Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Here we go again...

Here we go again...
subego
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2016, 11:39 PM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2016, 12:32 AM

They (whoever is doing this) needed more $. I wish I was kidding.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

mindwaves
May 19, 2016, 07:56 AM

Horrible news. It just disappeared like MH370, which is still missing. Luckily, the Mediterranean Sea is relatively small and well-charted, which should make looking for the plane relatively easy (I sure hope so) relative to MH370 which was lost somewhere in the Indian Ocean (or somewhere else).

Terrorist attack is my best guess (bomb or blown out of sky). I am guessing bomb because terrorist groups (not to be confused with Russian rebels) don't have the capability to blow a plane out of the sky that is still flying over the ocean.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2016, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
They (whoever is doing this) needed more $. I wish I was kidding.
I feel this needs more explanation.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2016, 04:11 PM

It's been speculated that some group is silently hijacking these, killing all the passengers, and parting out the planes (and people) with ruthless efficiency, presumably to fund something even worse or just to, you know, make themselves very wealthy. An airliner that's sold for parts on the black market can yield $50M-150M and the passengers are worth $100k-500k each; kidneys, liver, heart, eyes, etc.. All combined, this plane w/ passengers is worth ~$100M.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2016, 05:03 PM

Breaking news from CNN is that EgyptAir is now saying that the debris found in the Mediterranean Sea earlier today is NOT from Flight 804. So at this stage in the game the plane is officially still missing.

OAW

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 19, 2016, 05:52 PM

It's been speculated that some group is silently hijacking these, killing all the passengers, and parting out the planes (and people) with ruthless efficiency, presumably to fund something even worse or just to, you know, make themselves very wealthy. An airliner that's sold for parts on the black market can yield $50M-150M and the passengers are worth $100k-500k each; kidneys, liver, heart, eyes, etc.. All combined, this plane w/ passengers is worth ~$100M.
or, more likely, Egypt Airs incredibly patchy safety record.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

mindwaves
May 20, 2016, 04:46 AM

It was possibly due to the pilot's action that caused the demise of the plane. According to this picture, it is highly unlikely that a bomb would cause a plane to do this action.

That doesn't mean that the plane wasn't hijacked, but because no distress signal was sent out, it is looking mightily suspicious.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2016, 07:43 AM

ghporter
Administrator
May 22, 2016, 10:28 AM

That's an interesting concept, but not terribly feasible - unless you have a HUGE infrastructure that includes armies of trained aircraft technicians (and of course surgeons who have absolutely no scruples). Flying below 10,000 in the region we're talking about (without being visually spotted and tracked), navigating to a sufficient landing location (not a desert - airliners need nice, big, solid runways), and then disposing of the ill gotten gains requires way more "back office" capability than most governments can manage.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's implausible in the extreme. Good movie premise though...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ham Sandwich
May 22, 2016, 09:07 PM

So did something inside catch fire?
Doomed EgyptAir jet sent smoke-alarm warnings

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2016, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
That's an interesting concept, but not terribly feasible - unless you have a HUGE infrastructure that includes armies of trained aircraft technicians (and of course surgeons who have absolutely no scruples). Flying below 10,000 in the region we're talking about (without being visually spotted and tracked), navigating to a sufficient landing location (not a desert - airliners need nice, big, solid runways), and then disposing of the ill gotten gains requires way more "back office" capability than most governments can manage.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's implausible in the extreme. Good movie premise though...
I don't believe it's as hard as people want to believe, if some friends and I can figure all the logistics for this within a couple hours over cold beer (morbid but entertaining), much more devious and resourceful minds could do the same and make it work.

and yeah, I'm thinking about a script, maybe for a Bond movie.

mindwaves
May 23, 2016, 01:46 AM

The smoke warnings could just have been the result of internal electronics failing and starting a fire as opposed to a bomb or a missile.

I really hope that it was some sort of catastrophic mechanical failure as opposed to a terrorist attack (which would be claimed by such an organization already). I think that that this is the lesser evil of the two, and Airbus can examine the evidence and remedy the issue.

reader50
Administrator
May 23, 2016, 02:59 AM

Hear, hear. I'm tired of the terrorist reason too, and officials over-reacting to same. Let it be an electrical fault or improperly-shipped batteries.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2016, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
improperly-shipped batteries.
Shipped by a terrorist.

Wait... dammit, no!

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
May 24, 2016, 07:04 PM

I don't believe it's as hard as people want to believe, if some friends and I can figure all the logistics for this within a couple hours over cold beer (morbid but entertaining), much more devious and resourceful minds could do the same and make it work.

and yeah, I'm thinking about a script, maybe for a Bond movie.

And then reality sets in; aircraft parts are serialized. Selling parts from a hijacked commercial jet would put you in the scope of authorities in about five minutes.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2016, 07:47 PM

Can you have an "off book" plane?

As in, a plane used to transport whatever, registered to no government, and landing at some of the world's more dubious (and potentially also off-book) airstrips?

Showing up on radar is a problem. How easy is it to spoof a transponder?

ghporter
Administrator
May 24, 2016, 08:00 PM

I can figure out the logistics with a notepad and a ginger ale. It's implementing the logistics. Finding an airfield that's big enough, with all the elbow room you'd need to take an airplane apart, but nobody is near enough to notice it is there is a major problem. And as was noted, aircraft parts are serialized; there is a definite and solid paper trail for every part of an airliner.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2016, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
And then reality sets in; aircraft parts are serialized.
Those can be altered, there's a sizeable black market for plane parts. That's kind of the whole reason why we started talking about it in the first place...

mindwaves
May 25, 2016, 04:25 AM

I'm surprised that the plane hasn't been found yet. Considering the relative close proximity to land and the fact that boats have been sailing in those waters for thousands of years, finding an airplane with the black boxes emitting a sound should be easy (in theory). In reality, I suppose not so easy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules