Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > AppleTV alternatives

AppleTV alternatives
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2009, 10:05 AM

I've been shopping around for a product with similar functionality of the AppleTV.

I guess after finally investing in a HDTV, i'd like a way to get my media onto the screen.

TV = 32" 1080p w/ HDMI

I considered the AppleTV and disregarded it for now. why ?
-price
-HDD capacity
-file formats supported
-output resolution
-aesthetically and functionally it still feels very clunks

I came across the Western Digital's TV Live, and this product seems almost too good to be true.
-2XUSB ports for plug-n-play access to mass storage (and yes it supports HFS+)
-small size
-supports a multitude of file formats(the only one missing that matters to me is the iTMS stuff(DRM))
-1080p output (1080p menu system as well)
-cheaper than AppleTV

Right now the only downside to this product(when compared to the AppleTV) is it's inability to playback protected iTMS content. What do you guys think ? Does anyone have/use this ?

Right now, i think the WDTV is a better product in almost every respect(well except for that remote).

A word to Apple regarding the AppleTV:
I realize you categorize this product as a 'hobby'. but take note XB360, PS3, Wii, etc.....are all delivery mechanisms of content, and if you are serious about content(TV and movie) delivery, give the people what they want....heck sell it at cost if you have to at this point. While i realize that there is no 1080p content on iTMS at the moment, that could very well change in the near-to-mid-term. Don't market different capacities, get rid of the HDD all together (have a couple of gigs internal as a buffer if needed), and have a product anyone cap pick up, plug a storage device into and connect to a HDTV. give users the ability to use quicktime codecs on the device as well (with music you allowed us to use MP3s). have all the current functionality at 1080p. bundle in an Apple remote and a HDMI cable. make the device smaller and cheeper.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I realize you categorize this product as a 'hobby'. but take note XB360, PS3, Wii, etc.....are all delivery mechanisms of content, and if you are serious about content(TV and movie) delivery, give the people what they want....heck sell it at cost if you have to at this point. While i realize that there is no 1080p content on iTMS at the moment, that could very well change in the near-to-mid-term. Don't market different capacities, get rid of the HDD all together (have a couple of gigs internal as a buffer if needed), and have a product anyone cap pick up, plug a storage device into and connect to a HDTV. give users the ability to use quicktime codecs on the device as well (with music you allowed us to use MP3s). have all the current functionality at 1080p. bundle in an Apple remote and a HDMI cable. make the device smaller and cheeper.
Yes, good points. Thanks.

-Steve

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2009, 11:18 AM

Wow, this is what the Apple TV should've been!

Thanks for posting this! Now I'm excited!

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2009, 03:30 PM

I've been just using a G4 Mac Mini. I set Front Row launch at startup and can access media locally or on my network. I'm looking to upgrade to an intel Mini so I can use Hulu desktop.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2009, 03:43 PM

I like the Popcorn Hour. Seems very sleek and does everything I need it to do.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2009, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I've been shopping around for a product with similar functionality of the AppleTV.

I guess after finally investing in a HDTV, i'd like a way to get my media onto the screen.

TV = 32" 1080p w/ HDMI

I considered the AppleTV and disregarded it for now. why ?
-price
-HDD capacity
-file formats supported
-output resolution
-aesthetically and functionally it still feels very clunks

I came across the Western Digital's TV Live, and this product seems almost too good to be true.
-2XUSB ports for plug-n-play access to mass storage (and yes it supports HFS+)
-small size
-supports a multitude of file formats(the only one missing that matters to me is the iTMS stuff(DRM))
-1080p output (1080p menu system as well)
-cheaper than AppleTV

Right now the only downside to this product(when compared to the AppleTV) is it's inability to playback protected iTMS content. What do you guys think ? Does anyone have/use this ?

Right now, i think the WDTV is a better product in almost every respect(well except for that remote).

I've been looking for a good media centre solution as well, and this looks promising. Newegg has them in stock for $130 CDN, as well, which is a VERY tempting price point.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2009, 03:41 AM

Well I went ahead and picked up the WD TV Live, and am loving it so far. Any questions, fire away. I haven't put it all of it's paces yet, but can try out a few things if there's something specific you want to know that I haven't run into yet. That said, it's a fairly straight forward unit - it basically just works exactly as advertised.

The one thing that wasn't clear from WD's website is that the TV Live has no problem at all streaming HD content from a network devices, as opposed to having a USB drive connected to it directly. That's the setup I'm running and it's been flawless. I haven't tried resolutions beyond 720p yet, mind you, but I also only have a 10/100 home network.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2009, 09:44 AM

IIRC, Hawkeye_a, you said you were planning on picking up a PS3. May as well wait until you get it before spending the extra cash on a dedicated set-top box. It’ll easily play lots of video formats. I usually just sneakernet stuff over from my Mac via a USB drive, but there are both free and non-free options for streaming over your home network (I’ve used Vuze, the bittorrent client, as a media server, and it’s pretty painless).

I think Hulu is blocking the PS3 browser, and I always have buffering issues with YouTube on it. But for video you’ve already downloaded a home Mac/PC, the PS3 is pretty handy.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2009, 03:22 AM

Yeah it's all up in the air right now. i want an efficient way of getting content onto my HDTV (efficient = least complicated, try to avoid mirroring data, etc).

I thought the PS3 would be optimal, but seeing as how i'd have to set up some kind of a DLNA network thing, or copy my content over, it didnt seem as simple as it should be. it will eventually be my BR-DVD player tho. With the WDHDTV, i can have my mass storage device plugged in(and easily swappable, updateable, etc) with minimal effort, and i wont have to mirror any data. (can i plug in an external HDD formatted in HFS+ format into the PS3 and watch the media off there?) but then i double up on hardware....ugh. i guess if the PS3 can support all the codecs it's probably the least expensive way to go with a BRDVD included in the same box.

Im putting off this decision until Christmas, and will use my MB to run the HDTV. I looked into the older PS3s for the PS2 compatibility i want, and the prices are ridiculous.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2009, 11:16 AM

I’ve only tried FAT formatted HD on my PS3. I doubt it’ll read HFS+, though. Have you checked teh Google?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2009, 01:53 PM

Has anybody here tried Moovidia or Freevo on Linux?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2009, 08:01 PM

Nonsense to Linux.

A used Mac Mini can be picked up for $300 or thereabouts. Best media solution there is, in my opinion.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2009, 12:22 AM

It is, although what got me started with my MythTV box is that I wanted a DVR.

ph0ust
Senior User
Oct 25, 2009, 03:42 PM

i've never seen popcorn hour before, but just checked it out. it looks pretty damn cool actually. anyone owners here want to provide a review of it to let us know what you think. that would be awesome. thanks.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2009, 11:03 AM

well i've come to a decision .......
I'm going to give Apple till the middle of January to come out with a product that can match this, if not surpass it....... if they dont ill be getting a WD HD TV Live.

At the end of the day it comes down to features required by the user and supported by the devices...... WDHDTV has most of it, AppleTV has almost none. And price hasnt even been a factor.

Forum Links
Forum Rules