Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 47)
starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Immediately I think of animal crossing.
Beat me to it.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 01:36 PM

I should keep a running score of often we say that.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 02:20 PM

What audio out does the Wii have? Regular white and red or optical?
(I was wondering about availability of optical and component ports on my receiver)

ink
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2006, 02:36 PM

Nope, it has RCA jacks. The best it can do is Dolby stereo.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 03:50 PM

Lets hope this isn't true but knowing Nintendo it is:
Wii Mario & Metroid, DS Zelda in late '07 - Joystiq

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Apparently the data will be available for use in games. So the local weather can be reflected in a game. I think that's a cool idea.
Cool, perhaps, but I'm not sure how good it really is, to be honest. The big problem with tying in-game events to real-world conditions is just that: suddenly parts of the game are determined by things you can't control, and which tend to last for hours or even days.

In the case of weather patterns, quite a few games feature their own weather systems, but lock certain features (items or even whole levels) unless it's raining in-game. If such games were to tie their weather to the real world and a drought happened to hit, gamers would suddenly find themselves unable to access these features for weeks at a time. That's not very enjoyable. Worse still would be a game where certain things can only happen when it's snowing: what happens to a gamer in Texas, which can go a year or more without ever seeing snow?

Of course, you can get around this by uncoupling these things from the weather. But once you do that, you reduce the impact that weather can really have in your game: suddenly it becomes just a piece of fluff. It's cool fluff, to be sure, but you've taken an interesting system and made it not just obsolete, but outright harmful to use in a game. Is that really innovation?
( Last edited by Millennium; Dec 19, 2006 at 05:07 PM. )
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 04:29 PM

You make such a feature an option, but I guess that would completely undermine its value.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
Cool, perhaps, but I'm not sure how good it really is, to be honest. The big problem with tying in-game events to real-world conditions is just that: suddenly parts of the game are determined by things you can't control, and which tend to last for hours or even days.
I remember a couple last gen games did something like that with the time of day. Can't remember what exactly though but I think it was one of the Rouge games on GC.

The PS3 menu system is cool as it changes colour depending on the time of day. Evenings it is darker colours. The PSP's only changes by month but either way I love the idea.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 05:03 PM

In the case of weather patterns, quite a few games feature their own weather systems, but lock certain features (items or even whole levels) unless it's raining in-game. If such games were to tie their weather to the real world and a drought happened to hit, gamers would suddenly find themselves unable to access these features for weeks at a time. That's not very enjoyable.

Of course, you can get around this by uncoupling these things from the weather. But once you do that, you reduce the impact that weather can really have in your game: suddenly it becomes just a piece of fluff. It's cool fluff, to be sure, but you've taken an interesting system and made it not just obsolete, but outright harmful to use in a game. Is that really innovation?
Does it really make a difference if it's random or not? The only time it could be a problem is if it rains for days or is sunny for days, but I think it's a great idea.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I remember a couple last gen games did something like that with the time of day. Can't remember what exactly though but I think it was one of the Rouge games on GC.

The PS3 menu system is cool as it changes colour depending on the time of day. Evenings it is darker colours. The PSP's only changes by month but either way I love the idea.
The only thing I can remember is that NFS: HP2 used to use the current time on the surveillance recroding when you got pulled over.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 05:28 PM

The only thing I can remember is that NFS: HP2 used to use the current time on the surveillance recroding when you got pulled over.
"Rebel Strike encourages you to play at all times during the day as different events may happen at different times and some can only be unlocked during specific times."

http://www.dreamstation.cc/reviews/g..._squadron_iii/

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 05:38 PM

To follow up on Millennium's point on it probably not working, let's not forget that Animal Crossing had similar problems with it's working with time. Often times people were playing too late that all the characters were asleep or shops all closed.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 05:44 PM

I think it is a neat idea but I don't really see the point. If I am sitting at home in Toronto Canada and it is raining does making it rain in Hyrule field at the same time make things any more "real" to me? No.

If I was playing a racing game that took place in Toronto and realtime weather was in the game THAT would be cool but pretty much all of them let you adjust weather manually in racing games anyway.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 05:49 PM

Why does it have to be more "real"? Some people may think it's cool, and if it can be implemented to add character to a game, why not?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I think it is a neat idea but I don't really see the point. If I am sitting at home in Toronto Canada and it is raining does making it rain in Hyrule field at the same time make things any more "real" to me? No.
If it shares a commonality with real life, sure.

Look at this way. Its a funny thought when you get up on a weekend, look outside, see it raining, and think, "Boy, Hyrule Fields gonna be a soggy mess."

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2006, 05:55 PM

Well what about the people that live in certain climates like utter heat or cold? I'm assuming you would have the option of turning that off.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 06:51 PM

Weather channel, news channel, web browser, DVD playback..... all get a big "meh" from me.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Well what about the people that live in certain climates like utter heat or cold? I'm assuming you would have the option of turning that off.
**** them. You wanna play video games move to a real climate, ass.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Does it really make a difference if it's random or not?
Randomness isn't the point: the point is that real-life conditions don't change quickly enough to be conducive to most kinds of gaming, and in some locales the conditions never (or almost never) touch on all of the options the game provides. So if you want to make a game that mirrors real-life conditions, you can't have those conditions do anything significant, or you risk locking players out of certain features or having them constantly facing some form of obstacle that's only supposed to appear periodically.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2006, 08:29 PM

No one ever said that it would effect gameplay - all I said was that the weather in game could gather data from the weather channel. It doesn't have to be linked to unlocking features or anything like that...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 08:45 PM

I actually thought it would have been cool when AC was first released, but I can see your point.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2006, 10:12 PM

If it's gray and rainy outside, do you really want to sit down on your couch and look at more gray, dreary weather on the TV? I think games should make the weather in-game the opposite of actual weather... Raining outside? Nice and sunny in the game. Hot outside? Throw in some rain showers to cool you down

"I start fires!"

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2006, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3 View Post
If it's gray and rainy outside, do you really want to sit down on your couch and look at more gray, dreary weather on the TV? I think games should make the weather in-game the opposite of actual weather... Raining outside? Nice and sunny in the game. Hot outside? Throw in some rain showers to cool you down
OK so what we need is some options:

(•) Ignore real-time weather
( ) Use real-time weather
. [ ] Invert weather

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2006, 05:47 AM

Recommendation for channels:
-Wii, NDS, GBA games release schedule
-Game trailers

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2006, 09:06 AM

Looks like Madden '07 is already using the weather channel data in the game.
The Weather keeps coming...(For those who have madden READ THIS) - General Wii Discussion - Nintendo NSider Forums

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2006, 10:01 AM

"I start fires!"

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2006, 10:07 AM

I was begging itai to do that earlier.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Dec 20, 2006, 10:20 AM

I'm really disappointed in the wii , it's basically a cop out by nintendo imo.

They're unwilling or probably incapable of taking on the techno might of sony and ms , so they just regurgitate the same tired cliche ridden dross as before.

Cutesy kiddy graphics and lame tech specs , it's pathetic imo. The best game on the system is super mario 64 , and that's on the virtual console.

I plugged mine into my sony 40" lcd and compared it to an xbox 360 via component , it's inexcusable for a company like nintendo to manufacture such a laughably incompetent piece of total junk , you might have got away with it in 1996 , but in 2006 , no way.

zro
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2006, 10:31 AM

People like you are funny.

I find the Wii to be a friggin' awesome gaming experience.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2006, 10:33 AM

Go buy a PS3. I'll be having fun instead of counting all the polygons on the screen.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 20, 2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by eddiecatflap View Post
I'm really disappointed in the wii , it's basically a cop out by nintendo imo.
Why did you buy one in the first place?

By the way, you don't have to put a space both before and after your commas. Just one after.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2006, 10:35 AM

Wow, an unexpected Grammar Nazi assault.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 20, 2006, 10:36 AM

You're telling me that doesn't bother you?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2006, 10:37 AM

Not really. Bad spelling is far, far worse.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2006, 12:50 PM

I wish the Anti-Wii People would get over it. Cripes, anyone that bought a Wii thinking it would come close to the power and capabilities of a PS3 or XBOX deserves to be disappointed.

IT WAS NEVER BILLED AS BEING THE BEST IN SPECS. Why is it so hard for people to grasp this concept?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Dec 20, 2006, 01:27 PM

"By the way, you don't have to put a space both before and after your commas. Just one after."

Btw , you should've used a comma after commas (sic) , not a full stop, it's better English.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 20, 2006, 02:14 PM

Just trying to help, dude.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Dec 20, 2006, 02:23 PM

I'm only joking , mate.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2006, 04:36 PM

So what? It's always raining, snowing, sunning, and nighting somewhere. As long as the game doesn't punish you for fiddling with your location...
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2006, 06:17 PM

Looks like Madden is using the weather at the stadium when you play, not the weather at your home. Which is VERY cool IMO.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2006, 09:21 PM

Ok, who knew about the special Limited Edition TP Strategy Guide with the gold leaf and hardcover?

/ordered

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2006, 09:33 PM

I was going to comment about how strategy guides are a waste of money, especially with gamefaqs.com out there. Then I googled and found images of this guide - holy crap it looks awesome!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 20, 2006, 09:54 PM

It's apparently reduced to $9.99 at Best Buy now. Unfortunately mine didn't have any.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2006, 02:38 AM

In the case of weather patterns, quite a few games feature their own weather systems, but lock certain features (items or even whole levels) unless it's raining in-game. If such games were to tie their weather to the real world and a drought happened to hit, gamers would suddenly find themselves unable to access these features for weeks at a time. That's not very enjoyable. Worse still would be a game where certain things can only happen when it's snowing: what happens to a gamer in Texas, which can go a year or more without ever seeing snow?

Just change your location to get around it.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2006, 03:50 AM

I was begging itai to do that earlier.
I have cats, it's just too risky

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2006, 03:45 AM

Broke my first Wii-mote strap today...

My friend's Wii-mote too. I felt terrible.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2006, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
Broke my first Wii-mote strap today...

My friend's Wii-mote too. I felt terrible.
Next time try wiping the sweat off your hands when they get sweaty, maybe that would help you stop throwing the controller.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Dec 22, 2006, 03:53 AM

I found a way of making the picture look acceptable on the wii , you have to use 4 x 3 not 16 x 9 as the 640 x 480 or so native wii res isn't actualy widescreen unless you use component

In RGB and composite it's normal tv ratio , it makes a big difference , and even zelda is almost viewable.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2006, 08:18 AM

I still don't see how people are breaking these things. I use mine every day for a couple of hours.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2006, 08:42 AM

posting from my wii

Forum Links
Forum Rules