Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Counter Strike on Macs

Counter Strike on Macs
ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2003, 12:14 PM

Seems the ONLY reason EVERYONE i know won't use macs is for the one reason: no counterstrike.
Is there something missing from the Mac that makes it impossible for Sierra to port it? Or do they just lack funding for this platform and don't bother?

xyber233
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2003, 01:07 PM

I thought Sierra was making a mac version before but scrapped the project because the mac and pc versions weren't going to be compatible? I could be wrong...

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2003, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
Or do they just lack funding for this platform and don't bother?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

redJag
Senior User
Feb 23, 2003, 01:21 PM

More like this platform lacks the funds, not them. They would do it if they could make money from it and they feel that they wouldn't.

cutterjohn
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2003, 05:39 PM

the most consistent versiont hat I have heard was:

a) Halflife mac was ready to go golden master

b) the idiots couldn't get the multiplayer version to talk to the winblows version

c) Sierra cancelled it because of (b)

Actually I play Halflife TFC & DoD, can't stand counterstrike personally any more. It's one of the only reasons I keep around a windoze box any more, along with Wizardry 8, Morrowind, and a few other RPGs that are only available under windoze, or some other M$ box. Also I dual boot BeOS on that machine as well.

The worst thing about the mac & games is all that ever gets ported is garbage like a million FPSs excepting the one good one. i.e. one that is still fun to play almost 4 years later, and has the best multiplayer experience. Also we get simcrap stuff too, but I got tired of that about 9 years ago. Oh yeah, lest I forget the world's most boring MMORPG is also on the mac: Clanbored. (Unlike others it starts boring and never gets better, whereas the others start ok then rapidly get boring.)

a2daj
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2003, 08:56 PM

These are facts, not rumors:

1. The Mac client at one point COULD play against the PC version, but Sierra/Valve told the Mac porters to nix Mac/PC networking.

2. Sierra/Valve didn't want to have to pay for the Mac port to be updated as often as the PC version. They didn't want to have to put up with Mac users complaining about feature parity so they axed it before it was finished.

Stop spreading the ill informed rumors please.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by a2daj:

1. The Mac client at one point COULD play against the PC version, but Sierra/Valve told the Mac porters to nix Mac/PC networking.

2. Sierra/Valve didn't want to have to pay for the Mac port to be updated as often as the PC version. They didn't want to have to put up with Mac users complaining about feature parity so they axed it before it was finished.

Just curious but where did you learn that? Just I have never heard that story b4.

Cheers Edd

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2003, 07:39 PM

a2daj is 100% correct.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2003, 07:51 PM

Sierra used to be very Mac friendly.

Pity.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 08:34 PM

Wow, those bastards .

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Feb 24, 2003, 09:49 PM

*shakes fist at Sierra

Originally posted by a2daj:

Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

a2daj
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 06:24 AM

Well first off, Google is your friend. Second, I was keeping very close tabs to what was going on with the Half-Life development and read every Mac Half-Life news item out there. I remember reading about how Andrew Meggs (the guy doing the port at Logicware) had PC-Mac networking, and then a couple of weeks later, some German Mac gaming site broke the story about Half-Life being Mac/Mac only.

Also, if anyone needs a quick refresher, doing a search on Google for mac half life brings up all kinds of info.
Here's an interview with Andrew Meggs. One section is specifically about Half Life (near the bottom):
http://www.macgamer.com/interviews/meggs/meggs1.html

Here's a link to the open letter explaining Valve's decision:

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/...halflife.shtml

There use to be a lot more links full of info. I use to cut and paste 8 links but most have disappeared.

ksuther
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2003, 08:45 AM

You're NEVER going to see Half-Life come to the Mac or OS X, so quit your dreaming . The game is pushing more than three years old now, and there is NO incentive for anyone to port it now.

You can cry all you about how it was almost done and all, but it's not going to make things any better.

If you really need something similar to CS, try TacOps, even though it's not quite as good. Or wait for UT2k3 and a good tactial mod to come out

ryju  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2003, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by ksuther:
You're NEVER going to see Half-Life come to the Mac or OS X, so quit your dreaming . The game is pushing more than three years old now, and there is NO incentive for anyone to port it now.

You can cry all you about how it was almost done and all, but it's not going to make things any better.

If you really need something similar to CS, try TacOps, even though it's not quite as good. Or wait for UT2k3 and a good tactial mod to come out
no need to be bitter cuz you can't get what you want.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2003, 04:44 PM

I saw a little while ago, a mod project where some kids had brought all the CS maps, models and guns into the qauke 1 engine if u can belive it, and it looks pretty damn good, they where working on a few special effets but ti was looking nice, so i have no idea what it was called but its a start, so go looking for it. and if its made any prgress such as a demo let me know. but i must say if u want a more realistic and faster pasted CS, check out urban terror.net for quake 3

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2003, 06:48 PM

It really is old news now.

It was built using the half life engine (an ehanced version of the quake 2 engine), and compared with 3d shooters of today, such as medal of honour, rtcw, and soldier of fortune 2, its really not worth talking about anymore.

Its a shame that we missed it. Mac users have been stuffed around with regards to games (look at the patch issues for q3 and rtcw; we couldnt play online for 6 months).

Moh:aa has been a real success story for aspyr though. It was released soon after the pc version, and we have (touchwood) been able to play it online with our pc friends since it came out. Performance is decent, and in terms of depth of gameplay, it really is an excellent shooter.

The future of mac gaming will greatly depend upon mac's market performance and the number of titles that are sold of each game.

I love my macs, but when it comes to gaming, I choose xbox.
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2003, 07:05 PM

its a totally **** game dont know what anyone sees in it, bored me to death when i had a pc

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 02:22 PM

Why can't you install Linux and run the CS version of Linux on your mac?

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 3, 2003, 05:05 PM

AFAIK, the Linux version is only a server.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2003, 05:11 PM

Counterstrike is the best first person multiplayer game. Period.

Except Marathon, which I had something to do with...

Anyway, I know a LOT of people who won't use or buy macs because of no Counterstrike/Day of defeat. It's a shame really. It's the only reason I have a PC at home (well, I use it for work too).

Apple would have made the money back and helped the sliding marketshare if THEY had payed to port CS to the mac and to keep it up to date.

As for the engine being old. It's the gameplay stupid.

I don't care how antiquated it looks. It's amazingly fun. same reason some people still play marathon.

FB2

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2003, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by freakboy2:
Counterstrike is the best first person multiplayer game. Period.

Except Marathon, which I had something to do with...

Anyway, I know a LOT of people who won't use or buy macs because of no Counterstrike/Day of defeat. It's a shame really. It's the only reason I have a PC at home (well, I use it for work too).

Apple would have made the money back and helped the sliding marketshare if THEY had payed to port CS to the mac and to keep it up to date.

As for the engine being old. It's the gameplay stupid.

I don't care how antiquated it looks. It's amazingly fun. same reason some people still play marathon.

FB2
I bought a PC for counter strike then gave it to my little sister.

I might build one now...

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2003, 06:26 AM

Hi!
I have never played Counterstrike, but from what I've heard, it's pretty similar to the Tactical Ops Unreal mod, which works nicely in a mixed Mac/PC network.

ryju  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2003, 07:02 PM

The only reason I'm currently using a PC (other than for work) is for counter strike. it's surprisingly addicted and I can actually join in with my PC friends. It would just be more convenient to have it on my mac. Since it's graphics card is much better than my PCs. And more RAM.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
The only reason I'm currently using a PC (other than for work) is for counter strike. it's surprisingly addicted and I can actually join in with my PC friends.
That's sad.

I recently just reinstalled Quake 2 with the Action mod... mmm. Now those are some old times brought back.

There might not be as many servers out there playing AQ2 as CounterStrike, but when you live in the dorms and you've installed Quake 2 on most of your friends' computers, there's ALWAYs a lag-free LAN game waiting to be played.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

NETTEN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2003, 02:13 PM

Why I still use a PC in my home? just for counterstrike!

CS is much better than medal of honour, the latter is too detail to be fun.

Once I can play CS at Mac, I'll get a Powerbook in no time.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2003, 09:37 AM

I use my old old computer, which runs windows xp very well to play CS and HL. Although I do have a UT mac version in the post as we speak so hopefully UT online will replace my addiction to CS. Hopefully.
we don't have time to stop for gas

TheOtherOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2003, 01:35 PM

Why dont you get Virtual PC 6 from connectix (see VPC thread under Powerbook) as somebody claims they can run cs very well... CS is kepping me from buying a 15" G4 Powerbook
**Damn Right**

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2003, 05:21 PM

probably still to damn slow , maybe pple with dual 1.25 ; 1.42

I manage to play commandos 2 pretty good with VPC , on my dual 800

I will try cs out heh, who knows.

ryju  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2003, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by TheOtherOne:
Why dont you get Virtual PC 6 from connectix (see VPC thread under Powerbook) as somebody claims they can run cs very well... CS is kepping me from buying a 15" G4 Powerbook
I've tried CS on Virtual PC running windows 2000 and it's way too laggy. Ofcourse I only have the computer in my sig. A dual 1.42GHz would probably be thrice as good. But still slow.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 03:05 AM

You'll have to play the game with software rendering mode in VPC so it'd be virtually pointless to bother.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 05:58 PM

I have tried to play several games with VPC (even ones without intense 3D graphics). Most are far too slow to be enjoyable.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 07:09 PM

vpc is a joke.

i cant even run windows 98 on my dual 867/512/9000
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

xyber233
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by DBvader:
vpc is a joke.

i cant even run windows 98 on my dual 867/512/9000
Don't run 98 because it runs like crap. Try 2000.

ryju  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2003, 07:39 PM

That is so true. 2000 runs better than 98...any day. So it seems. ^_o

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2003, 01:16 PM

I play CS alot. But a Mac version would rock, I could live with Mac Vs mac
we don't have time to stop for gas

warpmoon
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2003, 02:29 PM

[rant]
People actually get PC's just to play CS? CS isn't even that good, it's all about hype and the fact that it lucked out and managed to attract a huge following.

Now if you wanted a PC just so you could play some real quality games, like Tribes 2 or Homeworld or perhaps so you could use the NWN Tooset, *then* I could understand it, but getting one just to play CS? HA!
[/rant]

Samba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2003, 07:19 AM

Thank God there's Strike Force which allows PC/Mac network game since 1.8

Phil

Forum Links
Forum Rules