Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 164)
jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2008, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Not really, the point it HDTV is still new and trying to becoming a standard, eventually everything will be HD whether you believe it or not. You seems to think this is an overnight process. Right now it is being marketed at the home, not cars and portable players, as it should at this point in its life. Once the technology has been out there for a while and stuff is cheap (your $100 player price) they can make them for cars and portables easily. Movies already scale from 480p to 1080p for SDTV and up. Once the players have more of a market studios can just create Blu-ray movies only if they want. However, I think they will need at least 5-10 years I think before that is even a thought, like I said this is not an overnight process.
The point I meant is that there is absolutely no need for a 5" screen to be 1080p. The human eye can only process so much, and there's a point where 1080p becomes irrelevant. (See http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html) My guess is that on a 5-7" screen you'd have to be sitting within inches of it to be able to notice a resolution that high. So what would be the point of an HD 5" screen other than a proof of concept?

If you think about it that way, there is no need for car players or portable players to move to HD (unless the screen sizes start increasing). So if Blu-Rays eventually take over for DVDs, they *will* be played on SD sets.

And on top of that, until Blu-Rays can be played everywhere like DVDs are (like in the car and on portables), they will not be able to surpass DVDs. That will take manufacturers creating a much better experience (faster loading, better navigation, etc) at a much cheaper price.

Honestly, I don't see Blu-Ray ever getting to where it needs to be to before downloads take over. It will simply take too long for manufacturers to get their act together and by then it will be too late.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2008, 02:07 PM

I have a very small LCD screen (6 inch?) built into my treadmill. Even a relatively low quality DVD (eg. Fox Lorber discs) displayed via composite cable looks fine.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
The point I meant is that there is absolutely no need for a 5" screen to be 1080p. The human eye can only process so much, and there's a point where 1080p becomes irrelevant. (See http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html) My guess is that on a 5-7" screen you'd have to be sitting within inches of it to be able to notice a resolution that high. So what would be the point of an HD 5" screen other than a proof of concept?

If you think about it that way, there is no need for car players or portable players to move to HD (unless the screen sizes start increasing). So if Blu-Rays eventually take over for DVDs, they *will* be played on SD sets.

And on top of that, until Blu-Rays can be played everywhere like DVDs are (like in the car and on portables), they will not be able to surpass DVDs. That will take manufacturers creating a much better experience (faster loading, better navigation, etc) at a much cheaper price.

Honestly, I don't see Blu-Ray ever getting to where it needs to be to before downloads take over. It will simply take too long for manufacturers to get their act together and by then it will be too late.
I agree with you. That isn't what I'm talking about in this case. My point is, in time, moving to ONE format than can scale them all. It doesn't have to display 1080p on a portable. The same disc can display SD up to HD. Right now, due to price its targeted at the home market, when it is cheaper then it can be targeted to the portable market. AKA when DVD players are no longer made and only Blu-ray players are sold. During this time, movie prices are irrelevant as well as player prices.

I think downloads will be offered to complement Blu-ray, especially with companies putting caps on bandwidth, and companies trying to nickle and dime customers with service business models, this might not take off as fast as everyone thinks.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2008, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Hate to break it to you, but Blu-ray releases often suck too, by design. Many Disney Blu-ray releases suck royally. Unnecessarily complex navigation, designed specifically to make you watch as many idiotic trailers as possible.
I hit the >| skip ahead >| button a few times and I'm thru the trailers in 5 seconds. Does that work for you?

Edit: Actually I take it back. I tried it to see how long it too and my PS3 now won't respond to either the remote or the controller AT ALL. What a POS. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Anyone heard of any PS3 viruses' or anything like that? WTF
( Last edited by mrtew; Dec 31, 2008 at 03:00 PM. )

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2008, 02:56 PM

lol

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
I hit the >| skip ahead >| button a few times and I'm thru the trailers in 5 seconds. Does that work for you?

Edit: Actually I take it back. I tried it to see how long it too and my PS3 now won't respond to either the remote or the controller AT ALL. What a POS. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Anyone heard of any PS3 viruses' or anything like that? WTF
They actually do that on purpose and FORCE you to watch the damn previews. You figure since you PAID for the movie you could skip and watch it when you put the disc in.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2008, 03:06 PM

They actually do that on purpose and FORCE you to watch the damn previews. You figure since you PAID for the movie you could skip and watch it when you put the disc in.
Yeah, I feel like I should sue the movie companies for not providing an opt out from their previews via hitting the menu button.

Then again, why do I have to see/sit through disclaimers on half of DVDs too?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2008, 03:07 PM

the previews can be nice. i just pop the disk in and then go get my food and by the time i come back the movie is ready to play.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
the previews can be nice. i just pop the disk in and then go get my food and by the time i come back the movie is ready to play.
That doesn't make the previews nice. That only shows that the movie companies have conditioned you to create workarounds to actually watching them. It's no different than going to take a dump during a commercial. Doesn't make the commercials 'nice.'

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2008, 03:17 PM

Well you didn't actually pay for the movie. The movie cost 200 million dollars and you only paid $25. So to make up the difference you have to watch a preview for another movie. Another way of looking at it would be that if there weren't any previews you'd come here and complain that you were cheated and you are thinking of suing to get what you paid for! It'd sure be nice if there were 20 - 50 previews on the disk that you could freely watch or not thru an extras menu though eh.

Also I figured out that my remote came un-paired and after re-pairing it I can now skip previews again. I put in Wall*E and hit the >| skip button 8 times and then press play and the movie is going in about 15 seconds. So I take back everyone's complaints :-]
( Last edited by mrtew; Dec 31, 2008 at 03:53 PM. )

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2008, 03:23 PM

Fair enough. You paid to watch THAT movie, not the previews of something else. Better?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2008, 03:36 PM

so do you get mad when you go to the theaters and are forced to watch previews of movies coming out?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2008, 03:53 PM

By then 2160p will be moving in, it's already available if you have really deep pockets (~$75k). For such a resolution we'll have Blu-Ray+ (X-BD), and I can't imagine downloads will be able to match that type of quality.

(*so is 4096p/4360p, but it's requirements place it squarely in the commercial arena.)
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2008, 04:07 PM

yes.... 2160p looks amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgwHP8g8pQs

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2008, 04:21 PM

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2008, 05:05 PM

I'd like to see actual 2160 video or higher! Is there someplace to download some?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 31, 2008, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
so do you get mad when you go to the theaters and are forced to watch previews of movies coming out?
Isn't that when like 95% of the audience bothers to show up? As in "they don't sit through the trailers." I personally would like the option of watching the trailers included in a disc or not; generally once I've watched a trailer I know whether I want to watch it again, so the second or third time I watch that disc, it's a waste of my time to watch the trailers-and plain old commercials-yet again.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2008, 06:42 PM

The good thing about cheap Chinese DVD players is several of them allow you to skip those trailers, even if the DVD is authored to prevent it.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
By then 2160p will be moving in, it's already available if you have really deep pockets (~$75k). For such a resolution we'll have Blu-Ray+ (X-BD), and I can't imagine downloads will be able to match that type of quality.

(*so is 4096p/4360p, but it's requirements place it squarely in the commercial arena.)
You're assuming that anyone would want a to sit close enough to a screen large enough for their eyes to discern the difference between 1080p and 2160p. That's probably something like a 100" screen if you sit 5' away.

Or rather, it'd be like sitting in the front row of a movie theater. Have fun with that.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 31, 2008, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The good thing about cheap Chinese DVD players is several of them allow you to skip those trailers, even if the DVD is authored to prevent it.
Do tell. Like which brands... I have a Sony DVD player, and it's party line all the way. Very unsportsmanlike of them.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2008, 08:20 PM

You're assuming that anyone would want a to sit close enough to a screen large enough for their eyes to discern the difference between 1080p and 2160p. That's probably something like a 100" screen if you sit 5' away.

Or rather, it'd be like sitting in the front row of a movie theater. Have fun with that.
Or sitting 20' away from a 15' screen, which a lot of HT enthusiasts want (including myself). I guarantee you can tell a difference between 1080p and 2160p at that distance with that much screen real estate.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/12/09...o-screen-size/

HT buffs, with resources and floor space, run projectors. 2160p looks to be perfect for us.
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2008, 09:07 PM

I have a Pioneer Elite upconverting DVD player I bought for $60 on Vanns. It has some really awesome features, such as:

Region Free
Auto-Play Movie (when turned on, it skips menus, trailers, warnings, etc. and gets right to the movie)
Movie Bookmarking (this also works in tandem with Auto-Play, I can bookmark movies to start and stop wherever I want when I insert the DVD.)
2x HDMI, composite video, and optical audio so I can use it with my older but still awesome receiver that doesn't have HDMI
USB port. I can hook up cameras and stuff and it'll automatically do a slideshow. I can also use it for quick and easy firmware updates.

Other features I enjoy: it doesn't make any beeps or sounds when you press buttons, and, it doesn't have any super bright LEDs on it that are completely distracting; it has a soft, amber display.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2008, 09:10 PM

I watch DVD's on my Mac Mini.

Skip commercials? Click on the "Menu" button.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2008, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Or sitting 20' away from a 15' screen, which a lot of HT enthusiasts want (including myself). I guarantee you can tell a difference between 1080p and 2160p at that distance with that much screen real estate.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/12/09...o-screen-size/

HT buffs, with resources and floor space, run projectors. 2160p looks to be perfect for us.
(Thanks for linking to the chart I posted further up this page, which doesn't even mention 2160p)

And you honestly think that there is a possibility of 2160p becoming anything more than an extremely niche "pro" product?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2008, 10:04 PM

(Thanks for linking to the chart I posted further up this page, which doesn't even mention 2160p)

And you honestly think that there is a possibility of 2160p becoming anything more than an extremely niche "pro" product?
You did pay attention to the scaling of the chart, how it showed that on a 180" screen you can easily see the difference between 1080p and 1440p. Right? 2160p will be fantastic for projectors and those who want an immersive HT experience.

Honestly, I don't care if it becomes "more than an extremely niche "pro" product". Just like I didn't care if LDs and Blu-Ray would hit mainstream. As long as it's available, and I can make use of it, that's fine with me. Watch what you want, there will always be better products for those who want them.
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2009, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Do tell. Like which brands... I have a Sony DVD player, and it's party line all the way. Very unsportsmanlike of them.
Don't remember. You have to just try them. Most of the ones I've noticed are the real noname brands, like the ones that show up at Wal-Mart for a few months and then disappear.

Same goes for region free players with good PAL conversion and disc compatibility. You just have to try a bunch until you find one... and then buy it immediately cuz in a few weeks it may not be at the store anymore. A few of them come region free out of the box, while others require some special remote code you can often find online... which may or may not work depending on the revision.

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I watch DVD's on my Mac Mini.

Skip commercials? Click on the "Menu" button.
That also works on standard DVD players... if the disc is authored to allow it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2009, 01:15 AM

Ugh. The wonders of HDMI and compatibility issues.

With my PT-AX200U projector, I'm getting green bands for a split second every 20 minutes or so in 1080p24 and 1080i60 movie playback. However, it only happens with my Sony Blu-ray player. I never seemed to get it with my 1080i60 DVI cable box, and it doesn't happen over component either (Xbox 360). (It also happens with the PS3 apparently, and some HD DVD players too.)

Apparently I need a firmware update... but the stupid part is there is no way for me to do it myself. It requires sending back the unit to Panasonic. Dammit.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2010, 12:05 AM

I would like to say that a dumbass bought 18 HD-DVDs from me and wants to return them because they won't play "on my Samsung BD player"... WTF. Did he read what he was bidding on?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2010, 12:48 AM

Judging by the titles he got ripped off royally even if they actually were blu-rays. ;-]

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 15, 2010, 08:26 AM

I think a lot of people have a memory only long enough to remember if they flushed...not that they'd go back and flush if they hadn't, mind you, just long enough to know whether or not they did. HD-DVD has been gone for about a year. Plenty of time for idiots the general public to forget.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2010, 08:54 AM

It's been a while since BD 'won' and now BD movies are selling quite fine as are players and games on BD are already here....

though *not* on the Mac.

