Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Nationalistic Corporate Protection

Nationalistic Corporate Protection
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2020, 06:28 AM

So is Trump hoping he will trigger a backlash across other nations of governments screwing over Chinese companies as punishment for the way the Chinese government seems to treat many foreign companies on their own soil?

I can't imagine demanding a cut of the deals he forces to happen going down very well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53633315
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Aug 4, 2020, 07:32 AM

All because he's still butthurt over a bunch of kids dorking with his little rally.

Can a president unilaterally ban a discrete product? I've not heard any authoritative discussion about this.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 4, 2020, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Can a president unilaterally _____________?
I feel like every time we've asked this question over the past four years, the answer has been "holy shit I guess they can."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2020, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I feel like every time we've asked this question over the past four years, the answer has been "holy shit I guess they can."
It's actually always been "Absolutely not, but the institutions installed in government explicitly to keep the president within his legal boundaries have decided to forgo their democratic duty and enable the national descent into dictatorship."

Thorzdad
Aug 4, 2020, 10:09 AM

An American president publicly soliciting a bribe/payback. Utter insanity.

andi*pandi
Aug 4, 2020, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
It's actually always been "Absolutely not, but the institutions installed in government explicitly to keep the president within his legal boundaries have decided to forgo their democratic duty and enable the national descent into dictatorship."
The institutions in federal government that have had their leadership replaced by top Trump donaters, unsurprisingly don't care about democratic duty but only about furthering their own corporate agendas via the placements they have paid so much for.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2020, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
An American president publicly soliciting a bribe/payback. Utter insanity.
There's so much insanity, DAILY, that that really just recedes into noise. You're talking about Ukraine, right?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2020, 06:50 PM

There's so much insanity, DAILY, that that really just recedes into noise. You're talking about Ukraine, right?
And you are talking about Biden, right ?

-t

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2020, 07:29 PM

@turtle:

I was hoping to hear a conservative opinion on this one. I would assume 'Forcing foreign companies to sell us their valuable assets = good, making us pay a kickback for it = bad'.
Does it even out to neutral or is one of those quantities bigger than the other?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2020, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
And you are talking about Biden, right ?

-t
What? I find it stunning that the blatant and overt corruption of the Trump administration, Trump himself, and his family and cronies could even be considered a partisan issue.

It's like wearing a mask to help protect against a disease, or rescuing someone drowning at sea, or the Earth being a spheroid, or gravity, or carjacking.

You don't get to pick sides depending on your political stance. These aren't political issues.
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Aug 4, 2020 at 07:57 PM. )

OreoCookie
Aug 4, 2020, 07:45 PM

I thought Sarah Cooper’s brilliant Trump impressions were what drew crosshairs on TikTok.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2020, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I thought Sarah Cooper’s brilliant Trump impressions were what drew crosshairs on TikTok.
That. Along with TikTok users reserving tons of seats at Trump's Tulsa rally with no intention of going. Leading the Trump Campaign to brag about the huge turnout they expected that would overflow the auditorium. And then it ended up being half-empty. You know President Petty wasn't going to let that go unanswered.

OAW

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2020, 10:17 PM

What? I find it stunning that the blatant and overt corruption of the Trump administration, Trump himself, and his family and cronies could even be considered a partisan issue.

It's like wearing a mask to help protect against a disease, or rescuing someone drowning at sea, or the Earth being a spheroid, or gravity, or carjacking.

You don't get to pick sides depending on your political stance. These aren't political issues.
It’s funny, I didn’t say anything about Trump not being corrupt.
I find it very interesting that people don’t do their homework and quote Ukraine as an example of Trump corruption, in light of the massive entanglement of the Biden family.

There are way better examples for Trump corruption than Ukraine.

-t

OreoCookie
Aug 4, 2020, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
That. Along with TikTok users reserving tons of seats at Trump's Tulsa rally with no intention of going. Leading the Trump Campaign to brag about the huge turnout they expected that would overflow the auditorium. And then it ended up being half-empty. You know President Petty wasn't going to let that go unanswered.
Although I should add that we should not allow our attention to be diverted from the important topics of the day, which are the pandemic and racial equality. Of all the things that the Chinese government does and the US (and the West at large) should keep an eye on, TikTok is definitely not at the top of the list.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 10, 2020, 09:32 AM

I find it very interesting that people don’t do their homework and quote Ukraine as an example of Trump corruption, in light of the massive entanglement of the Biden family.
I find it interesting that those that want so badly to justify their preference for the Republican party will voraciously lap up any bogeyman the media will feed them.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2020, 11:01 AM

Its still just whataboutism. "Biden did a naughty thing once, that totally invalidates the fact that our guy is a racist, treasonous, incompetent, corrupt, rapey, misogynist pedophile!"

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2020, 05:04 PM

There are way better examples for Trump corruption than Ukraine.
You're really doing the Biden thing wrt Ukraine? Wow.

Those two things are not equivalent.

There are things that are directly comparable — like, say Ivanka's use of a private email server for official business, and Hilary's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules