Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iChat -- high fidelity audio chat, possible?

iChat -- high fidelity audio chat, possible?
mac freak
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 09:44 PM

Question:
I have a band with a guitarist who these days, unfortunately, lives about 1000 miles away from myself and the other member. What's cool is, GarageBand 3 supports direct recording from iChat; he can plug in his guitar, set it to be iChat's "microphone," I hit record, and I can literally record his raw guitar tracks directly into GarageBand from across the country. Thing is, the quality from a normal iChat stream is less than stellar. Is there any way to force iChat to send higher-bitrate streams? We wouldn't be using these recordings as finals by any means, but it'd be nice to have higher-quality placeholders until the summer when we can all work in the same room.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I'm doubtful, but hell, it's worth a shot.
Be happy.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2006, 10:18 PM

iChat, great though it is, is never going to be able to send good quality audio like that.
You could try (Or rather your friend) Apples QuickTime broadcaster. Its free, and can transmit at a variety of bit rates, and in stereo too.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 10:31 PM

I think for best results he will have to record his end alone and then send it to you. I just don't see and streaming method that will work well enough for you.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2006, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon
I think for best results he will have to record his end alone and then send it to you. I just don't see and streaming method that will work well enough for you.

It would be possible to get a high enough quality stream, but the biggest problem you will have is latency. You won't be able to get a low enough round-trip latency for both sides to be able to play music together.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules