?
Zion, by NetworkShadow

FB Eye
Senior User
Oct 29, 2004, 09:36 AM

Zion, by NetworkShadow
Ooooh, funky

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 12:39 PM

No prob, if you feel like making it some time just give me a yell. I'm too busy to finish the mockup at the moment anyway.
click one

aManDrinksMilk
Oct 29, 2004, 03:36 PM

now THIS theme looks SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
"If believe that you are a man then you should be drinking milk."
-Me

Forum Links
Forum Rules