Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Extending WiFi with extra WiFi routers

Extending WiFi with extra WiFi routers
JaimesBeam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2009, 04:57 PM

I would like to extend the coverage of my home WiFi network. I have an Airport Extreme 802.11n+Gigabit Ethernet as my central router which connects to my cable modem.

Unfortunately I don't have a couple of Airport Express gadgets handy to extend my Airport/WiFi coverage. My house/etc is very long and narrow, so one Airport is not going to cover everything.

I do have a couple of other WiFi routers that should be able to function as WiFi access points to extend Internet WiFi access to my Office and Winery; a NetGear and a SMC 2804WBRP-G.

It seems that I should be able to set these two gadgets up two different ways that should work
to extend my WiFi coverage.

1) I should be able to connect one of these routers WAN port via ethernet to my Airport router (which routes/DHCP/manages the subnet 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0) and have it route/ DHCP/ manage a separate subnet 192.168.2.1/255.255.255.0) Each WLAN would route a separate subnet, and use DHCP to assign addresses to computers that appear on their subnet, and route Internet traffic back to the main AirportEx router. But this doesn't seem to work.

2) I should be able to disable DHCP on the secondary router, and only have the Airport hand out IP addresses. I should be able to disable routing, connect the Airport to the second router through one of the second routers LAN Ethernet ports, and have one subnet that covers all my local Ethernet and WiFi networks. But this doesn't seem to work either! Perhaps disabling routing on the second router isn't even necessary?

Any Ideas? Thanks, Jim!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2009, 06:59 PM

1) Is a path to a lot of pain and headaches.

2) Is the right way to do it.

What doesn't work about 2? Are your clients getting DHCP leases from the Airport? Does DNS work?

Forum Links
Forum Rules