I've been putting off buying a Mac until they have a BD drive and support BD movies. My old Mac is falling apart, but it seems a waste of money to buy a Mac today with only a DVD drive when a BD drive is inevitable.

Just look at the resolution of the iMac monitors and the 16:9 format. It says HD Video, but those Macs have *no* way of playing BD discs. It's like having a wonderful Cuban cigar and *no* matches!

Unacceptable. Grrr
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2010, 03:39 PM

I really wouldn't hold your breath on BR in Mac's too soon. In laptops I find it practically useless desktops might be ok but there are so many other alternatives that look just as good on a screen that size.

BD-R is also dead in the water. Too cumbersome, too expensive. People are going to be using external hard drives and memory sticks instead.

I'm beginning to hate this whole BR thing anyway.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
It's been a while since BD 'won' and now BD movies are selling quite fine as are players and games on BD are already here....
It's good that you put the "won" in quotes, because a Pyrrhic victory is still a loss.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I really wouldn't hold your breath on BR in Mac's too soon. In laptops I find it practically useless desktops might be ok but there are so many other alternatives that look just as good on a screen that size. I'm beginning to hate this whole BR thing anyway.
Please explain what the hell you are talking about for those of us not privy to the workings of your mind. What else would look as good on a non-laptop screen and why are beginning to hate BR??? Or is that just how you have conversations... tossing out nonsense and waiting for people to beg you to explain?

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
It's good that you put the "won" in quotes, because a Pyrrhic victory is still a loss.
How did the HD wars hurt Sony?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2010, 08:15 PM

I really wouldn't hold your breath on BR in Mac's too soon. In laptops I find it practically useless desktops might be ok but there are so many other alternatives that look just as good on a screen that size.

BD-R is also dead in the water. Too cumbersome, too expensive. People are going to be using external hard drives and memory sticks instead.

I'm beginning to hate this whole BR thing anyway.
I don't think BR will ever be found on a Mac. Digital download FTW.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2010, 08:29 PM

Please explain what the hell you are talking about for those of us not privy to the workings of your mind. What else would look as good on a non-laptop screen and why are beginning to hate BR??? Or is that just how you have conversations... tossing out nonsense and waiting for people to beg you to explain?

Hey worked didn't it.

Anywho, if you read this thread I WAS a big BR supporter up until the last 6 months or so.
Prob the biggest.

At the end of the day though I am beginning to hate it, can't wait for it to all go away. The reasons. Well I'll make a new thread about it to be more detailed.

As for my laptop point.... I know very few people who actually take DVD's with them on the road when traveling to watch movies. Perhaps if they go on a long trip they might bring a couple movies with them. None watch DVD's at home on a laptop.

Instead, many people rather rip their DVD to the hard drive at the very least. Uses little space, less battery, you can take a ton without carrying DVD's around. Many people already have digital copies of the movie that came legally with the DVD or BR. Other rent shows/movies. Many pirate.

On a laptop I see a VERY small market for people who want the extra cost of a BR drive built in and think they need better than DVD quality movies with them on a laptop.

Now I have a million more reasons why BR is just crap by todays standards but I'll save it

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
I would like to say that a dumbass bought 18 HD-DVDs from me and wants to return them because they won't play "on my Samsung BD player"... WTF. Did he read what he was bidding on?
Haha... Tell him "No Returns Accepted".

I just bought 10 HDDVDs for $10 with free shipping.

$1 per movie.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2010, 08:35 PM

Here's what I bought recently.

Amazon.com: ASUS O!Play - TV HD Media Player (Black): Electronics

Plays like every freaking video format out there. Even flash and real media!

Plays DVD iso and Blu-ray iso. Just extract everything is hard drive.

My xbox 360 is too freaking noisy and loud with its fan.

The Asus box is silent. Just plug it into your network and stream everything over your local network. DLNA and UPNP support.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2010, 08:56 PM

i use my PS3 to play my media from my NAS and macs as yes the Xbox sucks and is loud.

For those without either of those things though this looks like the best alternative when it ships:
Boxee - Boxee Box by D-Link

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2010, 09:10 PM

Sure I don't see any particular point in BD on a laptop other than "because it is possible" - much like video on an iPhone.. but on a 27" widescreen iMac, I see the point of a BD movie.

If I use a good quality DVD on a 24" iMac (don't have a 27" yet due to lack of BD) I see the upscaling very clearly. No small wonder, it's almost 4x per pixel. Whatever, I want something more HD because I appreciate the details.

I don't have any digital downloads here where I am and there won't be any anytime soon. Even if there were, they're just 720p, as well you know. At a pretty lame bitrate. The 1080p trailers at apple.com aren't very good with gradients. Maybe the sold movies are better. I don't know.

However, I don't see myself buying digital downloaded movies. They are worse quality, they take up hard-drive and they can't be easily moved from one player to the next.

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I put 'won' in quotes because of this thread actually. However, BD is here, it is standard on Peezoids and will replace the DVD soon enough. I want it on Macs too, because I prefer Macs and digi-downloads are not available here. Apple doesn't seem to offer movie downloads in very many countries. ...

So it's 'illegal' downloads for me until I am presented with a legal and acceptable way of owning movies in HD.

Either way, digital downloads are not my thing. I like to use the hard-drive space for something like my own home made movies, my music and stuff. Movies are best kept in a shelf, where they have a package, a cover and maybe a leaflet.

Look how popular Apple TV is if you need confirmation on the future of digi-downloads for movies.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2010, 09:29 PM

AppleTV is a failure because rental cost is too high and the limitations on it are too restrictive.

Why rent from AppleTV for $3 when it's $1 from redbox?

If I rent 3 movies, it would be $9 from Apple and $3 from redbox.

I really don't care about owning movies. Most movies I just watch once.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2010, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
AppleTV is a failure because rental cost is too high and the limitations on it are too restrictive.

Why rent from AppleTV for $3 when it's $1 from redbox?

If I rent 3 movies, it would be $9 from Apple and $3 from redbox.

I really don't care about owning movies. Most movies I just watch once.
Apple TV is a failure right here because people *can't* rent from it. Now that's epic failure.

It's a failure even in countries where people *can* rent from it.

Downloaded/bought/rented movies are a flop (from Apple's perspective anyway) and they aren't even catering to the world - how many years has it been since movies and TV shows were available for download in the US?

Well, no sign of them here yet! No word either.

So I want to watch a movie. I can buy or rent a BD movie - but I can't watch it on my damn fine 27" iMac display. I could if I had a Dell. That's just sad.

..or I could if I just downloaded the BD rip off some torrent site. Either way, Apple gets no money from this.

Apple gets no money from me not renting a movie from them. (not available)
Apple gets no money from me not buying a movie from them. (not available)
Apple gets no money from me if I download a movie from torrent. (*availabale*!!)
Apple gets no money from me while they don't have a BD drive in their iMacs. (also not available)

Net result: I get my movie, Apple gets no money and it's probably in better quality than anything Apple is offering in the iTunes Store anyway. Ironically.

Whatever people (or Steve) think of digital downloads, one thing is clear. From Apple's perspective they are a complete flop. Apple TV is a flop. Still, I'd be surprised if the iTS isn't the most popular place for buying/renting movies in the few countries it is available, and it is still a flop)

So. My suggestion: put a BD drive in the iMacs. That's what's going to happen anyway.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2010, 10:47 PM

I think AppleTV is a failure because of the name... I can't get it out of my head that a very expensive way to watch TV even though I know it's about watching movies. It should be called iTheatre or something like that.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 16, 2010, 08:52 AM

I think Sony lost some serious "win" points after they drove Toshiba and HD-DVD into the dirt because it was a LONG time before BR player prices even edged downward. It looked like "profit time!!!" to a lot of people, instead of "now that this is settled, let's make BR players available to everyone." It looked very bad that the majority of "entry level" players were still around $300-unless you wanted to settle for an earlier BR standard, in which case you could get a player for $200.

This whole thing finally started moving toward market accessibility around this past holiday season, when lots of players (not just lesser/unknown brands) were available for much more affordable prices. A whole year to start cashing in on volume sales? Not a good strategy IMO.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2010, 10:00 AM

I don't like everything about BD, but it is good enough for what it is... *however* I really dislike the cases. They seem even more flimsy than DVD cases and that blue plastic is really ugly. Not that the red stuff on the HD DVD was any better, but there you go.

How about something more solid? A BD case should look good - at least as good as a DVD box.

Strange.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2010, 11:02 AM

i've started putting all my media in binders anyway, unless it is a special case. boxes/storage is always a problem if you have large collections.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2010, 12:50 PM

I still find it annoying that DVDs and Blu-rays are so freaking slow and clunky to navigate. Going from my TiVoHD to a Blu-ray I feel like a sprinter who goes from a sidewalk to a swamp.

Watch a show on my TiVo =

Hit the TiVo button on my remote.
Wait 3 seconds for everything to turn on.
Hit the Menu button. (Responsively) scroll to want I want to watch. boop boop boop
Hit play. Boom. Show starts.
Wait, I want to watch the second half. boop boop boop. There we go...

Time elapsed = less then 10 seconds

Now for the Blu-ray...
Hit the Blu-ray button on my remote.
Wait 3 seconds for everything to turn on.
Take out a disc and put it into the player.
Wait for the player to start up.
Okay, now it's started and the disc is loading.
Wait.
Wait.
Wait.
And...
Wait.
Okay, it's a logo for something...
wait...
loading screen...
wait...
another logo...
wait...
trailer... can't skip it... fast forward...
another trailer... can't skip it... fast forward... no, I pushed fast forward... come on...
AND another f***ing trailer... fast forward...
Okay, it's the main menu...
Hit play....
wait...
wait...
it's the movie. I want to start at the second half. Let's hit fast forward. Blup, blop, stutter, chunk chunk...

ah, f*** it. Let's just go to scene select. MENU. Nothing happens. No mother****er. I said menu. Nothing happens. Top menu? Nothing. Push up on the direction pad. Nothing. Okay. Push to the right on the menu pad. Okay, a stupid tab slides out. Scroll (unresponsively) to scene select. Hit enter.
wait...
scroll (unresponsively) to the second set of selectable scenes...
wait...
pick one...
wait...
AND now, here we are!!!1!!

Time elapsed = 3-4 minutes...

It's not just the startup time, it's everything. Navigating a TiVo is smooth like butter. You hit a button and it just works. Menus scroll by smoothly and responsively. Everything is just snappy.

Blu-ray and DVD by contrast just feels slow and clunky. Fast forwarding and skipping feels clunky and unresponsive. Everything just feels so clunky and slow.
( Last edited by ort888; Feb 16, 2010 at 12:56 PM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2010, 01:17 PM

Fast forward and skipping on Blu-Ray is never a problem for me on the PS3. Very smooth. Yes, the trailers are annoying, but that's the fault of the studios, not the platform.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2010, 01:30 PM

Trailers are annoying as heck, especially one's programmed so you can't skip them - though I don't think I have any such movie (and I have hundreds of DVDs) but I have rented such a DVD.

I thought it was only on rented DVDs for that reason... maybe it's different in the USA.

However there is another annoying thing, when some studios put a minute long video in front of a movie about the evils of piracy and don't allow me to skip it. That's happened on many DVDs.

I've almost resorted to pirating said movie (i.e. rip it and distribute it on the net) just because those assholes damage my copy of the movie with a non-skippable bullcrap intro about piracy.

Seriously though, Americans you have to grow a backbone and tell your studios to stop putting non-skippable trailers in front of the movies you buy legal copies of..

You were buying a copy of a movie, not trailers after all.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2010, 02:34 PM

I am seriously giving up on most DVD's and BR disks because of this reason.

I know that if I want to watch a movie I should put in the disk and come back in 3-5 min when all the FBI warnings and "Blu-ray is awesome and so are we" promos run. If I'm lucky they even cram it full of trailers you can't skip only FF that last another 10.

After I hit play I get to go through more logos and FBI warning.

Vs.

I hit play on the pirated rip of the movie and it starts to play right away with no warning, promos or trailers.

And one of those 2 situations cost me money.

Idiot companies. Even when they already got our money they still got to mess it up for us somehow and sell us more crap.

Forum Links
Forum Rules