Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini Core2's tomorrow?

Mac Mini Core2's tomorrow?
SLiMeX
Senior User
Jan 30, 2007, 12:00 AM

What does anyone/everyone think? According to MacRumors, it is quite possible. I hope so, because I have been holding out since Christmas to buy one. Maybe if not tomorrow, then February 20th?
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2007, 01:54 AM

i want one too!

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2007, 03:12 AM

What would have a 64bit chip in a mini help you do?

What I would like to see (although I consider this very unlikely; perhaps the the $799 model) Is an upgrade to 1 GB RAM standard.
Linkinus is king.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2007, 04:49 AM

I don't see why the mini really needs a C2D CPU right now. I think in terms of sales lowering the price back to its original $499 entry level would be of more benefit.

That said, several sites claim the rumors about the Jan 30 intro has to do with a $79 product. So that would be a shuffle (RED maybe?), iLife or iWork.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2007, 05:46 AM

The mini needs to be cheaper not faster.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2007, 08:44 AM

The Apple Store is down now.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2007, 09:43 AM

Indeed, it was just an iPod shuffle update.

quiklee
Senior User
Jan 30, 2007, 04:34 PM

harsh . . . i was hoping for an updated mac mini with wireless n!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

SLiMeX  (op)
Senior User
Jan 30, 2007, 04:54 PM

I as well!

Oh well, I can still dream.....

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2007, 02:57 AM

Wireless N would indeed Make the Mini quite nice for streaming HD to your TV...
Linkinus is king.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2007, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
Wireless N would indeed Make the Mini quite nice for streaming HD to your TV...
Talk about it! I had to pull Cat5 through have of my place to connect the mini driving my projector to the file server with my ripped DVDs. It would be really nice if the mini would support n so I can get rid of the ugly cable.

SLiMeX  (op)
Senior User
Feb 1, 2007, 04:35 PM

So realistically, when does anyone/everyone expect the update?

I guess I might be killing the subject, but I just dont know how much long I can wait!

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2007, 05:03 PM

I'm in the market for one myself as it's time to retire my super-tanker Athlon 2400+ and use Boot Camp or Parallels for the very few times I actually need Windows. It'll also be a great backup machine if I need to get the MacBook worked on (heck...it'll be almost identical). All I need is a mini with some RAM...I have a large external USB hard drive, an Apple USB keyboard, and a cheapie Dell 19" LCD display I got from a friend for $100 ready-and-waiting.

I assume the holdup is some kind of redesign to make the Mac mini pre-802.11n-happy (different internal antenna layout (wikipedia link) or something like that). Or Apple is just getting the Core Duo processor for cheap.

And even if it's announced I may hold on to find out about Leopard. The best scenario is to buy the mini when Leopard is announced and maybe get a coupon for Leopard. God I'm cheap...

Voch

t500
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2007, 06:13 PM

I would like to see a mini with some more juice. I have a 1.66 CD now. I woulk like to see something with Imac like specs without a monitor....

How about a smaller Mac Pro with one processor.. How about the return of the Mac!

Ken_F2
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2007, 06:35 PM

As noted in other threads, Intel cuts the price of Core2 processors by up to 40+% on March 22. You would see it in the Mini after that.

mike322
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2007, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ken_F2 View Post
As noted in other threads, Intel cuts the price of Core2 processors by up to 40+% on March 22. You would see it in the Mini after that.
wow god is playing tricks with me like if he wants me to wait it out for this mini with C2D march 22nd is my birthday
MBP C2D 2.33 ghz

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2007, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by t500 View Post
I woulk like to see something with Imac like specs without a monitor....

How about a smaller Mac Pro with one processor.. How about the return of the Mac!
Yes please!
tin pot, garden shed

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 11:29 AM

I, too, think the mini needs a price drop more than a speed boost right now. Though Apple does need to get 802.11n into the entire Mac line. Anyway, assuming that price drop from Intel really is coming, we might be able to get both. That'd be sweet.

SLiMeX  (op)
Senior User
Feb 2, 2007, 05:04 PM

So which Core2's would be price dropped?

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 05:14 PM

While an update to the Mini is imminent, I'll be waiting until Leopard ships before purchasing. By that time, iLife should also be updated, so I may as well wait until everything I plan to use has been refreshed...save some bucks.

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 05:23 PM

I'm concerned that there will NOT be a price drop. Before you all start screaming "How can Apple do this to us!" etc. consider that the Mac mini is both a low-end Mac for first-time purchasers, folks who want a second Mac, or don't want too many bells-and-whistles on a Mac as well as a strategically-priced enticement for purchasers to give in to the next model up in price (namely the iMac or MacBook).

I'm sure Apple is very, very careful with the specifications that go into each generation of Mac mini. This makes me chuckle whenever I see the complaint posts about lack of dedicated graphics or PCIe slot or whatever. Apple knows this and wants you to buy *up*.

That said, I'd be happy with a processor speed bump for my needs. It'd be extra gravy for the few times I use it to DiVX a video in Boot Camp/Windows and not much else above what one can do now. A price drop with the current specifications is also acceptable I guess (but I wouldn't be angry if we got both).

Voch

bearcatrp
Senior User
Feb 2, 2007, 07:01 PM

If your in a hurry, just buy and core solo mini and drop a core 2 duo in it. Check out the post in Team macnn forum. Same bus speed. He said the temp has gone up but within specs. I'll be doing this when my warrenty expires.
Randy
( Last edited by bearcatrp; Feb 2, 2007 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Added a word)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by t500 View Post
It would be nice, but Apple likes forcing people who want expansion card upgradability to pay through the nose, so it's not going to happen.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jandrewwalker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2007, 02:09 AM

If Apple seriously wants to make a dent into increasing its marketshare, it will have to offer expandability in a mid range tower. Currently, it is the only section of the market that Apple does not have a competitive product. If Apple is able to offer one and it gains traction, think of the possibilities it will have in the 3rd party accessory market. Maybe Apple users will finally be able to purchase expansion cards and other .mac compatable accessories without having to pay a Mac financial penalty to do so. Since the high end Mac Pro market serves mostly professionals plus a few hard core users with disposable income, a successful mid-range product stands the best chance to expand Apple's market share even further. Apple is doing well in the notebook segment and with the iMac, it just needs to gain some traction in the towers. Anway that's my 2 cents.

P
Feb 3, 2007, 08:34 AM

The gain in the Mac mini having a Core 2 Duo is very minor at this point. The way to bring it closer to the performance of an iMac would be to improve the GPU. A price drop would be more important, but Apple could do both if they could squeeze a desktop model Core 2 (the E4300 runs very cool) in there instead.

As for "I want a Mac Tower"... this forum is full of threads discussing that. Use the search button. Please don't bring it up here again.

P
Feb 3, 2007, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX View Post
So which Core2's would be price dropped?
As far as has been revealed, only the desktop models. Intel's updating the mobile line with low-power models, but so far no price drops have been announced.

SLiMeX  (op)
Senior User
Feb 4, 2007, 02:25 AM

So, I was also thinking, how cool would it be if they released a black Mac Mini that was lower priced AND with faster processors!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2007, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX View Post
So, I was also thinking, how cool would it be if they released a black Mac Mini that was lower priced AND with faster processors!
I don't know how cool that would be, but I know it's extremely unlikely. Apple is using black on the high end (the better MB, the highest capacity nano) and charging extra for it. I see no reason why they should suddenly also use it on the low end or even discount it. If anything there'd be a $799 black mini with the specs of the $599 mini.

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2007, 10:19 AM

A larger format w/3.5" hard drive were rumoured long ago - this might also tie in to the larger iTV form factor & video downloads, although I agree lowering the cost would seem beneficial for the line too to compete with PCs...
When? ASAP pleeeease!

SLiMeX  (op)
Senior User
Feb 4, 2007, 10:42 AM

Hey, I just thought it would be a cool thing to happen.

And we all know those same people (including myself) who bought the black Macbooks would buy the black Mini's as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules