Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New iPod this week!

New iPod this week!
mathew_m
Senior User
Apr 21, 2003, 12:35 AM

I'm not 100% but the Apple store is currently showing the 5 gig model as being out of stock which means it will probably be discontinued. The 10 and 20 gig models both show a 5 -10 day waiting period. I checked Amazon and they show both models as discontinued.

I'm guessing tomorrow or tuesday we'll see the 10 gig on the low end with the 20 in the middle and probably 40 for the high end. New features are anybody's guess. An audio input is probably the most desired feature and one I would like for easy transfer of my vinyl collection. A few more games would be cool too.

I'm currently happy with my 10 gig though I still think the thing drains the batter too quickly.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2003, 12:45 AM

I don't have an iPod (yet), but what do you mean by a few more games would be nice? I didn't know there are games . . . and now I really want one (a 40gb one).

Truepop
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 12:47 AM

we have block out or knock out or whatever it is called I think it is just single-player pong.

mathew_m  (op)
Senior User
Apr 21, 2003, 12:52 AM

The classic paddle game Breakout is included. It was once an Easter Egg that later was included under the Extras menu. I think Steve Jobs was one of the original programmers for the Atari and Breakout was one of his games.

The new trackpad sucks compared to the old scroll wheel on the 5 gig model for playing Breakout though. Actually no action games would play that well with the trackpad. I was thinking more along the lines of blackjack or any menu driven game. Choose Your Own Adventure style Audible books would be cool.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2003, 04:57 AM

Originally posted by mathew_m:
TI think Steve Jobs was one of the original programmers for the Atari and Breakout was one of his games.

you got the wrong steve there.

-r.

dav
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 08:27 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of blackjack

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2003, 08:36 AM

Actually they will be here next Monday the 28th. Maccentral got a Special invitation for 4/28/03...Article

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 11:16 AM

I'm not 100% but the Apple store is currently showing the 5 gig model as being out of stock which means it will probably be discontinued. The 10 and 20 gig models both show a 5 -10 day waiting period. I checked Amazon and they show both models as discontinued.

I'm guessing tomorrow or tuesday we'll see the 10 gig on the low end with the 20 in the middle and probably 40 for the high end. New features are anybody's guess. An audio input is probably the most desired feature and one I would like for easy transfer of my vinyl collection. A few more games would be cool too.

I'm currently happy with my 10 gig though I still think the thing drains the batter too quickly.
Maybe.... NEXT WEEK ;-)

And the 5 Gig has been out of stock for 6 months... I wouldn't let that be an indicator.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2003, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:

you got the wrong steve there.

-r.
I think the story was that Steve Jobs sold the program (and maybe contributed to it in some way) while Woz did the actual programming. Apparently Steve Jobs sort of screwed Woz by selling it for a lot more than he gave him.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2003, 01:40 PM

Space invaders would rock, as long as there was an update for the old iPods too
we don't have time to stop for gas

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2003, 01:45 PM

Jobs promised Atari a kick-ass game, but knew he couldn't deliver in the time frame he promised. He got Woz to do it for him, saying he'd split the money he got for it 50/50, but the figure he gave Woz was about 1/5th of the actual payout. Woz finished Breakout, gave it to Steve, who gave it to Atari.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 02:30 PM

<overloads on iPod rumor threads>
Aiiiieeeeeeee!

(Just kidding!)

n~s
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2003, 07:37 PM

Finally. I hope the wait was worth it! I've been holding back for a while. C'mon price drops/increased value/new features!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2003, 04:23 AM

New iPod design, with new software that lets you run software. also the new software can be loaded onto the old iPods
I can't afford another �300 for a new iPod, dont forget about them Apple!!!
we don't have time to stop for gas

Tom Campbell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2003, 04:34 PM

i was gonna make new thread but this seems just as good as any, so i have been wiating to buy an ipod for a while now but have been waiting for the update/ cheaper price as i was just burned to the tune of $1300 on my power mac three weeks after getting it with those price drops...sooo anyways, whats the chances of having the ability to record? i dont really care about a color screen and i hope they keep the design the same as i really like the current one. ( well unles sthey can for sure make it cooler) anyhow what other design additions might they make?

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2003, 07:15 AM

What about aluminium or titanium iPods ?

DakRT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2003, 03:47 PM

I have a question about Ipods in general.... Can you use the ipod as a portable hd along with it being an mp3 player? That would be a neat feature if it does that...
DakRT

derekn
Senior User
Apr 23, 2003, 04:42 PM

Yup you can, you used to be able to use it as a bootup drive too on systems that supported it. Apple apparently feels that isn't really necessary anymore I guess. LOL iPods a versatile little device.

Forum Links
Forum Rules