Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 6 foot 6 inch dog on hind legs possible?!?!

6 foot 6 inch dog on hind legs possible?!?!
Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2008, 05:51 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...operation.html

WTF?

"Samson, who weighs in at just under 20 stone and stands 6ft 6in tall on his hind legs, is suffering after rupturing a cruciate ligament in his left hind leg."

A dog standing equal height to Michael Jordon on his hind legs?!? No way! Is this possible?

Rumor
Nov 1, 2008, 06:21 PM

Quite possible. A Great Dane or Irish Wolfhound could make that height.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Quite possible. A Great Dane or Irish Wolfhound could make that height.
And how... Reminds me of the time I was wandering around Dublin with a bunch of drunken Swedes and we ended up outside some burned out apartment building (though some of the lights were on and there were obviously people still living there) face to face with the biggest damned dog I've ever seen.

Fun times.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2008, 07:03 PM

Wowsers. 280 lbs. Newfoundlander and Great Dane mix.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2008, 07:27 PM

Dog in question:

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2008, 07:38 PM

P.S. The imperial system for weight truly does suck.

1 stone = 14 lbs = 224 oz? WTF?

Vote Dewey for prez and adopt the metric sys... err... oops... wrong country.

Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2008, 08:11 PM

I don't understand how anyone ever thought the imperial system was a good idea. The only conversion I know is 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard. Never even HEARD of a stone. And doesn't the UK use the metric system?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2008, 08:44 PM

In my experience, Brits use Imperial measure for every day things. If you ask a Brit how tall he is, he'll probably say 5'4" rather than 180 cm. For weight you'll get 13 stone or 180 lbs rather than ...er ...80 kilos? Beer, of course, is measured in imperial pints (as it damned well should be, lousy puny American pints), though for larger quantities of liquid volume you usually hear litres instead of gallons.

zro
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2008, 10:58 PM

All I know is that 19 stone is a whole lotta Rosie.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2008, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...operation.html

WTF?

"Samson, who weighs in at just under 20 stone and stands 6ft 6in tall on his hind legs, is suffering after rupturing a cruciate ligament in his left hind leg."

A dog standing equal height to Michael Jordon on his hind legs?!? No way! Is this possible?
thanks. next.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 2, 2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Beer, of course, is measured in imperial pints (as it damned well should be, lousy puny American pints)...
"It comes in pints?! I'm getting one!"

Of course EITHER pint is better than those puny 12oz cans or bottles. Not that most American beers are ever offered in pints of any kind, just that when you can get GOOD beer, you can almost always get it in a pint glass.

But I don't think our subject doggie is doing much standing on his hind legs at the moment; a ruptured cruciate ligament (either anterior or posterior) makes that sort of thing very painful. Poor doggie!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post

Of course EITHER pint is better than those puny 12oz cans or bottles. Not that most American beers are ever offered in pints of any kind, just that when you can get GOOD beer, you can almost always get it in a pint glass.

But I don't think our subject doggie is doing much standing on his hind legs at the moment; a ruptured cruciate ligament (either anterior or posterior) makes that sort of thing very painful. Poor doggie!
The only thing better than beer by the pint is beer by the Maß. I love Bavaria.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 2, 2008, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
NERD [/the office]

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2008, 05:07 PM

Anne Coulter is over 6ft on her hind legs.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 2, 2008, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
NERD [/the office]
Yup!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 3, 2008, 06:30 PM

[url]"Samson, who weighs in at just under 20 stone and stands 6ft 6in tall on his hind legs, is suffering after rupturing a cruciate ligament in his left hind leg."

Are you serious? Think about it -- even a regular labrador can easily reach your chest on its hind legs. It doesn't take that big a dog to be over 6 feet. It just has to be a long dog. I mean, a Great Dane is around 3 feet at the shoulders on all fours. It's gonna be well over twice that when standing on two legs.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2008, 06:38 PM

In my experience, Brits use Imperial measure for every day things. If you ask a Brit how tall he is, he'll probably say 5'4" rather than 180 cm. For weight you'll get 13 stone or 180 lbs rather than ...er ...80 kilos? Beer, of course, is measured in imperial pints (as it damned well should be, lousy puny American pints), though for larger quantities of liquid volume you usually hear litres instead of gallons.
Yeah its quite strange (I left 7 years ago, so things may have changed a bit). Any technical or engineering type subject will have metric units, but apart from that its usually imperial. But they did make it illegal to sell goods like fruit or veg in units of lbs and ozs a while ago. All the road signs are still in miles IIRC. In pubs its only beer that is served as an imperial measure, shorts and wine is a metric measure. Daft yes but besides the barrel, the pint (British pint) is the most important measure in human history.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2008, 08:38 PM

I don't know what kind of dog it is, but an acquaintance has a dog that looks like a giant wolf, and it stands about 4 ft on all-fours and probably close to 7 ft if it were standing. Prolly some sort of shepherd mix, it's legs are bigger than my arms!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2008, 11:58 PM

My almost 6 month old Saint B. pup is 5' on his hind legs. Not a big stretch to think of and extra 18" of vertical dog over that.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Apple Pro Underwear  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2008, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
My almost 6 month old Saint B. pup is 5' on his hind legs. Not a big stretch to think of and extra 18" of vertical dog over that.
Tooki and Rev-O,

I still don't believe it. I've been close to labs, I've seen huge drooling danes and etc at the park... I've never seen a dog sit on it's hind legs and tower over me. I'm under 6 feet tall. NEVER.

Do you mind taking a photo of yourself with your pup on it's hind legs with you next to it? You can blur your face out or whatever...

_________

i did a quick google and flickr search. Nothing that convinces me there either. Take this photo for instance:
http://flickr.com/photos/vamom7678/462396946/

according to the photo taker, the great dane is a 1/4" off the record. yet, standing up it's not even past the bottom of her bust! If he sat down, it would be about that same general area... certainly not over her head. I don't know how tall she is but she's definitely not Michael Jordan size.

now if you look at this pic I found on google... a mastiff... it can reach more than 6 ft but only if it's standing up.
http://www.mastiffgilardi.com/gestio...ff%20copia.jpg

i mean, if a cow sat down on it's butt I think it would be hard for it to be 6" 6'

zro
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2008, 03:17 AM

On his hind legs doesn't mean sitting on them. It means standing, much like the picture of the Mastiff you conjured up.

Look at the great dane pic. His hips are as high as the woman's. Can you honestly not see that were he to stand on his hind legs his head would be well over hers?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2008, 04:03 AM

now if you look at this pic I found on google... a mastiff... it can reach more than 6 ft but only if it's standing up.
http://www.mastiffgilardi.com/gestio...ff%20copia.jpg
Standing up "on its hind legs".

So when you said you were only 3'4" you were sitting at the time?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2008, 09:12 AM

Close, I've never had a brit give me his/her weight in lbs, and most don't even know how to do the conversion, it's either stone or kilos. Road signs and speed limits are still in miles, and cars are rated by MPG, although fuel is sold by the liter. As stated above, nothing but beer (or cider) is sold in pints (or half pints) in a pub. Although you order soft drinks in halfs or pints as that's the sizes of the glasses they generally have.

It's a screwy system, but it's part of the charm.

Apple Pro Underwear  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 01:21 AM

ahhh

ok, i see where me logic went wrong. dogs don't go on their hind legs so i wondered WTF? how do you even measure that accurately. part of it was also, who gives a shyt if a dog can stand on it's hind legs.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 04:36 AM

"who gives a shyt if a dog can stand on it's hind legs"

this dog:

more pictures

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 8, 2008, 12:38 AM

ok, i see where me logic went wrong. dogs don't go on their hind legs so i wondered WTF? how do you even measure that accurately. part of it was also, who gives a shyt if a dog can stand on it's hind legs.
Stop trying to poo-poo a real measurement to hide your own confusion.

If the articles -- and those of us responding to you -- had meant a dog sitting down, we'd have said "a dog sitting down". A dog standing on its hind legs means a dog with its hind legs extended and its front legs up in the air, like when they jump up to greet you. When standing on all fours, dogs are normally measured at the "withers" (the top of the shoulders), occasionally also the height to the top of the head. There's no need to measure a dog separately sitting down, since that'll be the same height as it on all fours.

So yes, dogs on their hind legs (only!) can easily exceed 6 feet. My dog (RIP) was 32" (less than 3 feet) measured to the top of his head, but on his hind legs he could easily put his front paws on my shoulders -- and I'm 5'6".

Forum Links
Forum Rules